Has anyone used the NAVICA app to test for Covid?

11 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

Has anyone used the NAVICA app to test for Covid?  Do you need set up an appointment or just sign in with the link and someone just comes on the iPad screen?  Is there a wait time after signing in for the proctor to join?

I'm also using this for next Friday, and have watched several YouTube videos of the actual process, it helps a lot.  My daughter and son-in-law just used it also before leaving the Maldives after their honeymoon, and she said it only took 20 minutes total time (15 minutes is waiting for the actual test results).  I figured if they could do it correctly half way around the world, my husband and I should be able to manage, 🤣.  Good Luck!

21 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

Has anyone used the NAVICA app to test for Covid?  Do you need set up an appointment or just sign in with the link and someone just comes on the iPad screen?  Is there a wait time after signing in for the proctor to join?

We used it for our Jan23rd cruise and it worked out very well.  NAVICA technicians are there 24/7 and the wait time was less than a minute.

The process overall takes less than 30 minutes, mostly because the sample takes 15 minutes before they can judge it.

Also as stated above , we also watched the YouTube videos in advance and that was very helpful

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

We used Navica to set up credentials that then were used to log into emed.com for the actual test.  But we also bypassed Navica altogether for our daughter and set up her creds on emed.  The testing process was very efficient and we'll be using it again in the wee hours tomorrow.

We will be using iPads.  How do you set the iPad so it stays focused on the test card for the 15 minutes?  Videos I watched all had phones hooked up to some kind of flexible holder.  It’s too late to try to get one.  Even if one of us holds the iPad for the other, I think it will be wobbly to hold for that long.

19 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

We will be using iPads.  How do you set the iPad so it stays focused on the test card for the 15 minutes?  Videos I watched all had phones hooked up to some kind of flexible holder.  It’s too late to try to get one.  Even if one of us holds the iPad for the other, I think it will be wobbly to hold for that long.

We used my laptop.  I simply turned it so the proctor could see the card and that was enough.  The proctors disconnected for the 15 minute period and having the card in view all that time wasn't needed.  At the end of that time another proctor came on to verify results.  I recall the first proctor saying we didn't have to sit there during the 15 minutes - just make sure we were back when the clock hit zero.

BTW, make sure you have your drivers license or some other form of picture ID so they can confirm that you are you.

Edited by cltnccruisers

20 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

We used my laptop.  I simply turned it so the proctor could see the card and that was enough.  The proctors disconnected for the 15 minute period and having the card in view all that time wasn't needed.  At the end of that time another proctor came on to verify results.  I recall the first proctor saying we didn't have to sit there during the 15 minutes - just make sure we were back when the clock hit zero.

BTW, make sure you have your drivers license or some other form of picture ID so they can confirm that you are you.

From the videos I watched they said the camera has to stay focused on the card during the 15 minutes.  Even though no one is there, the camera is recording the card the whole time.  We can’t test until we get to ft Lauderdale tomorrow and I really didn’t want to carry my laptop. 

How did you angle the laptop screen to stay on the card?  I apologize for all the questions but I’ve been messing with this for a couple hours and just have a mental block at this point stressing!

12 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

From the videos I watched they said the camera has to stay focused on the card during the 15 minutes.  Even though no one is there, the camera is recording the card the whole time.  We can’t test until we get to ft Lauderdale tomorrow and I really didn’t want to carry my laptop. 

How did you angle the laptop screen to stay on the card?  I apologize for all the questions but I’ve been messing with this for a couple hours and just have a mental block at this point stressing!

We didn't have the card in camera for the 15 minute period.  I just rotated it until the proctor said we were good and she left.  That was Thanksgiving Day.  If they say differently this time I'll just sit and hold it.

We'll be testing a little past midnight tonight.  I'll let you know if the process has changed.

Edited by cltnccruisers

1 hour ago, cltnccruisers said:

We didn't have the card in camera for the 15 minute period.  I just rotated it until the proctor said we were good and she left.  That was Thanksgiving Day.  If they say differently this time I'll just sit and hold it.

We'll be testing a little past midnight tonight.  I'll let you know if the process has changed.

Thank you.  We were planning to test tomorrow late afternoon or evening once we got to Florida.  Hadn’t thought about doing it after midnight tonight.  That may be the way to go and use my laptop.  So, is any time after midnight good?  It doesn’t have to be within 48 hours?

6 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

Thank you.  We were planning to test tomorrow late afternoon or evening once we got to Florida.  Hadn’t thought about doing it after midnight tonight.  That may be the way to go and use my laptop.  So, is any time after midnight good?  It doesn’t have to be within 48 hours?

While the test is approved in the US, they may be outsourcing the proctoring duties to non-US locations.  So the time at which you take it is irrelevant.

1 minute ago, cruisingrob21 said:

While the test is approved in the US, they may be outsourcing the proctoring duties to non-US locations.  So the time at which you take it is irrelevant.

Correct on the outsourcing.  When we did in Thanksgiving Day we got someone from Malaysia.

34 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

You can take the test anytime after midnight. I took my last one at 12:05 am on a Thursday for a cruise that was leaving on Saturday. 

• Like 1

I just got off the phone with my Princess Cruise agent.  He said that starting Mar 1 you can test 3 days before getting on the ship.  But the Princess website still has 2 days.  He said they have told everyone who calls about the days change.  He looking for something to send me in writing because I am afraid that although everyone in the office knows this, the agents at the port may not.  So, the plan is to test just after midnight tonight unless I hear back and actually have something in writing to show 3 days is official that I can print.  

