Corkage fees

Maryannenotginger

"Corkage" is just a term they use. If you bring wine from home, no matter what the top, they will charge you the fee. It's the way they make money from those who don't purchase their wine on the ship. BTW, because there's been such a problem with rotting cork, many high end wines are going to screwtops.

I got charged a corkage fee at the time we were getting on NCL! I had a bottle of wine in our carry on. They opened my carry on, saw the wine and charged me, even though I only drank the wine in our cabin! Its just a way of getting more money from passengers.

Bonnie, I've heard that before about NCL. Carnival, for instance, allows you to bring wine on, and even if they see it in your carry-on luggage, you aren't charged any fee.

If you plan to consume the wine in your cabin, there's no problem - they certainly don't charge a fee for you to do that.;)

However, if you take your bottle of wine to the dining room, they state that a corkage fee of $10 will be charged; however, I've done this a coupla times, and have never been charged. I believe it's up to your individual waiter - some do charge, others don't.

Not knowing which cruiseline the OP will be on, we can't really give her a definitive answer - except that corkage refers to service of wine, not uncorking a bottle.

While sailing on the Sovereign last month, I carried a bottle of Asti to dinner on the last night to share with our table mates. Gave it to the Head Waiter and asked for it to be iced which they did with smiles and did not charge any fee to our account, which I would have willingly paid since I was aware of the practice of doing so.

I agree that it is probably hit or miss depending on your waiter or head waiter and possibly your drinking preferences through out the week. I ordered from the bar before dinner each night and this did not cut into what I normally would have ordered. (it was in addition to)..........:)

The whole idea behind corkage fees is to discourage folks from bringing on their own wine to save money. At the same time, the cruise lines--and many upscale land-based restuarants--want to accommodate their customers by allowing them to bring a special bottle to dinner. Paying a nominal sum (call it labor cost) is fair, in my book.

Now if you are drinking 2 Buck Chuck (hint: it costs two dollars), then a corkage fee seems excessive. However, if it's say Chateau Petrus, or some exotic, then $10 or whatever is pretty reasonable, given that the same bottle would cost you a lot more if it purchased aboard--assuming they even stocked it.

Capeesh?:)

I thought that the OP posted this as a "joke" so I didn't bother answering. You know, like when someone asks "Does the crew go home at night?"

Now that I see that there are serious replies, I'm suprised that no one else thought it was a spoof. Does she really not understand that a "corkage fee" has nothing to do with what kind of cork the bottle has or doesn't have?

I should have added that I go to a bar and ask for a wine glass. Then I do take my glass of wine to the dining room. Never been questioned about this. I could have gotten the glass at a bar. NCL is only line that charged for bring wine aboard. No other line has done this!

Most fine restaurants will charge you a corkage fee also I you want to bring your own wine...the fee is for the glasses and sometimes the icing down, wine bucket and serving of the wine. I think it's great that they let you bring your own wine...that way you can enjoy your type of wine and it makes what your eating extra special. In your cabin consumption usually does not cost you...except for the tip if you order ice, a bucket, opener or glasses, then a tip is a nice gesture. I understand your frustration...in the past few years it seems like ships are nickle and diming you to death...but I'm willing to put up with it if it makes my trip special. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived