Spirt - numerous issues

snooper1225

I asked a serious question of the OP. When she responds, I'll see if I have any advice for her. In the meantime, I'm not sure what kind of advice to give to someone that thinks service is lacking because of the auto gratuity. .

I don't blame her for not liking the auto gratuity. A gratuity should be EARNED, not expected. My husband is a very very generous tipper. But the fact that there is auto gratuity on NCL, has soured him, in fact angered him. We will have $140 in gratuity charged to our cc and that's all they will get. Too bad, the staff could have earned so much more.

I don't blame her for not liking the auto gratuity. A gratuity should be EARNED, not expected. My husband is a very very generous tipper. But the fact that there is auto gratuity on NCL, has soured him, in fact angered him. We will have $140 in gratuity charged to our cc and that's all they will get. Too bad, the staff could have earned so much more.
I don't think you're thinking about it in the right way. If the auto gratuity wasn't there, chances are you'd tip at least the minimum and maybe more. By having it automatic, you're saved the hassle of cash and envelopes, etc. for something you were going to do anyway. But let's say you didn't think the service warranted what you're being automatically charged? Then you go to the reception desk and have them adjust it and let them know why you're adjusting it so they can work on it. Bottom line...you can adjust those tips any way you want to and you can also add more. I don't think the staff should be punished because the system of tipping is different from what you're used to. If you don't think the tip has been earned, change it. But if you think it was earned and they deserve more, then you should tip more. More and more cruise lines have switched to this kind of tipping and I personally don't think service suffers because of it. Having said all that...if you don't like it, then you don't like it and it's OK for you to feel that way.

I hear people complaining about service on NCL compared to other lines, but what I've recieved on NCL compares very well to the others. I believe some perceive the service can't be as good because of no incentive because of the mandantory tip.

There are two very big incentives for giving good service:

1. They will NOT get stiffed on a tip as does happen on other lines.

2. On an international crew, they know there are thousands out there applying for their job if they don't want to do it.

Actually, there are three as there are people like me who tip extra for extra service.

I like the fact that I don't have to worry about how much to tip, having the extra cash to tip, etc. It's all taken care of and I like that. I have never felt I received lesser service on NCL. You're right, let's see what advice OP is seeking.

Snoop,

There are alot of lines leaving from NYC now and going to many different places.

We have gone on other lines and we have always enjoyed sitting with the same people every night. Freestyle really is different but I do have a suggestion for you.

JOIN YOUR ROLL CALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am sure they are going to have some sort of get together where you will meet everyone. This way when you go around the ship you will probably bump into all your new friends. 2 years ago, on a roll call for the Dawn, someone asked a question. I told her she could email me if she had other questions. By the time we met on the pier before boarding we were already great friends. CC brought us together. Last year our rollcall had a meeting the 1st day and 20 of us met. Alot of us joined the martini clinic together, murder mystery dinner, met for lunch and had a party in the Garden Villa. It really added to our enjoyment. TRY IT!!!

Enjoy!

Jeanne

Hey Lady,

Remember me...from Dawn '05 Vz cruise? Well I see you are going on the Spirit in August, be sure to let me know what you think of it, we are booked in Sept. for the Spirit. I hope we meet great people like we did on the Dawn last year. I hope you have a fantastic time. Keep in touch.

Neverthought

First, I would like to thank everyone who posts reviews. It is very nice of you to take the time to do so and it is extremely helpful to those of us who are waiting to board.

I am cruising on the Spirit 3/12/06. Although this cruise is very convenient leaving from New York (mainly because my husband will not get on an airplane), I do not share everyone's opinions about ncl being so great. I have been on the Dawn for the last 2 years. I have cruised many times before on several different cruise lines. It's not that I don't like ncl, but it is my least favorite. I hope I don't get bombarded with angry responses, here goes:

I don't really like the freestyle dining. I like that you can eat whatever time you want, but I don't like that you don't sit with other people. In the past, I have made some of my best friends at my dinner table. I wish you could have your choice, that would be better. I also feel that the waiters do not go out of their way too much. I think that this has alot to do with you not sitting at the same table every night and also because their tip is automatically taken out of your credit card, I don't think that's such a great idea either. I have also seen a difference with the cabin steward and I think it's because of the tipping as well. I am not saying that they are not friendly but I think they're more friendly and accommodating on other cruise lines. (for example RCCL and Celebrity).

