Water Bottle pre-boarding

Dietemann

I have read the new rules about plastic water bottles not allowed to bring on the ship (Nieuw Statendam). We will arrive by Cruise Connection bus in FLL, probably by 1 pm, our boarding time is posted for 3:20 pm, so no food until then.

We definitely will need to bring a snack, will we also be able to bring some bottled water to drink while we are waiting to board?

I think you can, my understanding is that the new rules are to promote the decrease of plastic in the ocean. If you bring bottled water and leave the empty on your balcony, there's a pretty good chance that it might get blown away and into the ocean (for instance).

A related question I have is what classifies for these new rules? Our family does a lot of hiking, so we have a ton of reusable water bottles. I like to bring those to the airport, go through security with them empty and then fill up at a drinking fountain for free. Can I do something similar on the ship, or are those types of water bottles against the rules too?

I'm hoping the water can with screw top will be back.  Possibly just a provisioning inconsistency?  I know that brands of items on my HAL cruises in the past did vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

~Nancy

7 hours ago, soundman99 said:

A related question I have is what classifies for these new rules? Our family does a lot of hiking, so we have a ton of reusable water bottles. I like to bring those to the airport, go through security with them empty and then fill up at a drinking fountain for free. Can I do something similar on the ship, or are those types of water bottles against the rules too?

Sure, I’ve been traveling with a refillable water bottle for years and have always found HAL’s stateroom tap water to be fine for drinking. I fill my bottle to use in the cabin and when we go ashore.

I agree with others; the tap water is perfectly fine to drink. It's what HAL uses to cook with, and to make ice, and  coffee, etc.. I always bring a metal hot/cold drink container with a tight fitting top which comes in handy when going ashore. 

6 hours ago, oakridger said:

I'm hoping the water can with screw top will be back.  Possibly just a provisioning inconsistency?  I know that brands of items on my HAL cruises in the past did vary from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

~Nancy

They said these are the new ones.  There were a few screw tops but they were in hot demand.  I’m pretty sure there will be complaints about them because they are useless unless you drink the whole can immediately.

On my Rotterdam cruise in Dec. 2021, I brought on board 14 containers of premade protein shakes. I told HAL in advance that I was doing so. I have heard that you can bring aboard refillables from a number of cruise bloggers. They also recommend filling them up on board from the taps or water fountains.