No More Kids in the Suite Lounge During the Evening Hours

Once again someone walks in and screams fire on cruise critic. It's typical on here.

I spoke with a Suite Concierge yesterday and asked her about this. She read it to me straight from the "new" Suite Lounge Concierge SOP that they are allowed and must be with their parents/guardian sailing with them.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

They will still allow children in DL and suite lounges and suggestion otherwise is complete nonsense. The question of should parents bring their children to the lounges is another topic. 

The laws in the United States about being illegal to bring children into a bar is not blanket, i.e. federal. Each state and locality has their own “laws”. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

Well, the kids aren't the ones paying, are they?

I see no problem with having some adult only locations.

When children 12 and up are charged as adults, they should get every privilege that adults get.  They aren't paying child fare to be in a suite, access for them (12+) shouldn't be denied.  So, theoretically, on an Oasis class ship, they could just step over the imaginary line into Coastal Kitchen?

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

It's not a taboo in the States, it's a law. A bar can lose it's liquor licenses if a minor is caught in there during operating hours. Not right, not wrong, it just is what it is.

It isn’t federal law.  It is state and local.  And the definition of a bar varies.  Most places aren’t purely bars.  For example, a local sports bar is probably a restaurant by definition.  Kids are not prohibited in such a case and there is surely plenty of

drinking going on.   The SLs all serve food too.  If they were on land they might easily be considered restaurants by law.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tin can said:

I do take our son to bars and have taken our son to the old DL happy hour many a time if the letter in the cabin say it is ok when he is accompanied. He is happy to chat with us for an hour before dinner.

There isn't really the big taboo with this in the UK that there appears to be in the States, our drinking age is 18 and I'm pretty sure its lower in Europe. Some bars are welcoming and encourage families with children by providing play areas and the like.

I can't actually see anything on the link though that states the change but if that's the rule then fair enough.

I recall eating lunch in Amsterdam sitting at a table next to a family of four.  The older kid (probably 14ish) was having a beer with his lunch.  No binge drinking problems in Europe like we have in the states.  

I’m looking forward to my next visit to London and this time I’ll be bringing my young daughter.  I quite look forward to taking her to a nice Fullers pub for Fish and Chips and a couple Pints for me of course.  

And the German beer gardens are completely family friendly as you suggest.  Kids playing all over.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 5

8 hours ago, cruisegus said:

take your kids to a bar often?

its a couple of hours, only place it really has any effect is on Oasis class ship when the CK and suite lounge are combined.

There they allow kids.

Really did you take your kids to the Diamond lounge during the old HH

No, of course I don't take  my kids to a bar.  

BUT -  I took my kids to Coco Cay and a bar server came by all day.   I took my kids to the pool on Coco Cay, and there was a big bar there.  I took my kids to  the dining  room for dinner and a bar server brought drinks for all the tables around us.    I took my kids to Jamies to dinner and many at the tables around us were drinking.    I took my kids to the ice show and the  person next to us  was dinking alcohol.  I took my kids to the pool on the ship and many of the adults were drinking.   I took my kids to trivia on the ship, held in a bar.    I've even had a glass of wine while my children were at the same dinner table. 

I've seen many children in the suite lounge waiting for their  dinner table assignment.   Will the families need to wait outside, or just the Kids?  

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 7

My child is 11 and has been going into the DL with us always...She looks forward to the choc covered strawberries and a shirley temple...We are in a Suite in June and I have every intention of bringing her with us to the Suite Lounge...if I am told no...I will have a "issue"..If she is travelling in a suite...why should she be denied entance??

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

It's not a taboo in the States, it's a law. A bar can lose it's liquor licenses if a minor is caught in there during operating hours. Not right, not wrong, it just is what it is.

So a restaurant that serves alcohol can't allow children?   Good to know.  What state(s)? 

Thanks M

42 minutes ago, outtoseacruise said:

Once again someone walks in and screams fire on cruise critic. It's typical on here.

I spoke with a Suite Concierge yesterday and asked her about this. She read it to me straight from the "new" Suite Lounge Concierge SOP that they are allowed and must be with their parents/guardian sailing with them.

Thank you.  

