No More Kids in the Suite Lounge During the Evening Hours

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Not in any state where I've ever lived.

Guess you haven't lived in Florida then. Children are allowed in an establishment only if 50% or more of the sales comes from food. If less than 50% of sales are from food, children are not allowed.

2 hours ago, twinmommy08 said:

They will still allow children in DL and suite lounges and suggestion otherwise is complete nonsense. The question of should parents bring their children to the lounges is another topic. 

The laws in the United States about being illegal to bring children into a bar is not blanket, i.e. federal. Each state and locality has their own “laws”. 

I don't think anyone ever said laws in the US were universal but it seems to me that many here keep confusing a restaurant that serves alcohol as well as food (such as a pub or gasthaus) with a bar. Two different kinds of places.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

I don't think anyone ever said laws in the US were universal but it seems to me that many here keep confusing a restaurant that serves alcohol as well as food (such as a pub or gasthaus) with a bar. Two different kinds of places.

The SL serves food too.  And several of the SLs are part of the CK restaurant (oasis class).  So the restaurant/bar analogy is completely reasonable.  

• Like 1

I always find these conversations interesting.  Parents act like it's going to ruin their children's lives if they're not allowed in absolutely everywhere.  My boys never went to a bar or winery/brewery until they were of age and it didn't ruin their lives nor do they feel like they missed out on anything.  

But, just follow the rules and Royal can make any rule they want even if people think it's dumb or outdated or whatever.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Janet524 said:

There's always going to be a debate on this.  As far as I'm concerned, as long as children are supervised and know how to behave I have no issue.  What I take issue with is those parents who disregard their child's behavior and allow them to become a nuisance to others.  IMO, those parents should be banned from the lounge.

Don’t know about banning but if kids are running around disrupting other guests something should be said to the parents — no matter their status level or how much they paid for their suite. IMO.  Katherine 

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, topnole said:

The SL serves food too.  And several of the SLs are part of the CK restaurant (oasis class).  So the restaurant/bar analogy is completely reasonable.  

Sells food. Peanuts and pretzels don't count as food sales in the US. And in Florida, the sales have to equal more than 50% of all sales in the establishment.

12 minutes ago, Computer Nerd said:

Sells food. Peanuts and pretzels don't count as food sales in the US. And in Florida, the sales have to equal more than 50% of all sales in the establishment.

Never had peanuts and pretzels in a SL.  But I have had a ton of coffee, juices, full breakfasts, full lunches, evening appetizers such as shrimp, and full dinners.  Many of the SL bars would be completely analogous to a restaurant bar on land.  Kids can belly right up to a restaurant bar in Florida by law.  The restaurant can insert their own policy on top of course.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I think OP is referring to this section, near the bottom:

"PRO TIP

Kids are welcome at the Suite Lounge during breakfast hours. In the evenings, the space is open to guests of legal drinking age.".

That text has been there for years. It's definitely not a new addition.

4 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I was just pointing out which part I thought the OP was referring to 😊

I know. I didn't see the text when I clicked on the link earlier, but that's the text I had seen several years ago when we first started family cruising with our young son and were concerned about that.  7 years later, never an issue, never even a question. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Computer Nerd said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I wasn't confused when I said it wasn't illegal in NY. I was talking about bars, not restaurants that sell alcohol. In NY children under 16 are allowed in bars with a parent or guardian. Of course individual bars can have their own rules, but it's not illegal. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BND said:

I always find these conversations interesting.  Parents act like it's going to ruin their children's lives if they're not allowed in absolutely everywhere.  My boys never went to a bar or winery/brewery until they were of age and it didn't ruin their lives nor do they feel like they missed out on anything.  

But, just follow the rules and Royal can make any rule they want even if people think it's dumb or outdated or whatever.

I think the point is that it isn’t going to ruin a child’s life if they are in a bar.  No biggie at all.  We aren’t talk about taking them to a bar at home.  On a ship, half the public places are bars.  Who cares if they are in a lounge.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

RC isn't banning kids from the suite lounge. You're looking at an old outdated page that doesn't mention anything about kids anyway.

The Liberty concierge's letter for next week said absolutely no kids from 5 to 8 pm. My 5 yo daughter loves the suite lounge and eating the chocolate strawberries and everyone knowing her name, etc.