5 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

I just got off the phone with my Princess Cruise agent.  He said that starting Mar 1 you can test 3 days before getting on the ship.  But the Princess website still has 2 days.  He said they have told everyone who calls about the days change.  He looking for something to send me in writing because I am afraid that although everyone in the office knows this, the agents at the port may not.  So, the plan is to test just after midnight tonight unless I hear back and actually have something in writing to show 3 days is official that I can print.  

I can't see risking it if the site still says 2 days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

You've got that right !

Why take any chances for 1 day difference?

Good thing I asked for something in writing!  Just got a call back from the Princess Agent saying they just got out of a meeting and they reminded the 3 day policy.  Back to 2 days.  Now they have to figure out what to do with all the people they told 3 days was okay.  What a mess!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CruisingAwayTheBucketList said:

Good thing I asked for something in writing!  Just got a call back from the Princess Agent saying they just got out of a meeting and they reminded the 3 day policy.  Back to 2 days.  Now they have to figure out what to do with all the people they told 3 days was okay.  What a mess!

Midnight plus 1 for us then.  Have a safe trip to Fla.

5 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

So I agree I would just use a laptop, can easily adjust it up or down to get the entire view of test card while waiting the 15 minutes.  Someone did mention in a video that while you physically don't have to sit there the entire 15 minutes yourself, that to leave the test card in viewing for the entire time.  I assumed they were recording it, maybe?  

8 minutes ago, 13cheermom said:

So I agree I would just use a laptop, can easily adjust it up or down to get the entire view of test card while waiting the 15 minutes.  Someone did mention in a video that while you physically don't have to sit there the entire 15 minutes yourself, that to leave the test card in viewing for the entire time.  I assumed they were recording it, maybe?  

There was no mention of a recording when we did the test in November.  But the process could have evolved, of course.  I'll find out tonight.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, cltnccruisers said:

There was no mention of a recording when we did the test in November.  But the process could have evolved, of course.  I'll find out tonight.

If you don't mind and you have time can you come back and post your experience?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, 13cheermom said:

In January, we used a laptop for exactly the reason that the camera position and the test sample cannot move within the 15 minutes.  The logic is that they are trying to prevent fraud by someone switching the sample to a known negative result.

Basically after some point during the test, the technician asks you to lower your laptop screen so the camera is pointing to the sample in front of you.

Then when the timer starts, you can walk away until the 15 minutes are up but the laptop and sample cannot move

I have no idea how you would do that with an iPad unless you had a fancy fixture to hold it in place

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Thanks 1

So I just completed my home test.  

1.  Connect to emed.com

2.   Select Start Testing

3.   Log in using creds created in Navica

4.  Answer a few questions and the disclaimer - normal stuff.

5.  The tool will confirm audio, video and network operability.  When it checks for audio input say something so it can hear you.

6.  A proctor will come on to walk you through the test.  He'll identify you and scan your photo ID.  Then he'll scan the QR code on the box and check the dates.

7.  Next he'll have you angle the camera.  On my laptop that was a tilt of about 45 degrees.  He'll then confirm he can see the box on a flat surface and tell you to open it and place the contents where he can see them.

8.  Now comes the hard part as he tries to scan the QR on the test card.  Took about 5 minutes.

9.  Now he watches you put the drops in the card then swab your nostrils and stuff the swab in the card.  Then he makes sure he can still see the card and gives a short lecture about the importance of not moving the card during the 15 minute period.  Then he starts the timer and leaves.

10.  When the timer ends there will be an annoying alarm.  You'll have to click on the box that says "I'm Ready" so the verification proctor will show up. You show him the card and when he sees the results sends them to Navica.  I got my confirmation email in about 5 minutes.

When you open the confirmation pdf it will be password protected.  It's your birthdate.

So it did change a little since our November testing but it's no big deal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cltnccruisers said:

So I just completed my home test.  

1.  Connect to emed.com

2.   Select Start Testing

3.   Log in using creds created in Navica

4.  Answer a few questions and the disclaimer - normal stuff.

5.  The tool will confirm audio, video and network operability.  When it checks for audio input say something so it can hear you.

6.  A proctor will come on to walk you through the test.  He'll identify you and scan your photo ID.  Then he'll scan the QR code on the box and check the dates.

7.  Next he'll have you angle the camera.  On my laptop that was a tilt of about 45 degrees.  He'll then confirm he can see the box on a flat surface and tell you to open it and place the contents where he can see them.

8.  Now comes the hard part as he tries to scan the QR on the test card.  Took about 5 minutes.

9.  Now he watches you put the drops in the card then swab your nostrils and stuff the swab in the card.  Then he makes sure he can still see the card and gives a short lecture about the importance of not moving the card during the 15 minute period.  Then he starts the timer and leaves.

10.  When the timer ends there will be an annoying alarm.  You'll have to click on the box that says "I'm Ready" so the verification proctor will show up. You show him the card and when he sees the results sends them to Navica.  I got my confirmation email in about 5 minutes.

When you open the confirmation pdf it will be password protected.  It's your birthdate.

So it did change a little since our November testing but it's no big deal.

This is the same process as we had in January except for #8, we didn’t have any trouble scanning the code

• Like 1