Viking Boarding Day in Paris

Travel_Maven

We will be in Paris is September using the Pre-Cruise Extension with Viking.  There are no excursion options for that day and we would like to continue to enjoy Paris on our own if possible.  Will boarding take the entire day or will we have sufficient time to enjoy the city before or after boarding?  Thanks!!

The boarding process for river ships typically is little more than “hello Travel_Maven, may I have your passport please.” Perhaps a photo, then you get your key, and off to your cabin or to the lounge if cabins aren’t ready. I assume Viking follows this process. 

The only hitch I can see is if you must accompany your luggage from the hotel to the ship and utilize Viking transport on their timetable. 

• Like 2

Thanks folks!  We are boarding in Paris according to our itinerary.  We will end in Le Pecq. I just don't know what time we leave our pre-cruise hotel but we are in a suite so I think we board early.  Hopefully we can venture back out after we check-in, get tested, etc.  I was hoping someone who has done this cruise could give me some information.

17 hours ago, Travel_Maven said:

....... I just don't know what time we leave our pre-cruise hotel but we are in a suite so I think we board early.  Hopefully we can venture back out after we check-in, get tested, etc.  I was hoping someone who has done this cruise could give me some information.

I've not sailed with Viking but I don't believe your choice of cabin will have much affect on your boarding time. As CPT Trips mentioned the boarding process won't take long so either you'll have time before or after (maybe both) joining the ship to explore on your own. I'd suggest a Hop on Hop off bus pass that you could use throughout the day. 

Have a wonderful vacation!
Paul

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wings55 said:

I've not sailed with Viking but I don't believe your choice of cabin will have much affect on your boarding time. As CPT Trips mentioned the boarding process won't take long so either you'll have time before or after (maybe both) joining the ship to explore on your own. I'd suggest a Hop on Hop off bus pass that you could use throughout the day. 

Have a wonderful vacation!
Paul

Check-in consisted of "What is your name?"--pretty much it.  Our bags were taken by crew and an officer showed us around our room.  You check in whenever you arrive.

• Like 1

If you are boarding in Paris, leave your luggage with the Viking host at the hotel (they will transfer your bags to the ship) and do as you please for the day. Then you can go to the ship when you get ready. No problem. The host will tell you what time you need to be back at the ship (probably late afternoon). 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new Viking ships for the Seine River, which were named a few weeks ago, dock very close to the Eiffel Tower at Port de Grenelle.  A great location.  Here’s the Viking press release from the naming ceremony:

https://www.vikingcruises.com/press/press-releases/viking-expands-european-river-fleet-with-naming-of-eight-new-ships-and-marks-beginning-of-2022-river-season.html

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing Amsterdam to Basel, viking cruise, so our situation might be different, but we are also wondering about the boarding process. When we arrive, I presume we will have to go to the ship to drop off our luggage. Is that when we get tested for covid? Or can we go off on our own in Amsterdam before actually boarding the ship? We weren't sure when our rooms would be ready so where we would wait for the results to come back. This is my first river cruise, and then adding in covid ... So many unknowns! lol

On 4/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Kris36 said:

.... When we arrive, I presume we will have to go to the ship to drop off our luggage. Is that when we get tested for covid? Or can we go off on our own in Amsterdam before actually boarding the ship? We weren't sure when our rooms would be ready so where we would wait for the results to come back. ...

I've not sailed with Viking but after checking in, most lines will let you wait on the top deck or in the lounge if your stateroom is not yet ready. On our last R.C. we were tested as we boarded the ship and had to have a negative result before we could proceed. 

I'm sure you'll love your cruise!
Paul

• Thanks 1