Wine and Beer Policy on Viking?

joseph123

Hello. 

I am considering a cruise this winter on Viking and have a question regarding their wine and beer policy to determine if I would need to purchase the upgraded plan.

When they say wine and beer is complimentary at Lunch and dinner, does that mean that it would only be served in the restaurants, or would that be the same at the outdoor venues? Is it at any bar during certain hours only, like 12-2 for lunch or 5 to 9 for dinner?

I understand that you can also bring wine and liquor onboard.

Just want to be clear on the policy to determine what would work best for me.

Thanks much! 

I know for certain that they serve beer and wine at the World Cafe on Deck 7. I'm pretty sure they don't serve gratis beer or wine at any bars during meals. But (pre Covid) at the World Cafe you could pop in, sit at a table, get your drink, then wander away without getting any food. Servers actively suggest topping you off before you leave the retaurant or Cafe with your drinks.

• Like 1

I can answer some of your questions.

Wine, beer and soft drinks (brand-named bottled water, canned sodas and fruit juices) are complimentary at lunch and dinner but only the house wines and beers.  If you don't like the wine of the day, you may purchase by the glass or bottle. Whether this means that you can walk up to any bar and get a wine or a beer during meal hours, I can't tell you. However, the wait staff will offer beer and wine to anyone who is seated with food during those hours.

There is only one outdoor venue, Aquavit, and it is an extension of the World Cafe; if you are lunching or dining out there, the same staff that covers the WC covers the terrace as well;  during meal times, they will serve you wine, beer and soft drinks.

Viking has a very liberal BYO policy and they encourage guests to try the local wines, beers and potent potables.

• BYO may be consumed anywhere on the ship-- no brown bags or sippy cups required to hide the fact that you haven' purchased from the bar.
  • The bar will supply glasses as needed; mixers may be purchased on board.
  • The bartenders will even mix drinks for you using your BYO (they will charge for any mixers used but I'm not sure how that works exactly).
  • There is no corkage fee for bottles consumed in the restaurants.
  • There is a wine bottle opener in the mini-bar in your cabin. Your steward will keep you supplied with wine glasses; just ask.
  • Any bartender will also open a bottle for you.

There is also a lot more discussion about the drinks package currently going on in these threads:

Silver Spirits Pkg & Specialty Coffees

Silver Spirits Package for one person only

• Like 3

I think Viking's policy re: alcohol is very adult.  On a recent 17 day cruise I brought a 12 pack of beer and my wife a bottle of rum.  We enjoyed having beer and wine served with meals.  I had to make a beer run around day 12 when we stopped at Puntarenas.

Our total bar tab for our cruse was around $35.

The drinks packages are probably best suited for heavy drinkers or people who demand upscale wines. 

1 hour ago, Opinica said:

I think Viking's policy re: alcohol is very adult.  On a recent 17 day cruise I brought a 12 pack of beer and my wife a bottle of rum.  We enjoyed having beer and wine served with meals.  I had to make a beer run around day 12 when we stopped at Puntarenas.

Our total bar tab for our cruse was around $35.

The drinks packages are probably best suited for heavy drinkers or people who demand upscale wines. 

Or who enjoy the social atmosphere found in the various venues while having an adult beverage. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Wine, beer and soft drinks (brand-named bottled water, canned sodas and fruit juices) are complimentary at lunch and dinner but only the house wines and beers.

Not a wine drinker but a beer snob.  This then begs the question of what are the house beers?

8 hours ago, ericosmith said:

Not a wine drinker but a beer snob.  This then begs the question of what are the house beers?

They have a pleasant Norwegian IPA, an Amber Ale and a Porter, which were all very drinkable. In some ports they also brought on some local craft beers. Not sure if you require the SSBP to order these options.

Carlsberg Lager was the draught beer on tap.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

They have a pleasant Norwegian IPA, an Amber Ale and a Porter, which were all very drinkable. In some ports they also brought on some local craft beers. Not sure if you require the SSBP to order these options.

I believe that what Heidi13 is trying to say is that he is not sure if the additional options he mentions are considered Premium drinks and therefore covered under on the SSBP.

Any one can order what they want; the question is if it is considered a meal time freebie or whether folks who didn't opt for the package will have to pay for it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

DH is quite fond of the Norwegian amber and he ordered it regularly at lunch or dinner.  SSBP not necessary.  

• Like 2