• Like 1

Agree totally.  My granddaughter has been going to the SL since she was 9, now 14 and will be in the SL the end of this month on Symphony.  This was probably started by an adult who thinks kids should not sail in the first place.  Maybe they should get rid of the adults who get drunk because drinks are free.  And how many adults are louder than any child in the lounge.  Lets get real here.  If Royal wants to be a family cruise line they will have a hard time limiting where suites guests are allowed.  And they do serve non-alcholic drinks.  And there are tables and seating areas not next to the bar so there is no issue.  If you as an adult want an adult place to go then try the solarium.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, cruisegus said:

take your kids to a bar often?

its a couple of hours, only place it really has any effect is on Oasis class ship when the CK and suite lounge are combined.

There they allow kids.

Really did you take your kids to the Diamond lounge during the old HH

Yes, actually, as we live in a ski town. Bars here serve food, often have live entertainment. It's a great atmosphere. After 9, all 21 and under must leave when they change over to what you might would think are bar scenes. 

Oh, please - a supervised child should be allowed in any public area on a cruise ship that isn't labeled adult only.

My daughter loved formal night (and they were formal nights at the time), being dressed in her prettiest party dress and going to a lounge for a predinner "mocktail."

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, icemanoneaatl said:

A welcomed change by the majority of cruise guests - I applaud loudly.

There is a fantastic family friendly bar in the windjammer with sweet treats for the little ones and room to run, scream and throw tantrums. 

There is no change.  So you better hold

your loud applause.  

I guess you will just have to observe the adult meltdowns in the windjammer as the kids take over the SL.  

• Haha 5

3 hours ago, Computer Nerd said:

The point is that a taboo isn't legally enforceable. A law is.

No, the point is that the taboo is the only thing which carries over onto the cruise ship and causes some people to clutch their pearls and gasp when childern are seen in the suite lounge (which isn't even really a bar IMO).  Nothing at all illegal about taking kids into a lounge or bar on a cruise ship.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

No, the point is that the taboo is the only thing which carries over onto the cruise ship and causes some people to clutch their pearls and gasp when childern are seen in the suite lounge (which isn't even really a bar IMO).  Nothing at all illegal about taking kids into a lounge or bar on a cruise ship.

Yep.  Basically an entire cruise ship is one big bar/lounge.  Many times the pool area is worse for so called “adult” behavior than any lounge.  I guess kids should be banned from the pool deck too.  😂😂😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, topnole said:

Yep.  Basically an entire cruise ship is one big bar/lounge.  Many times the pool area is worse for so called “adult” behavior than any lounge.  I guess kids should be banned from the pool deck too.  😂😂😂

I know,  right?  🤣

15 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I've seen more adults misbehave in the suite lounge than kids.

And let’s face it.  When kids misbehave habitually, who’s fault is it?  Obviously the parent.  I watched a kid by the pool on LOS a few year back sneak up behind people and shove them in the pool.  Did it to several kids and adults.   So I started paying attention in case an emergency situation happened and i discretely alerted staff.  Soon I spotted who the parents were.  They were drunk and watching him do it.  The kid was annoying as heck, but who is really to blame here?  It all comes back to the parents.  Staff put a stop to it all, but the parents never would’ve done a thing.  Sad.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, xxHadleyxx said:

I think OP is referring to this section, near the bottom:

"PRO TIP

Kids are welcome at the Suite Lounge during breakfast hours. In the evenings, the space is open to guests of legal drinking age.".

Thanks. That PRO TIP doesn't show up when I open it.

2 hours ago, robyn206 said:

When children 12 and up are charged as adults, they should get every privilege that adults get.  They aren't paying child fare to be in a suite, access for them (12+) shouldn't be denied.  So, theoretically, on an Oasis class ship, they could just step over the imaginary line into Coastal Kitchen?

Paid Full price for my Daughter every time. Single Parent of 3 Kids, my one Kid we paid reg 1/2 passenger Rate, my other 2 over half the time paid higher then we did. One I remember was $799ea for 1/2, $999 for passengers 3/4. This in an OV. My Kids made Diamond/Diamond Plus on their own threw me paying for Cruises not because my status. And this doesn't count the Cruises we were in Suites. Yes I always paid Full Price for my 8-14yr old Daughter, Passenger #2 in a Suite

Edited by ONECRUISER