What's embarkation like now?

AandBmom

It's been 4 years since we cruised.  I read somewhere that you get your cabin keys outside your room now.  

So what happens at embarkation? Is it faster now?  

If we need to change keys or get extras due to children in other cabins, what/when is the most efficient way to do this?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AandBmom said:

It's been 4 years since we cruised.  I read somewhere that you get your cabin keys outside your room now.  

So what happens at embarkation? Is it faster now?  

If we need to change keys or get extras due to children in other cabins, what/when is the most efficient way to do this?

Depends on which port, some enforce arrival appointments and some don't.  Cards are placed outside rooms and you can go at 1:30 pm to get it and drop bags.  You just go (with everyone) and ask for extra entry keys.

• Like 1

Our last cruise in OCT (Dream) embarkation was relatively quick when we arrived in our window. Sign and Sail cards will be outside your cabin at 1:30 and then if you need extra cards for kids cabin just go down to guest services. We had our teenagers in another cabin although when we booked it was one adult and one teen in each, guest service will just make you spare cards to unlock the cabin as needed. I would recommend waiting until late the first night or even the second morning for the initial rush to die down at guest services, I am just the kind of person that is unwilling to stand in a long line for a simple 3 minute transaction that isn't an emergency when on vacation. 

Thursday the wife and I are going out of Mobile and will be using the new VeriFLY that is being rolled out that has been promoted to speed up the embarkation time so we will see how that goes.

• Like 1

I was at the Long Beach port 2 weeks ago.  It was very organized - they had several staff members at the entrance to the terminal checking boarding passes for appointment times and directing people to the right lines.  At the first check-in initial documents were checked (Vaccine card/Negative Covid test matched to ID).  Next, we went through security and on to the next check-in line where again, someone was looking at every boarding pass and directing people to 1 of 3 lines (Passengers in Suites, Diamond/Platinum, and everybody else).  After that line, we waited for our boarding group to be called.  Then it was a quick pass through the facial recognition checkpoint and onto the ship.

Room cards were in our "mailbox" outside our cabin by 1:00.  If you want to order a drink or buy something prior to getting to the room to get the card, just show them your boarding pass and they get the pertinent info off of it to charge your room.

Have a great trip!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dadofsix said:

Our last cruise in OCT (Dream) embarkation was relatively quick when we arrived in our window. Sign and Sail cards will be outside your cabin at 1:30 and then if you need extra cards for kids cabin just go down to guest services. We had our teenagers in another cabin although when we booked it was one adult and one teen in each, guest service will just make you spare cards to unlock the cabin as needed. I would recommend waiting until late the first night or even the second morning for the initial rush to die down at guest services, I am just the kind of person that is unwilling to stand in a long line for a simple 3 minute transaction that isn't an emergency when on vacation. 

Thursday the wife and I are going out of Mobile and will be using the new VeriFLY that is being rolled out that has been promoted to speed up the embarkation time so we will see how that goes.

The VeriFLY was supposed to be rolled at at the Magic sailing on 2/26 but everyone was lumped into either the "To Get Tested" line or the boarding line.  They never even checked arrival appointment times.

Soooo smooth. I get on the boat in 30-45 mins (thats from when getting out of the car until i am on) or less with 8 ish people. I love the way they do it now! I sail out of Long Beach.

I made a bunch of changes and got a bunch of extra keys ( for my kids) at the front desk and there was no issues

Edited by KyloRen

Embarcation is much quicker now, even with the vaccine cards and testing proof having to be checked. I sail out of Galveston. They stick to the time on your boarding pass, if you are earlier you are asked to go stand in a line, if you're later it doesn't matter. Seems like they have more employees at the check-in desk, too. The facial recognition screens speed things up, too. The whole process is streamlined, you no longer have the long lines and the terminal lobby packed with people.

That and the new muster drill make embarcation a lot better.