Tram 26 Tickets Amsterdam

My cruise ends in Amsterdam and i would like to take tram 26 from the port to Central Station.  Can tickets be purchased on the tram?  Are there ticket machines on the platform?  All advice appreciated.

• Like 1

Good source of info here. We had a pass, so didn't have to buy a single trip ticket. One hour tickets and day passes can be purchased from the driver or conductor, but they are cashless. Chip card, tap and go, or Apple Pay/Google Pay probably best.

One of our Netherlands residents will pitch in, I'm sure. 

https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/plan-your-trip/getting-around/public-transport

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rgreenba said:

My cruise ends in Amsterdam and i would like to take tram 26 from the port to Central Station.  Can tickets be purchased on the tram?  Are there ticket machines on the platform?  All advice appreciated.

When I was there in the summer of 2018, you could pay as you entered the tram.  There were no machines at the platform.  For the tram, it was credit card only though, cash not accepted.  The problem was that none of our cards would work, even when I tried a debit card with the PIN.  I suspect it's because our US-issued cards are chip-and-signature instead of chip-and-PIN used in Europe.  I've encountered the same problem at various unmanned kiosks in several European countries.  Fortunately for us, the tram conductor took pity on us and let my family of four ride for free.

Edited by pkster

3 hours ago, pkster said:

When I was there in the summer of 2018, you could pay as you entered the tram.  There were no machines at the platform.  For the tram, it was credit card only though, cash not accepted.  The problem was that none of our cards would work, even when I tried a debit card with the PIN.  I suspect it's because our US-issued cards are chip-and-signature instead of chip-and-PIN used in Europe.  I've encountered the same problem at various unmanned kiosks in several European countries.  Fortunately for us, the tram conductor took pity on us and let my family of four ride for free.

You will find that throughout Europe you will need a chip and pin card.  We have experienced a lot of US people having problems regards that for a good number of years now, but I have also seen some with cards that do work, so is it possible to get a chip and pin card on the US?  If so, that is is the obvious way forward, if only an extra card to use over here.

10 hours ago, rgreenba said:

The trams, metros and most busses in Amsterdam are operated by the company called GVB. On their website GVB inform their customers about what tickets are available and where and how to buy them. If you’re only making this 1 tram journey, then a single 1-hour ticket is what you need. See here for where to buy it; https://reisproducten.gvb.nl/en/uur-en-dagkaarten/gvb-1-uur

If you check out that link, you will see you can buy the ticket in the tram, but that you can also use the GVB app to buy the ticket beforehand. 
If you plan on making more journeys with public transport, you might benefit from a (multi)day card. Let us know if you want help with that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dutch_Travelgirl,

Thank you for your reply.  Please explain what kind of ticket I need to purchase if I want to travel from Tram 26 to Central Station and then continuing onto Schipol Airport (same trip).  Is that one ticket or two?  Is the trip all within the GVB system?  Many thanks.

To travel between Amsterdam Centraal and Schiphol you need to take the train. The train station at Schiphol is located right beneath the airport, so very convenient. 
The train is operated by the national railway company called NS, so you need a separate train ticket. See here for the website of NS https://www.ns.nl/en

Edited by Dutch_Travelgirl