MSC Accepted Tests? (NAAT)

The Admiral

I've read that NAAT test are more sensitive and produce less false negatives than rapid antigen which would seem to mean they are more reliable. So here is the question the Pharmacies around my area only offer rapid NAAT test or the longer 2-3 day PCR test.

Carnival and RCL websites list PCR, Rapid Antigen and NAAT as acceptable and the CDC webpage says NAAT tests are accepted as tests for returning to the US from international travel but the MSC website only lists RT-PCR and negative Antigen. In another part of their website they are inconsistent and for US residents in mediterranean cruises it does not mention Rapid Antigen only RT-PCR.

Does anyone know, maybe if you've traveled recently out of Miami of MSC will also accept a NAAT test from a Walgreens or CVS?

12 hours ago, The Admiral said:

I've read that NAAT test are more sensitive and produce less false negatives than rapid antigen which would seem to mean they are more reliable. So here is the question the Pharmacies around my area only offer rapid NAAT test or the longer 2-3 day PCR test.

Carnival and RCL websites list PCR, Rapid Antigen and NAAT as acceptable and the CDC webpage says NAAT tests are accepted as tests for returning to the US from international travel but the MSC website only lists RT-PCR and negative Antigen. In another part of their website they are inconsistent and for US residents in mediterranean cruises it does not mention Rapid Antigen only RT-PCR.

Does anyone know, maybe if you've traveled recently out of Miami of MSC will also accept a NAAT test from a Walgreens or CVS?

I sailed out of Miami last December and we used NAAT from a state test site. Took 10 minutes tops.

Same in January for Port Canaveral on Meraviglia.

20 hours ago, The Admiral said:

From MSC's FAQ page ("Prepare for my Upcoming Cruise" section), the paragraph below indicates that a NAAT test is acceptable (such as Walgreen's rapid IDNow test) for US residents cruising out of a US port:

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain, diagnostic lab, or accredited at-home telehealth provider. Guests will be required to show their negative test results upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the type of test (Antigen, RT-PCR, or NAAT), testing location/provider’s name, a negative result, the guest’s name, and the date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2022 at 3:05 PM, Robkat said:

From MSC's FAQ page ("Prepare for my Upcoming Cruise" section), the paragraph below indicates that a NAAT test is acceptable (such as Walgreen's rapid IDNow test) for US residents cruising out of a US port:

Tests must be taken with an accredited test provider, such as a drugstore chain, diagnostic lab, or accredited at-home telehealth provider. Guests will be required to show their negative test results upon arriving at the pier. The results can be printed out or can be presented on your phone, such as the email result from your test provider. Test results will need to clearly show the type of test (Antigen, RT-PCR, or NAAT), testing location/provider’s name, a negative result, the guest’s name, and the date and time the test was taken. Costs associated with this test are the guests' responsibility.

Thanks for posting this. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out where I'd read this recently. 

Before it was in the main info before they switched to 4/23/22 requirements. I had spokent to an agent and they said they were, but I wasn't 100% trusting as if wouldn't be the first time one of them was wrong! LOL

2 minutes ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

Can someone please tell us if the 48 hours required for testing- is that 48 hours prior to embarkation or 48 hours prior to  sail away??

Two days prior to sailing, be it even beyond 48 hours. If you take a test @1100am and you sail two days later @ 400PM, you'll be fine. 

2 hours ago, Cruisesfun65 said:

No. From Barcelona. 

Make sure you check the Msc website and don't rely on this board.

I am currently on Seaview and we did have 72 hour PCR but we also needed a 24 hour rapid. We boarded in st. Martin.

Read the website very very carefully!!!