Stop in Kodiak

2Xayear

We stop in Kodiak and wondered about getting to Brooks Falls in Katmai National Park and I see there is a water taxi from Kodiak. Anyone have any thoughts if this is viable with arriving at 11:00 and and departing at 7:00?

I thought CC used to have a board devoted to each port of any consequence. Has this been dropped?

Not many ships stop in Kodiak.  I’ve been to Kodiak on the HAL 14 day cruises and never considered bear watching from there but read of one family who flew to a nearby location to view Kodiak bears.  Have you seen the Brooks Falls bears on the Explore.org webcam?  Check the Kodiak visitor information online.  I really don’t think a water taxi could get you there.  Most people fly to Katmai N.P. from Anchorage but you could fly from Kodiak.  Your time is very limited.  You don’t know what time you will get off the ship and you have to be onboard 30 minutes before sailaway.  

I think that it is a 3-4 hr  one way flight so no water taxi is going to cut it. On one of our stops in Kodiak a person we talked to flew to see the bears and had a great time. It was about 1/2 way into the cruise season and they said they were the first flight that wasn't canceled by weather. Homer also has flights but I couldn't get the times to work out when we were there. sightcrr

Years ago I took a ferry from Homer to Kodiak. It was called the " Vomit Comet" by the locals. 16 ft. seas supported the name. Was fogged in there for 3 days and really couldn't find much to do there.

The Water Taxi (Katmai Water Taxi) is a 45-60 minute trip to Katmai National Park. Unsure where the water taxi drops you off but it's close to Brooks Fall. Were only in Kodiak from 11:00 until 8:00 so one could conceivably book a 1:00 departure and a 6:00 return but that will only give about 3 hours of bear watching. Float plane is faster and more expensive but subject to more weather issues than the taxi. I am still considering.

Looks to me that the KWT departs from King Salmon so you have to get from Kodiak to King Salmon which makes the time frames make more sense but cuts into time in Kodiak. Kodiak to King Salmon is 4.5 hr one way flight.  sightcrr

Edited by SightCRR

OK...it seems a rather major error on my part. 😞 I was under the wrong assumption that the water taxi departed from somewhere in Kodiak and NOT a several hour flight to King Salmon Alaska Airport. Me bad!! I guess this trip is off the table!!