2 class upgrade and question regarding The Radiance

Kclovesken

Hey y'all 🙂

This is my first cruise with Carnival and I'm kinda confused on a few things. It says I can get an upgrade I am not sure what that means. Also any general tips for cruising from seasoned cruisers for travelling with Carnival? It's my mom's bday and we are just taking a 4 day cruise as she has never been on one before ❤️

When I was new I had unreasonable hopes when it said 2 category free upgrade. It doesnt mean out of your general class. Like you pay for a 4a inside bottom deck and get a 4c, deck 3. Same for ovs and balconys. Means little in my experience. Maybe a slightly higher deck than you paid for. Same cabin.

Just relax, and enjoy. Tell the waiters it's her birthday and they will sing to her and give her a piece of cake. 

All cabins go to the same stops, dont go crazy price wise if it's not in the budget. I love port holes. I go cheap.  

• Thanks 1

Not sure about the upgrade offer, but we love staying in a room with a balcony.  

We were just on the Radiance last weekend.  I highly recommend paying for dinner at the steakhouse or Italian place one night.  Both were excellent.

There is a shuttle that you can take into town in Ensenada that only costs $4 a person.  

• Thanks 1

Ohhhh she will be in for a treat. If you have a travel agent, or a PVP tell them that this  is is a special event for your cruise as it's your Mom's birthday, AND i her first cruise on any cruise ship, AND you chose Carnival. That's what I basically told the Carnival's Guest Relations rep, after we boarded the Dream in July, 2019. We were celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary AND we were celebrating my birthday. They went all out and gave us a B'day cake, and we had a bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries waiting in our room that evening. And to top it off, they gave us 2 drink vouchers. Here's some pics: 

20190727_171050.jpg

20190727_190627(0).jpg

20190727_190709.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Kclovesken said:

Awesome thanks for the info. I am excited that she actually is wanting to go so I am hoping this gets her feet wet for a 7day later :0) 

Does the room have a little fridge in it?

Yes, but it doesn't get cold, just cool.

Don't put a lot of thought into the 'upgrade', it is primarily marketing.  Cruise lines not only separate cabins by type such as interior or balcony but go further and divide each type into to categories depending primarily on location.  It is a matrix of deck heights and fore/aft position that drives it based on perceived desirability.  Normally the higher the deck and the closer to the middle of the ship are the highest categories.  Those subsections usually cost incrementally more as the level increases.  For example, you may be looking at a mid-ship interior on deck 3 that is a category 4A, if they are advertising a '2 category upgrade' means they will put you in a 4C at no additional cost.  The thing is that may be the exact same cabin on deck 4.  Sure it is a 'better' cabin location, one deck higher, but it is not some mind blowing change.

For Fun Times....I would check out St. Greg's page.  He has one of the better collections I have found on the web from Fun Times to menus.

Saint Greg's Travels

48 minutes ago, Californian said:

Thanks very much for your trip report.  I was thinking I might get the fruit plate and cheese plate in the main dining room or fruit from the buffet and take them to our cabin so that we would have snacks for when venues are closed in the afternoon.

On 3/18/2022 at 8:57 PM, Elaine5715 said:

Yes, but it doesn't get cold, just cool.

You were lucky we had zero cool. E checked for switches, pulling unit out etc- it has no condenser like o,d refriges. All we had was a box with a light! I put on must bring list- cooler (Carnival compliant) and ask for an ice bucket filled daily. 

On 3/18/2022 at 6:02 PM, Kclovesken said:

Hey y'all 🙂

This is my first cruise with Carnival and I'm kinda confused on a few things. It says I can get an upgrade I am not sure what that means. Also any general tips for cruising from seasoned cruisers for travelling with Carnival? It's my mom's bday and we are just taking a 4 day cruise as she has never been on one before ❤️

Been sailing Carnival over 16 years and in slecting cabin location- our preferences have changed over years. But traveling with Senior parents so having a lido room helped with convenience. 
1.) when looking at cabin location look at that same location above you, as well as below. 

2.)Look at “empty squares (usually cream colored on deck maps) they are usually crew pantry, laundry, just a louder area in am especially. 

3.)Avoid a room short distance from lido entrances or atrium as noise tends to travel down hall & up.

4.) also I like mid decks levels and midship (middle) location if possible. 

