Cruising to Hawaii from LA in early February 2023. I know anything can happen weather wise but wondering what others have experienced cruising during that time or have any ideas what we may expect.  Average high in LA is around 69 and low of 51 and wonder how that translates as we sail towards Hawaii.

Thanks

On 3/14/2022 at 2:59 PM, mustang67 said:

Cruising to Hawaii from LA in early February 2023. I know anything can happen weather wise but wondering what others have experienced cruising during that time or have any ideas what we may expect.  Average high in LA is around 69 and low of 51 and wonder how that translates as we sail towards Hawaii.

Thanks

If the prevailing winds are present, you should experience the NE Trades, so winds should be astern most of the way. Should get progressively warmer as you head South.

That's the theory, but having crossed the Pacific way too many times, very few crossings were consistent.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Any thoughts on the weather on THIS weird crossing?  Seward to Tokyo.  In September.

(I guess I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should ship my "Alaska" clothes back home when I board in Seward, or if I'll be missing that cold-weather gear.)

15 hours ago, Adara said:

Any thoughts on the weather on THIS weird crossing?  Seward to Tokyo.  In September.

(I guess I'm asking because I'm wondering if I should ship my "Alaska" clothes back home when I board in Seward, or if I'll be missing that cold-weather gear.)

Not sure what's weird, as this is a traditional trans-Pacific, following a Great Circle routing, which is the shortest distance.

You can expect a higher probability of rough storms and any temp can be experienced, a higher probability of cooler is likely over hotter.

If you need cold-weather gear in Alaska, you may want to keep it.

It was 60’s & sunny in Seward on our Trans Pacific - Vancouver to Tokyo SEPT/OCT 2018.  
I was in short sleeves & capris in Seward. 
Warm weather & cold weather clothes were both appreciated on the ship & land during our journey. 

• Like 1

Particularly if you wish to walk on deck It may be sunny but movement and winds might mean a warmer long sleeve or a wind and rainproof jacket is welcome.

Japan can get big rains during September and even though it may be warm-ish, it might get wet

• Like 2