Shots

Hobar

The WHO website has requirements/recommendations (under vaccinations...lots of info on COVID so it's pretty easy to get misdirected there).  There was quite a bit of back and forth several years ago about making yellow fever a lifetime vaccine (no need for boosters).  I don't know where that went but if it's just a recommendation now, I'm not getting another one.  I've had three.  I took malaria prophylaxis for this trip.  Some people don't but I always do.   I loaded up with insect repellent and had the insect repellent clothing and I still got bit.  We also got the typhoid, Hep A and update on tetanus vaxes.  

Sometimes it can take time to procure the yellow fever vaccine, so if you need it make sure you give yourself time to get that.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hoosier74 said:

making yellow fever a lifetime vaccine (no need for boosters).  I don't know where that went

Yellow Fever is now considered a lifetime shot. 

7 hours ago, hoosier74 said:

Sometimes it can take time to procure the yellow fever vaccine, so if you need it make sure you give yourself time to get that.

Thanks for this reminder. My husband and I plan to get it for our circumnavigation of South America cruise starting in January, 2023. With the business of getting all our Covid shots including boosters it went on the back burner. I need to see my doctor soon for my annual check so I will ask about organising it.

On 3/17/2022 at 7:12 AM, hoosier74 said:

The WHO website has requirements/recommendations (under vaccinations...lots of info on COVID so it's pretty easy to get misdirected there).  There was quite a bit of back and forth several years ago about making yellow fever a lifetime vaccine (no need for boosters).  I don't know where that went but if it's just a recommendation now, I'm not getting another one.  I've had three.  I took malaria prophylaxis for this trip.  Some people don't but I always do.   I loaded up with insect repellent and had the insect repellent clothing and I still got bit.  We also got the typhoid, Hep A and update on tetanus vaxes.  

Thanks so much. This was soooo helpful. (Much appreciate the answer to my question rather than hijacking the post to tell me about past and/or future cruises. Ha.)

On 3/18/2022 at 7:40 AM, frantic36 said:

Yellow Fever is now considered a lifetime shot. 

Thanks for this reminder. My husband and I plan to get it for our circumnavigation of South America cruise starting in January, 2023. With the business of getting all our Covid shots including boosters it went on the back burner. I need to see my doctor soon for my annual check so I will ask about organising it.

as far as I know in Oz, your GP cant do the Yellow Fever vaccinations....you need to go to a "Travel Doctor"..... may have changed now, not sure...

41 minutes ago, 2seabournsailors said:

as far as I know in Oz, your GP cant do the Yellow Fever vaccinations....you need to go to a "Travel Doctor"..... may have changed now, not sure...

I think you are correct. There is a Travel Doctor I can easily get to in Perth so I will check with my GP. I will get the yellow fever vaccine after we come back from the mid year cruise since our South America cruise isn't until January. 

The Travel Doctor is pretty much the same in the US as these types of vaccines are only available through public health sites.  You can get flu and maybe tetanus through your doctor and that's about it except for childhood.  

On 3/20/2022 at 6:13 PM, 2seabournsailors said:

We’re not in Oz, but same in the US.  Have to go to special travel health clinics.