Norway Fjord cruising with multigenerational group

Moparop

We are cruising Norway (stops in Bergen, Alesund, Stavanger, and Geiranger) with a group of 16 ranging in ages from 1-77, including a 3 year old and 4 teenagers. Any suggestions of things that the whole crew would enjoy? We are cruising on Celebrity and it looks like the excursions on the ship will not accommodate the baby. It also looks like just grabbing a bunch of cabs to get somewhere will be hard as the little ones need to be in car seats. 

thanks for any ideas! My kids are in the teen group but I don’t want to ditch the family of little ones every day. 

• Like 1

Geiranger is a really good day for everyone to stay together, since the amazing views can be easily accessed by car or bus.  With 16 people, you might want to contact this company https://www.geirangerfjord.no/panoramic-bus-geiranger-2 to see if they have a smaller bus you can rent for a private tour for just your group.  We took their limo tour, and the driver wasn't great, but overall they have very strong reviews so you'll probably be fine.   You'd want to make sure you visit Dalsnibba if possible (the road is seasonal and closed right now, which is why I think its not mentioned currently on that bus description).  We got there 3 days before Dalsnibba opened, so we visited Eagles Bend, which is quite a lovely lake and also a nice place for a stop with an intergenerational trip.  

The highlight of Stavanger is Pulpit Rock, so that might be a better place to consider splitting up.  My husband and I were in no condition to carry our 2 or 6 year old so we couldn't go.  It's a moderate hike and I know people have carried children there (I'm sure you aren't this stupid, but someone had to carry this baby up since they made it to the top https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2757928/Photo-shows-moment-family-allows-baby-crawl-edge-Pulpit-Rock-mountain-ledge-Forsand-Norway.html ).  

In Bergen, everyone can stay together for the Fløibanen funicular (scheduled to reopen in April) and then stop off at the Bergen Fish market.  There's a lovely playground at the top of the funicular, so the kids can play while most of the adults can walk around the top to enjoy the lovely views.    You might want to spend the morning together doing that (depending on the weather because the funicular is much better in clear weather) and then split for the afternoon since everyone might have different priorities in Bergen.  We took a museum shuttle bus to the Fløibanen funicular (https://fiskerimuseum.museumvest.no/english/whats-up/2016/05/museum-shuttlebus/ ) and you'd need to contact them to see if they are still running because I have no idea with covid if this is still an option.  If your ship docks close to town, this is only a ten minute walk, half of which is industrial and the other half is quite lovely and scenic.  

It is quite a bit less convenient, but I was told Norwegian cab companies are required to provide car seats for you if you arrange for transportation ahead of time.  So that's something to consider if you can find excursions everyone wants to participate in.

I know this doesn't help you, but for others searching for this topic, please note that Flam with the railroad and excursion to local goat farms and Olden with the Skylift and nearby Briksdal glacier with troll cars that take you most of the way to the glacier  are really wonderful destinations for intergenerational travel because everything is very easy to reach.  

I didn't visit Alesund, so I can't help you there, although that does seem to be a very loved port on these boards!  If you can figure out what everyone wants to do there (even if its a cruise tour the baby can't take) post it and someone on this board may be able to help you figure out transportation/recommend tour guides for a duplicate excursion.   I hope you have a wonderful vacation.  Norway is very special for kids.  

Edited by kitkat343
  • Thanks 1