Eureka - recommendations

Our cruise in September stops in Eureka (8am - 5pm) and understand there is a nice Old Town along the waterfront with Victorian buildings and Clarke Historical Museum. As well, there is a Wildlife Refuge.  We have never been and would appreciate recommendations on top sights. 

It depends on what you enjoy. I assume the cruise line will have an excursion to see giant coastal redwoods, so that would be an option, if you have need seen giant trees before.

I'd be content to go to Old Town, have lunch, stroll the area and maybe go to the zoo; maybe tour the old logging mill.

On 3/14/2022 at 3:13 PM, scottca075 said:

It depends on what you enjoy. I assume the cruise line will have an excursion to see giant coastal redwoods, so that would be an option, if you have need seen giant trees before.

I'd be content to go to Old Town, have lunch, stroll the area and maybe go to the zoo; maybe tour the old logging mill.

Thank you for your recommendations and will look into the Zoo and will ensure there is time to stroll in Old Town area. We have been to Muir Woods and live in BC where there are lots of forests! 

• 7 months later...

Thought to add our feedback after visiting Eureka last month.  Would definitely not recommend cruise lines stopping here as it was very disappointing.  We had planned to see the Zoo and did email them but they never replied - then thought we could catch a taxi at the port to zoo or woods but no luck.  No taxis available and the advertised shuttle offered by a bus had to be replaced by locals driving us in their personal cars or trucks as the bus driver wasn't available (?). We gave the local community credit that they managed to gather enough locals to drive cruise passengers to the town and back to the ship.  That said, the town is small with a few streets to browse and the recommended Carson Victorian Mansion was just outside of the town -- what appeared as a pleasant walk initially ended up in us turning back due to the abundance of homeless camps and locals who have a drug problem.  After waiting for a local driver in town, we were pleased to be back on the ship and would definitely not recommend this for future cruise lines.  Perhaps the Zoo or Woods would be nice but unfortunately we could not find local drivers to travel a very short distance.

Unless you are a marijuana farmer or going to college there there's not much reason to stop.  The northern CA coast is doted with several unique places (Ferndale and Fort Bragg) that we have visited via Harley rides.  But as for supporting a cruise stop, not so much.  

6 hours ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Unless you are a marijuana farmer or going to college there there's not much reason to stop.  The northern CA coast is doted with several unique places (Ferndale and Fort Bragg) that we have visited via Harley rides.  But as for supporting a cruise stop, not so much.  

Had to chuckle reading your comments as when we arrived back onboard, we shared our feedback on this port with the Cruise Director. We mentioned that the town folks were all very friendly to which he replied, "that because they are all high". 

Edited by WESTEAST
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've visited Eureka a couple of times in the past 4 years, and I'm surprised this was a cruise stop as there's not that much to do.  I would suggest walking around Old Town and/or renting a car so that you can drive through the Avenue of the Giants.  There is a visitor center somewhere in there, and I think this is the coolest thing to do.  We also drove to Arcata to their Plaza as there are some restaurants and shops to walk through.

Just thought I'd share in case this comes up again.

On 11/6/2022 at 1:34 AM, boltnut55 said:

I've visited Eureka a couple of times in the past 4 years, and I'm surprised this was a cruise stop as there's not that much to do.  I would suggest walking around Old Town and/or renting a car so that you can drive through the Avenue of the Giants.  There is a visitor center somewhere in there, and I think this is the coolest thing to do.  We also drove to Arcata to their Plaza as there are some restaurants and shops to walk through.

Just thought I'd share in case this comes up again.

Good points and there were a few restaurants in the Old Town and a few ok shops.  Small make shift tourist info with tables/chairs when we disembarked and at a corner where our return drive to ship was located. When we were being driven back to the ship by a local, she indicated that the town is in the process of building up their tourist infrastructure - not sure what this will mean for future visitors as they have a way to go to make it a worthwhile port stop in our opinion.