Southwest out of Baltimore was cancelled! Cannot get another flight for today

Valentina84

I don’t know what to say. My parents first cruise and ours as well and our children. Flying from  bwi to Miami. MSC 12 night cruise to the Caribbean. We are just devastated. Sitting at the airport right now because we decided to show up anyway for a miracle. A lot of north east flights were cancelled to Miami. Will the cruise wait a few hours or delay to another day if so many miss it? Do we get our money back for the cruise? We got insurance but not my parents. 

So sorry for you. The cruise won’t wait. Why would it? Many passengers don’t leave from the northeast. It is always advised to leave a day early. I always leave at least one day early. You won’t get your money back but your insurance should cover you. Your parents will be out of luck. Some credit cards come with insurance. Look into that. 

Edited by Charles4515

Very sorry about your situation but one of the first rules about cruising, especially in the winter months is to arrive at your departure port at least a day in advance. When I first got addicted to cruising in 1983 I too would fly down to Florida from New Jersey on the day of sailing but as I got older I left a day or two early to not get involved in a situation like yours. For some unknown reason I have had a few cancellations on return flights heading back to New Jersey which caused me to stay a day or two extra. It’s too late now but depending on what time you arrived at BWI this morning you might have had the option to fly into either Fort Lauderdale or Palm Beach. Fort Lauderdale is a forty five minute ride to the Port Of Miami and Palm Beach is around two hours depending on traffic on Interstate 95.

• Like 1

The only time that a ship would delay sailing would be a situation where the cruise line had a large group of passengers on a specific flight that is running late. The captain has the authority to make a decision regarding an incident like this.

Did you purchase your flight independently or did you purchase the flight though MSC? If you purchased the flight on your own there’s really nothing you can do. Years ago way before the pandemic if you missed your departure in some instances you could fly to the first or second port at your expense and join the cruise. Since the pandemic that option was terminated by most major cruise lines due to more stringent rules and regulations.