I know these things aren't the most important things, overall we still have a great time of course.

I hope I didn't insult anyone. I think ncl is wonderful for offering these cruises out of New York. These are my opinions, that's all. Maybe someone has some advice?

thanks so much

I guess I am a little confused too about why exactly you posted and what sort of advice you wanted.

1. You don't like Freestyle dining - perfectly reasonable some don't like it but that is what NCL offers - they don't offer traditional dining.

If you are looking for ways to make your dining experience "less" Freestyle - you got some good advice (ask for the same waiter every night, dine in the same dining room at the same time, ask to be seated with others (NCL does not force you to dine alone)

2. If you want to meet other people go to the CC get-together. Maybe you will meet some potential dining companions.

3. Personally I find the service on NCL to be the same or better than on our three "traditional" style cruises but I guess that depends on what constitutes "good" service for some people. I like service to be professional and efficient but I don't want the waiter or cabin steward to "suck up to me" constantly just to get a tip. Except for a couple of minor exceptions, we found that service in the dining room was fine. Also on our last 2 NCL cruises we had truly excellent cabin stewards - so good that we did tip them extra. We made several special requests of them (handled politely and efficiently). Only one of our "traditional" cabin stewards was in the same league when it came to excellent service.

I am not sure what else people can tell you. NCL is not going to switch back to traditional dining - so I guess you must deal with it as best you can. And as for "auto" tipping, other cruiselines are following NCL's lead in that and doing the same thing. If you don't have a cruise entirely to your liking because of Freestyle dining and auto-tipping, I hope that you have one that is at least acceptable.

First, I would like to thank everyone who posts reviews. It is very nice of you to take the time to do so and it is extremely helpful to those of us who are waiting to board.

I am cruising on the Spirit 3/12/06. Although this cruise is very convenient leaving from New York (mainly because my husband will not get on an airplane), I do not share everyone's opinions about ncl being so great. I have been on the Dawn for the last 2 years. I have cruised many times before on several different cruise lines. It's not that I don't like ncl, but it is my least favorite. I hope I don't get bombarded with angry responses, here goes:

I don't really like the freestyle dining. I like that you can eat whatever time you want, but I don't like that you don't sit with other people. In the past, I have made some of my best friends at my dinner table. I wish you could have your choice, that would be better. I also feel that the waiters do not go out of their way too much. I think that this has alot to do with you not sitting at the same table every night and also because their tip is automatically taken out of your credit card, I don't think that's such a great idea either. I have also seen a difference with the cabin steward and I think it's because of the tipping as well. I am not saying that they are not friendly but I think they're more friendly and accommodating on other cruise lines. (for example RCCL and Celebrity).

I know these things aren't the most important things, overall we still have a great time of course.

I hope I didn't insult anyone. I think ncl is wonderful for offering these cruises out of New York. These are my opinions, that's all. Maybe someone has some advice?

thanks so much

You shouldn't feel you have insulted anyone just because you are being honest. Lots of people feel the way you do about traditional dining but you said, yourself you like the freedom of dining when you want. Well we can't have it both ways. As for making good friends, this is true but if you have ever spent a week or more at a table with people you have absolutely nothing in common with you might welcome freestyle. We actually have made more friends since freestyle became our choice for dining. If we sit with someone we do have things in common with we decide to meet them again, if we do not like whomever we are eating with we don't have to sit with them again. One of the best ways to get to know people is to join the CC welcome party, or to set up a meeting place the first night. This has worked well and these are the ones we end up spending time with. Also plan on touring with someone you make contact with prior to sailing: again, this is a great way to have instant friends. As for service not being as good, we have found it just as good (cabin steward that is) on NCL as our last 2 Celebrity cruises. The big difference seems to be the stewards often don't introduce themselves on NCL. I don't like this but I don't think it affects the service. Dining room service, well our first freestyle cruise I would agree, since then our service has been outstanding though, of course, not a personable. However our last Celebrity cruise, just a few months ago our waiter preceeded each night to give us a lecture on how great he was and how hard he worked for us. This did not sit well with any of the 8 at the table, especially when he kept forgetting to give DH a menu. I guess it is all in the luck of the draw. I read a review from someone on the X board who had the same wait person and couldn't stop raving about him. We all see things differently. I know you will have a good cruise and will make the best of it even if NCL isn't your favorite line. I do wonder why you were posting? Was it just to let us all know you were going on a line cause DH didn't want to fly or are you preparing yourself for a bad cruise? NMNita

