Bit of fun - No room higher than a guaranteed interior is worth it. Change my mind.

I’ll get back to you—I have my first balcony coming up this summer. I feel like most people would be thrilled with whatever class they start with, and once you go up, it’s hard to come back down. I was content with my inside room for my first two cruises. Then I upgraded to an ocean view for my third cruise, and—wow—having daylight and a view makes you realize how much an interior feels like a solitary confinement cell. For my upcoming cruise, a balcony was only $400 more total (not pp) than interior (ocean view is sold out now, but I feel like it was only ~$200 difference total between OV and Bal) for cramming my family of 3 into a room. That extra space and fresh air just seems totally worth it. I can’t imagine being in an inside room with my husband and 14-year-old daughter for a week. I mean, my first two cruises in the interior we had the philosophy that you’re only in your room to sleep, so what’s the difference? My last cruise w/ OV was a 2-week Mediterranean cruise, so we definitely spent a lot more downtime not on tours in our room. This upcoming cruise with a balcony, I like the idea that we can hang out in our room and still enjoy the fresh air and scenery without feeling like we have to fight for a deck chair.

Did an interior once. As someone upthread said of their friend's comments, it was like a sensory deprivation tank for me as well. 😂 I'll admit that I'm curious if the interior view rooms would have that same effect, so I may consider it for a port heavy trip sometime.

I think it really does depend on how you travel - so many of you apparently love being out there! I'm a hermit though, so you're going to find me on my balcony most of the time. Our next trip is a TA so we really are just planning on treating it as a floating hotel more than anything else, which is heaven to me, but may drive someone else crazy. 🤪

But going back to the original question - if I get to control your money, I'd put you in the Royal just because. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1

Well... Royalup bids start at £110pp for me to upgrade to Ocean View Balcony (as opposed to neighborhood) however, I presume they could stick me right behind a life boat with this?

I am tempted...I really am. But £220 just for a balcony? 🙈😂

On 3/13/2022 at 4:14 PM, Aquahound said:

I'll say it with a picture.  

00-0_Wi3W2U0uKovxFP3LfRUyRTFzTES0RSTkIuxhiUvvaOBSpuOtL7wC7M9ve5oVdJ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1438444974

Nuff said.  

Ok,  Looks like more than the included Continental Breakfast.  So an extra charge.  also the tray is delivered to the room and you have to take it out to the balcony.  You will have to uncover each item, pour your coffee and remembe to put our the napkins/silverware, etc.    also the picture is correct in that you need to face the table to eat, if you want to face the ocean then you need to hold the plates in your lap.  then at the end of the meal, you need to carry dirty plates into the room to later be picked up....

So yes, this happens but it is not without effort....

2 hours ago, happy cruzer said:

Ok,  Looks like more than the included Continental Breakfast.  So an extra charge.  also the tray is delivered to the room and you have to take it out to the balcony.  You will have to uncover each item, pour your coffee and remembe to put our the napkins/silverware, etc.    also the picture is correct in that you need to face the table to eat, if you want to face the ocean then you need to hold the plates in your lap.  then at the end of the meal, you need to carry dirty plates into the room to later be picked up....

So yes, this happens but it is not without effort....

Ah, the horror of 1st world problems.  😉