New to O. Considering Insignia

PaulaJK

On 4/17/2022 at 9:15 AM, LHT28 said:

Not everyone has a problem with the smaller W/C  on the R ships 😉

You would be fine even in the "new" S Cat cabins

I bleieve the food budget PP is the same  for all the ships 

I remember years ago FDR posting what the budget was  compared to the main stream lines  & it was about 25%  higher on O

I agree, although the bathrooms are much smaller on the R ships than the O ships they are very functional, and after the dry dock they are very modern.  We especially like the added soft night light.  

Since the OP mentioned Crystal, this past November we took advantage of the sailing Crystal offered out of NYC to Bermuda on Symphony.  Although the bathroom in our ocean view was larger (including a tub rather than a shower) we both said we‘d rather have the smaller R class bathroom over the what we had on Symphony.  The thing that annoyed us most about Symphony were the stupid dual vessel sinks.  It was nearly impossible to wash your hands in them without rubbing the sink itself, they looked pretty, but not functional at all!  

As someone has already said, food is very subjective, and what is important to one person isn’t to another, but we much preferred the casual options offered on O over Crystal’s.  We felt the offerings in the Terrace Cafe and Waves Grill were of higher quality and variety than what were on offer in Crystal’s Marketplace Buffet and Trident Grill.  Also, afternoon tea on O is wonderful and we rarely miss it.  On Symphony we went the first day and never went back.  

One restaurant I did prefer on Crystal was Prego!  Prego’s version of Italian was more to my liking than Toscana.  I’ve enjoyed all my meals in Toscana but if I had to choose I’d choose Prego.  

We are also considering our first Oceania cruise and would alsol like clarification of a couple of points. I have searched the website but can't find the answers.

The offers shown include free Internet access. Is there a limit to the number of log ons per suite? I have seen some companies restrict usage to one log on at any one time.

Secondly. Airfare is included. What input could I expect to give regarding dates (fly out early) , companies (minimal choice where we live) and business class requests.

Thanks

21 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

We are also considering our first Oceania cruise and would alsol like clarification of a couple of points. I have searched the website but can't find the answers.

The offers shown include free Internet access. Is there a limit to the number of log ons per suite? I have seen some companies restrict usage to one log on at any one time.

Secondly. Airfare is included. What input could I expect to give regarding dates (fly out early) , companies (minimal choice where we live) and business class requests.

Thanks

I free account per cabin 

you can use different devices  but only one log in at a time

You can purchase  a 2nd account

Top suites (OS, VS & OC) get two free accounts

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005405174-Can-I-use-more-than-one-device-for-the-free-internet-

25 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Thanks

Here is the internet info:
https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005488873-What-is-Wavenet-WiFi-

For info about the additional packages go to
https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value
and scroll down to "Onboard Packages" then "Internet".

I'm sure you'll get a lot of comments regarding airfare. Make sure commenters understand where you are flying from/to since I believe you are in the UK and the cruise/airfare/etc. rules are not the same as the US.

29 minutes ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Thanks

If you want BIZ class I suggest booking your own air

To fly in on different dates than the cruise days there is  a deviation fee ($175 USD PP)

Again look at booking your own & compare what it will cost with Oceania  before making a decision

JMO

Re flights.

short haul.

we deviate. This means pay a charge per person to fly in or out in a different date. We are going out 4 days before our cruise. TA then rings Oceania to arrange flights. They must be schedule for Oceania  ( BA, Lufthansa, KLM and Air France are main preferred partners). We set certain parameters ie departure, no flight before 9am, no stop over under an hour. TA then comes back with a couple of flights to choose from. We like KLM and after ticketing occurs pay to choose seats  upgrade flights to Economy comfort etc. The airlines will not usually let you upgrade to premium Economy when travelling to Europe however Oceania will let you buy business class seats.

I do my research. I know the flight costs and which airlines are flying on the days I wish to travel. I have asked for personally chosen flights. These can come with an extra charge or in our case you can get offered the flights you would have chosen. Luck of the draw. 

Oceania flights come with transfers from airport to port, port to airport. We have arranged private transfers for the first due to deviation and taken Oceania for the second as the port is  Civitavecchia which is a good hour away from Rome.

Long Haul.

Only have experience of pre covid. Choose flights personally. TA arranged. Or booked flights and hotels personally. Obviously package is best in these uncertain times.

We also have the best cruise insurance money can buy.

On our last two cruises, both on Riviera, we were allowed as many devices as we wanted on the free internet package so had both of our phones and my IPad often at the same time. But if you get the upgrade, which I did on the second portion of our cruise, then it is only one device at a time. Hope this helps. Julia