I believe its 3.50 for the room steward, 3.50 for the waiters 2.50 for the bus staff and .50 for the maitre d. With all the postings by employees no one has ever said it doesn't go all to the staff...If they do a good job I always leave extra for the room staff. Sometimes I give extra to certain wait staff....

normally between $40-60 per week(for two)

I am glad its mandatory!

I am really glad that the mandatory tip does go to the staff and not a extra profit for ncl corporate. I have no problem with the mandatory $10 a day. From all the cruise line brochures I have looked at it seems right in line. Thank-you for telling me what a extra tip amount is. I am always afraid of tipping too much or too little and insulting the person I am tipping. As you can probable tell I am still new to all this kind of stuff.

This attitude toward the gratuity simply boggles my mind. Anyone who has been on a cruise ship should know that any gratuity is EARNED. The crew simply stands on their collective heads. I suppose twinss's husband wants to walk around the buffet tipping everyone in sight who is involved with service. How ridiculous. Only cheapskates renege on their tip.

And I'm with zeno who finds it annoying when a "traditional" dining waiter sucks up to him. Fawning servers (Oh, Mrs. Hotspur, how nice you look tonight. Here are your favorite berries for dessert.) add nothing to my enjoyment, and I've had no complaints with NCL service on any of my three cruises with them.

I think those who complain about the automatic gratuity haven't traveled very much. Many countries in Europe, Asia, the Bahamas and now Florida have adopted the automatic gratuity. We were very surprised in Dec to be in Maimi and learn that the restaurants add a tip to all checks. We have traveled outside our country and had this happen but not in America. The policy has been in practice many places including the Bahamas for 20 years. I don't mind it at all; in fact we like knowing we don't have to figure out who gets what and $10 a day is very minimal. We usually add a little here and there to those who we feel have gone above and beyond. NMnita

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not quite sure I understand your statement. First, the gratuity is certainly EARNED all week long. As others have said, they can be adjusted, so the staff doesn't automatically 'expect' a certain amount, this can change.

Also, I too am a very generous tipper, sometimes to a fault. A $5.00 tip for a .75 cup of coffee? The magnitute of the service I received went above and beyond. I don't understand what would sour your husband, anger him, because the gratuity is automatic. As a generous tipper myself it angers me more when people see tipping as an 'extra optional expense' and don't tip at all.

So why would you not tip extra, if you normally do, just because your tips are charged automatically? The statement seems a little contradictory to me. If you're normally a generous tipper, why is the automatic tipping 'all they will get' as you say? And if they could have earned so much more, why wouldn't they if they gave you great service? You can tip extra to whoever you wish, so I don't understand your statement.

This attitude toward the gratuity simply boggles my mind. Anyone who has been on a cruise ship should know that any gratuity is EARNED. The crew simply stands on their collective heads. I suppose twinss's husband wants to walk around the buffet tipping everyone in sight who is involved with service. How ridiculous. Only cheapskates renege on their tip.

And I'm with zeno who finds it annoying when a "traditional" dining waiter sucks up to him. Fawning servers (Oh, Mrs. Hotspur, how nice you look tonight. Here are your favorite berries for dessert.) add nothing to my enjoyment, and I've had no complaints with NCL service on any of my three cruises with them.

