OIL

BVILady

I know nobody is going to be able to predict the future. But I am going to be so upset if after 2020/2021 and as it comes to World Cruises 2022 my plans for the World Cruise January 2023 are going to be cancelled again. I know that is a minor problem in comparison to people in the middle of a war losing loved-one's. Just venting. I am not getting any younger 🥲😪😪🥲

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BVILady said:

Just venting. I am not getting any younger

I understand!  Last got home on January 31, 2020 from what I fear will have been my final three cruises.  For more cruising, the desire is there; the financial resources are there.  But, my physical condition keeps reminding me:  "is traveling again the smartest decision you have ever made"?  

• Like 1

Unless the current situation escalates, I don't expect the 2022/23 World Cruises to be cancelled. With our preferred cruise line, I have no doubt they have the experience and policies in place to ensure we are safe and still get a WC experience.

The current Viking World Cruise is already more than 50% complete and other than a small number of  COVID infections the first couple of weeks, the ship has been COVID free. They only missed 2 ports during the first week.

However, if the terms & conditions of the cruise contract permits, some cruise lines may have some significant fuel surcharges and all cruise lines may make adjustments to the itinerary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I understand!  Last got home on January 31, 2020 from what I fear will have been my final three cruises.  For more cruising, the desire is there; the financial resources are there.  But, my physical condition keeps reminding me:  "is traveling again the smartest decision you have ever made"?  

So you were lucky to get some cruises in just before the lock-downs. My son and me had been on a Safari in Kenya in January 2020 and I almost didn't go since I had slipped on wet tiles and dislocated a disk. Thank the lord that I am so tight-fisted, everything was prepaid and at that date not possible to cancel and I made it and surprisingly did good thanks to all the tips of my PT. A friend of mine fell last year and she is as good as bedridden can barely move around, so that shows you how fast it can go. So I exercise, walk the hills to get my heart-rate up and stay positive as far as it concerns my physical fitness. Got a treadmill for rainy days at least my daughter makes use off, so not the usual wasted money for exercise-equipment.  Somehow I need to be outside with a goal and a point to get back to, exercise equipment get's to monotone and boring for me. My friend coming with me on the January 2023 cruise will turn 78 in the first month of the cruise and is a little concerned. But she is like me and hiking the hills for exercise, as much as we are actually able to. My contract already calls for a fuel-surcharge and I am completely okay if they do increase that with the great rate I do have, just hoping it will be reasonable. So I hope you rkacruiser, Heidi 13 and everyone else having future WC plans stay healthy and be able to get onto your planned World Cruise (or two 😁😄😁) And let's all hope that this craziness is over soon.

• Like 4

I would hope the cruise lines locked in some prices when oil prices plummeted during the pandemic. Oil is traded on the futures market like any other commodity and the prices are based on speculation - as well as the basic law of the marketplace: the law of supply and demand.

The last time the cruise lines added some surcharges they were not very well received.  I for one offset the fuel surcharges by reducing my on-board spending by a commiserate amount and let them know about it.

The consumer is in the driver's seat on lots of economic issues.