Any scenic train rides at port?

3113Timmy

As a lifelong railway enthusiast, I'm just wondering have any of you cruisers found the time while in port to do a shortish scenic train ride? It's probably not enough time to do one along its full length but I'd be very happy riding for a couple of hours while saving a bit of time to see the usual sights too. I love anything that runs on rails, so streetcars as well.

Examples:

Nice to Digne

Ajaccio to Corte (Corsica)

Not limited to France where I am going next but would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Hope this helps.

I knew of one from Nice but not that there are actually two which would give you a choice. I m always wary of copyright so only this for now but there should be lots of info online.

You can make for the mountains via two different trains, the Train des Merveilles or the Train des Pignes, with each leaving from a different train station, going a different direction, and traversing different valleys with completely different landscapes.

And as mentioned above, the Blue Coast train from Marseille.

We drove that area with French friends in September 2019 as it was an area we were unfamiliar with and for some of the route we could see the railway line alongside. As we were driving, our plan was a little different and we stopped at a few scenic coves along the way.We had lunch at Carry le Rouet before finishing our drive at Martigues.

Again, info online, and the Marvellous Provence website has quite detailed info.

But you could actually consider taking a train from Marseille to Nice, or Cannes as back in the day that route ran alongside the sea for much of the way.  If you decide this, sit on the right side when  facing forward for the best sea views.

As for Corsica, the internet is your friend for "scenic train routes from Ajaccio" or similar.

Edited by edinburgher

The Train de Pignes is one of the most fun train rides in a steam train.  It used to run from Nice to Annot, but currently only runs from Puget-Theniers and Annot.  The best stop is at Entrevaux with its wonderful hilltop castle.  You can take the regular train to Puget-Theniers and change to the steam train.  On the return, you can take the regular train back.  The steam train runs from May to October.  The schedules are not out yet.  But here are some links:

https://www.traindespignes.fr/

https://storage.googleapis.com/is-wp-58-prod/uploads-prod/2022/01/11d6effa-fiche-horaires-nice-digne-03012022.pdf

https://storage.googleapis.com/is-wp-58-prod/uploads-prod/2020/08/Plan-touristique-fr-ang-CP-2020.pdf

• Like 1

Smiles at the OP's post.  Nice to Digne on a port day?   Tres Impossible!  Ajaccio to Cortes?  Not sure this train even exists anymore but it would be a stretch on a port day.  If the train were to break-down it would likely be near impossible to get back to Ajaccio in time for embarkation.  

But Europe does have some amazing train rides although our favorite is not possible on any cruise day.  We really enjoyed taking the train from Luzerne to Jungfrau which does involve two trains...both with amazing views.

Hank