Wow, you must be a psychic.....in fact, my husband was just mentioning how disappointed he is that he wont be able to "walk around the buffet table tipping everyone". Can you let me know the winning Mega Millions combo for tomorrow nite's drawing????

On our Carnival cruise, we gave our room steward, waiter and bartender at the cigar bar (where hubby spent a lot of time) a $20 bill on the first day. The service couldn't have been better. Of course, the bar tender was tipped daily and we left a generous tip for room steward and waiter. We actually bought some jewelry for our waitress and gave it to her on our last nite.

Of course we will tip.....I was just venting our frustration that its automatic. At work, we have a monthly incentive, and that inspires us to do the best we can to earn that incentive. That's the point I was trying to get across. That's all. I'm sure we will love NCL as much as Carnival.

I am really glad that the mandatory tip does go to the staff and not a extra profit for ncl corporate. I have no problem with the mandatory $10 a day. From all the cruise line brochures I have looked at it seems right in line. Thank-you for telling me what a extra tip amount is. I am always afraid of tipping too much or too little and insulting the person I am tipping. As you can probable tell I am still new to all this kind of stuff.

Me too....I think we all are to some extent.

BTW its my opinion that most of the people who complain about the minimum amount added gave less in the past.

Me too....I think we all are to some extent.

BTW its my opinion that most of the people who complain about the minimum amount added gave less in the past.

Or nothing at all!

A large segment of our society never tips if they can get away with not doing so.

I would agree that these are the ones who most likely find the auto tip offensive.

I believe its 3.50 for the room steward, 3.50 for the waiters 2.50 for the bus staff and .50 for the maitre d. With all the postings by employees no one has ever said it doesn't go all to the staff...If they do a good job I always leave extra for the room staff. Sometimes I give extra to certain wait staff....

normally between $40-60 per week(for two)

I am glad its mandatory!

Wow... I think I'm going to quit my job & become a Maitre d'hotel. At 2,200 passengers, at $0.50 per day that's $5500 per week ($220,000 based on a 40 week year). Even if the Maitre d' had to share with 1 or 2 others, it's still a worthwhile income NOT including their base salary and other perks.

Of course we will tip.....I was just venting our frustration that its automatic. At work, we have a monthly incentive, and that inspires us to do the best we can to earn that incentive. That's the point I was trying to get across. That's all. I'm sure we will love NCL as much as Carnival.
But don't you see that you can adjust the tip so you still control the amount? Also there is an incentive. The crew wants to keep their job. Auto tip or not...bad service over and over will result in being let go. One other thing...the tips are distributed on a scale. The more senior staff get more. You only get to be senior staff and keep your job if you do it well. Anyway...I understand that you're frustrated.

Wow, you must be a psychic.....in fact, my husband was just mentioning how disappointed he is that he wont be able to "walk around the buffet table tipping everyone". Can you let me know the winning Mega Millions combo for tomorrow nite's drawing????

On our Carnival cruise, we gave our room steward, waiter and bartender at the cigar bar (where hubby spent a lot of time) a $20 bill on the first day. The service couldn't have been better. Of course, the bar tender was tipped daily and we left a generous tip for room steward and waiter. We actually bought some jewelry for our waitress and gave it to her on our last nite.

Sorry, you are still missing the point: $10 is a minimum and when you consider what the crew does for you it is a min. Many do not tip above this amount and that is fine, but many of us do. You can still tip anyone you want at any time. If you want to give the bar tender $20 the first day, for heaven's sake you can. We always give someone or more than 1 person quite often extra. I sometimes give the casino gals an extra $10 or $20: DH will give the room steward something at the end quite often. I could go on and on. The crew knows they can expect extra if they give extra service and will work hard to satisfy. It is true you do not get to know your wait staff, that I have already said, but other than that I can't really understand your concerns. At this rate you are setting yourself up for have a less than positive cruise. We are doing the opposite, DD and I may end up taking the Spirit in April. The ports are not what we would pick, the location is not as easy for us as say, Miami or Texas, but we look forward to the adventures of a different ship and have even thought about things we do not look forward to. NMNita

Archived