5.)Have sailed out of Long Beach twice and another in June - any logistic  questions just ask.  Such as Long beach terminal

12 hours ago, Buffettfan 225 said:

Been sailing Carnival over 16 years and in slecting cabin location- our preferences have changed over years. But traveling with Senior parents so having a lido room helped with convenience. 
1.) when looking at cabin location look at that same location above you, as well as below. 

2.)Look at “empty squares (usually cream colored on deck maps) they are usually crew pantry, laundry, just a louder area in am especially. 

3.)Avoid a room short distance from lido entrances or atrium as noise tends to travel down hall & up.

4.) also I like mid decks levels and midship (middle) location if possible. 

5.)Have sailed out of Long Beach twice and another in June - any logistic  questions just ask.  Such as Long beach terminal

Thank you so much. Does the LB port have decent parking? We were gonna use hotel but would rather hop off and jet out if we can. 

Long Beach Carnival Parking is easiest of any ports we have used. It is literally right there, extremely close walk. Cost is $23 per day.

This cruise arrived at 10:20am for 10:30 board time and cruisers were coming out, and able to get a spot to back into in main row and down. Did not matter when exiting at 7:25am- no cars or people movement and easy exit. 

I did notice that as pulled luggage to parking there were already taxis waiting if wondering. 

We did stay in a hotel in Torrance the night prior as our drive is approx 4hrs. from home. The Torrance Courtyard did not charge parking fees (vs Long Beach hotels all did), the hotel was close to shopping malls and Sunday were in town to visit Torrance Street Faire/flea market (free) 4th Sunday of month that was close by. Long Beach also has one, but was prior weekend I believe. 

Three years ago we took same cruise and learned hint of that should try and back into a parking space, and try and get on a down ramp. We were in gridlock trying to back out into a line already waiting to pay. However, this was middle of July high season precovid. 

Deciding to park or not depends on if using own vehicle, or if flying what airport using. I know LAX airport car rental is off site and would require a drop off and bus shuttle to airport. Have not used Long Beach airport, so maybe cheaper catching a taxi than parking fees or rental car fees to pay for rental and parking. 

583409E4-8AA6-4CD9-9C9C-E06746306F44.jpeg

Edited by Buffettfan 225
add info

On 3/20/2022 at 1:25 PM, Kclovesken said:

Thank you so much. Does the LB port have decent parking? We were gonna use hotel but would rather hop off and jet out if we can. 

On 3/18/2022 at 6:35 PM, Kclovesken said:

Awesome thanks for the info. I am excited that she actually is wanting to go so I am hoping this gets her feet wet for a 7day later :0) 

Does the room have a little fridge in it?

BRING A COOLER Carnival compliant size. They “used to” have real mini refrigerators, last cruise Feb 28, they changed them to a barely cool if lucky. Ours did zero cool. Bring a small cooler and ask for ice bucket also. Our cooler is leak proof, but wrap a cooler in a towel in case of leaking, or put it in refrig! You are allowed to bring a 12 pack of cans per person. I prefer Coke so brought on board.

I also brought from dollar star the precut folded sheets of aluminum foil. It helped store some banana bread from breakfast, cookies for later snack when lido closes.  Also helped cover my food when I went to get chicken strips and fries and carried to patio picnic tables by Pig & Anchor. 

On 3/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, Kclovesken said:

Is it possible to see any past funtimes? 

I posted them recently. Click on box

Edited by Buffettfan 225

Here is thread with the fun times I posted. Plus other items I am working in post adding to it. 

This is just my opinion - 

Ensenada- if a senior I would skip walking into Ensenada, uneven sidewalks, vendors hawking goods. I would at best get off and walk past shops as there is a nice landscape area and a sign can take photos with. We also enjoyed on port side near bow watching the sea lions from above all day (our cabin was above it). Ground level they smelled! Having been to LaBufadora before skipped it this trip There is a reliable vendor for vanilla in a pharmacy right across from McDonaldsn Ensenada if you do walk. Many on main street vendors tried riping us off in price with pesos conversion, or had ingredients in it undesirable. I will add more on that in original post. 

Catalina- Got off early and rented a golf cart - enjoyed our ride around island, dropped it back and enjoyed waterfront shopping. Island also has a Vons food store if need anything. Enjoyed the water shuttle ride too. 

Edited by Buffettfan 225