When I got the letter I immediately contacted corporate and was told by the Director of Guest Services and Hotel Services that it was a mistake and there are no age limits.

Not sure if it was one rogue concierge or if they immediately reversed course from blowback.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, outtoseacruise said:

Once again someone walks in and screams fire on cruise critic. It's typical on here.

I spoke with a Suite Concierge yesterday and asked her about this. She read it to me straight from the "new" Suite Lounge Concierge SOP that they are allowed and must be with their parents/guardian sailing with them.

FYI: This was in the email I got yesterday from the Liberty Concierge yesterday. Which got something going on the big social media website when someone else posted it.

image.thumb.png.10519212608f3e0080541dfe5cbf2f10.png

14 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

The Liberty concierge's letter for next week said absolutely no kids from 5 to 8 pm. My 5 yo daughter loves the suite lounge and eating the chocolate strawberries and everyone knowing her name, etc.

When I got the letter I immediately contacted corporate and was told by the Director of Guest Services and Hotel Services that it was a mistake and there are no age limits.

Not sure if it was one rogue concierge or if they immediately reversed course from blowback.

I wonder if it's a new concierge just copy and pasting.  In the past that letter has just said those under 21 had to be accompanied by an adult during happy hour.

I'm glad you got feedback that it's a mistake. I'm actually on Liberty the following week in a suite so we'll see if the contents of the email change.

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Guess you haven't lived in Florida then. Children are allowed in an establishment only if 50% or more of the sales comes from food. If less than 50% of sales are from food, children are not allowed.

And 0% of the suite lounge sales come from alcohol. There is not a single bar on the entire ship that is 21 and over, absolutely no reason why the suite lounge should be. If it wasn't for my daughter I'd be in a balcony, not an owners suite. Royal should be treating her better than me.

Also kid's club for some insanely stupid reason is closed from 5-7, so your options are no parents in the lounge or kids left in the hallway unattended if they aren't allowed in the lounge.

And just like my daughter, neither my wife or I drink any alcohol but still enjoy going to the lounge before dinner. It's not like it is some drunk fest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I wonder if it's a new concierge just copy and pasting.  In the past that letter has just said those under 21 had to be accompanied by an adult during happy hour.

I'm glad you got feedback that it's a mistake. I'm actually on Liberty the following week in a suite so we'll see if the contents of the email change.

I searched for the concierge's name on here and got zero results, while I got a ton for past concierges. So I am assuming she is new and misunderstood either the policy or her authority. It only took the Director an hour to get back to me, so I don't think there was much internal debate. 

12 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I searched for the concierge's name on here and got zero results, while I got a ton for past concierges. So I am assuming she is new and misunderstood either the policy or her authority. It only took the Director an hour to get back to me, so I don't think there was much internal debate. 

Well Amit, an experienced concierge, was on Liberty recently, so maybe he rotated off.

25 minutes ago, OSUZorba said:

I wonder if she’s planning on enforcing the smart casual dress code at all times as well?

14 minutes ago, Jkaczanowski said:

I wonder if she’s planning on enforcing the smart casual dress code at all times as well?

I doubt it, but I figured I'd let someone else fight that battle. The only time I go with the concierge is there is pre-dinner so I already look respectable.

• Haha 1

Yeah, "no kids in bars" is far from a universal issue.  In Wisconsin, under-21's can drink with their parents...  In Illinois, we routinely take our 7 year old granddaughter to a bar for burgers (and believe me, the bar is way more than 50% of the revenue)... 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, topnole said:

Never had peanuts and pretzels in a SL.  But I have had a ton of coffee, juices, full breakfasts, full lunches, evening appetizers such as shrimp, and full dinners.  Many of the SL bars would be completely analogous to a restaurant bar on land.  Kids can belly right up to a restaurant bar in Florida by law.  The restaurant can insert their own policy on top of course.  

And again you miss the difference between a restaurant that serves alcohol and a bar but at this point I have to assume you're doing that on purpose in an attempt to make an incorrect point. And while the SL make serve more than peanuts and pretzels, it does not "sale" those items so in Florida, it would be illegal for children to belly up to the bar.