Free for Sea

blueknight222

13 minutes ago, blueknight222 said:

Hi, first time NCL cruiser. Is the free for sea package worth it? I started reading the terms and it looks like a corporation merger contract!!! 🙃

You're asking a question of that's been asked and answered a hundred times. Worth is subjective and a matter of opinion like asking if the food is good on NCL. Worth is a term that is up to you to decide based on you personal experience and preferences and what you might get out of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, blueknight222 said:

Hi, first time NCL cruiser. Is the free for sea package worth it? I started reading the terms and it looks like a corporation merger contract!!! 🙃

@blueknight222If you drink at all, it is worth it. Simple as that. My sister is joining my wife and I in December 2022.  I insisted she did the "Free At Sea" package.  In most cases, it costs a hundred or two more.  Now, like an early poster has stated, it is a matter of personal preferences.  If we did not drink adult beverages, just wanted to eat at the Main Dining Rooms with no specialty meals and did not use the internet, we would not get it. We do all those things.  

I hope that helps you.

Cruise well. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, blueknight222 said:

Its Free AT Sea.  If you actually use any of the items available its a good deal.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/12/2022 at 4:55 PM, blueknight222 said:

To help with this question that seems to come up once every week on this forum, I made a new video going over the specifics of the Free at Sea promo for NCL.

The grand ole, "Is it worth it" question can only be answered by you based on how you cruise and what the promo give you for the money you invest, once you understand what you get.

Hopefully this video will allow you to digest the information a bit easier than the Terms and Conditions posted on NCLs website.

• Thanks 1

It looks like this one pretty much died on the vine.  The answer is "YES!"  Eat, drink and be merry!  Isn't that what cruising is all about?  If you want to save a few pennies, take the package and book an inside (i.e. steerage).  You'll still have a ton of fun.  I guarantee it!

• Like 1

i think you may have explained one thing wrong in your video with regard to "free excursions." you're correct that it's $50, but it's not really "per cabin." it's for the first person in your cabin. so in your hypothetical example, if someone were to find a $25 excursion (and there are a few... st. thomas has a $19 excursion, which is a tram ride), you say that two people could get a free excursion, assuming that $25 X 2 = $50, so it's free... for the two people in the "cabin."

but it doesn't work that way. it's $50 off for the first person... so the first person booking a $25 excursion would be "free" and the second person would pay $25. seems unfair, but that is the way the promo works. the $50 credit applies to one person only.  

good luck with your channel. ad revenue won't kick in till you have a large number of subscribers.

• Like 2

Also depends if you want to choose your cabin or are fine with a guaranteed cabin. The price difference for 7 days cruise between GTY and regular cabin is $100 pp. If you add $20 pp / day drink package gratuities and $20 pp restaurant gratuities, you’ll end up paying $100x2 + $20x7x2 + $20x2= $520 per couple for 7 days cruise.

For that money you get:

- Drink package 

- 2 speciality restaurants ( Interior and Oceanview get just 1 saving $10 pp)

- 150 min of Internet pp

- You can choose your cabin

Does it worth for you $500 or so? Up to you.

Edited by lixogab

On 3/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, blueknight222 said:

To be honest, I didn't really read the terms, I just did it. It's actually pretty straight forward when you actually use it. You just have to know if these are things you would like/use or not. They have a lot of value if you do. Keep in mind, you can choose NOT to have the drink or dining package and save those gratuity charges, but, both of them are very much worth it if you'd enjoy them. 

For our UK readers

UK they charge for the free at sea with the grats for  the beverage & dining included and can be used on GTY options.

GTY to lowest pick is often very low <£20/$25

BUT  there have been 2 major changes this year.

the dining package got diluted A LOT not worth as much now

They raised all the prices A LOT  on the 30 April 2022.

(added £100pp to the cost of a cruise we have booked)

depending on duration(7n-18n)

£12-£15pppd on the old rates

£18-£22pppd on the new rates

if you count 1 dinner at £30  it maxes out at £19~=$24pppd

In many cases if you like a drink(3-4+) its still worth it, the extra dining and internet are the bonus

on the old pricing/dining the dinners covered a lot of the package cost and in effect the beverage was the bonus

End of the day its the total for what you want that matters when comparing options and lines.

How the lines structures that total is just there to confuse(or give choice).

If I look at the same trip(9n getaway)  UK/US (GTY no free at sea) V (lowest inside pick with free at sea), total 2pax they come out not for off the same up cost but UK can add to the GTY and save £13pp).

£1,160($1,450) V $1,580

£1,585($1,980) V $2,150

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UKstages said:

i think you may have explained one thing wrong in your video with regard to "free excursions." you're correct that it's $50, but it's not really "per cabin." it's for the first person in your cabin. so in your hypothetical example, if someone were to find a $25 excursion (and there are a few... st. thomas has a $19 excursion, which is a tram ride), you say that two people could get a free excursion, assuming that $25 X 2 = $50, so it's free... for the two people in the "cabin."

but it doesn't work that way. it's $50 off for the first person... so the first person booking a $25 excursion would be "free" and the second person would pay $25. seems unfair, but that is the way the promo works. the $50 credit applies to one person only.  

good luck with your channel. ad revenue won't kick in till you have a large number of subscribers.

Thank you for this! I have reread the Ts and Cs for the Free Excursion Credit and you are 100% correct. I will post a follow up, Oops I goofed video and add a card to the current video linking the proper information.

Thank you for the well wishes on the channel. I'm hoping to get the channel monetized by Youtube by end of summer with the goal of hitting 1000 subscribers by then. Based on my current daily subscriber increase, and my current views per day this seems to be very achievable. I have been posting content for a little over 2 months now, and as of today I'm 1/3 of the way to my goal.

On average, it takes a channel to get to 1000 subscribers around 15.5 months. I'm currently on a pace to do it within 6. So it looks promising as long as I continue to work hard and produce content people want to see and enjoy.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. I just booked an NCL cruise for January 2023 so I can't wait to hop on another NCL ship. This will be my 4th cruise with them over the last 7 years.