Excursions on our own

traceytd

For Bordeaux we dock in La Rochelle which seems to be a couple of hours from Bordeaux the city but perhaps is in Bordeaux the region.

Sorry but la Rochelle is not in the Bordeaux Region, but actually on the Atlantic Coast and hugely popular with "yachties" as it can be fairly windy there. There is an older port but the newer  marina is one of the largest in Europe.

WHY NOT STAY IN la ROCHELLE INSTEAD OF SPENDING THAT MANY HOURS TRAVELLING TO AND BACK FROM BORDEAUX?

We were only there once, docked a bit of a distance from la Rochelle town and with no ship shuttle buses  shared a taxi with another couple from the port to a main square near the bus station on the edge of the old town which the driver had assured us was a good starting point.  And it was.

We first went around the wonderful market, wandered a bit in the old town, looked at the big clock, then had lunch.  Thnere are many many bars, cafes and restaurants around the town to choose from.After that we went by the towers at the port area and took the little water bus across to the other side.  (it shuttles back and forth between the two sides). Bit of a busmans holiday going on a wee boat trip, but it was a pretty little ride as it ended by going through some of the huge marina.  Once on the other side, we walked back, stopping to visit the Automaton Museum which also has a Miniatures museum attached. These were quite fun to watch.  Continued walking further on from there until we came to one of the little bridges which we crossed to get back to the older part of town once again and the square where we had started from.Tthere were taxis there and we once again shared with a couple who were also headed back to the ship.

It was a really nice but low key day as we never like to overfill our days.  La Rochelle is actually a holiday destination and a very pleasant town to while away a few hours. There should be lots of info and photos online.

If willing to use a rental car, it is also possible to go from la Rochelle to  nearby ile de Re- a famously chic and fashionable holiday spot for French celebrities and others who can afford to stay there. It is famously "casual" and folks get around on  bicycles.  We did look at going there but without a rental car it was too complicated so we stayed in town..  Access is via a toll bridge

Edited by edinburgher

5 hours ago, edinburgher said:

For Bordeaux we dock in La Rochelle which seems to be a couple of hours from Bordeaux the city but perhaps is in Bordeaux the region.

Sorry but la Rochelle is not in the Bordeaux Region, but actually on the Atlantic Coast and hugely popular with "yachties" as it can be fairly windy there. There is an older port but the newer  marina is one of the largest in Europe.

WHY NOT STAY IN la ROCHELLE INSTEAD OF SPENDING THAT MANY HOURS TRAVELLING TO AND BACK FROM BORDEAUX?

We were only there once, docked a bit of a distance from la Rochelle town and with no ship shuttle buses  shared a taxi with another couple from the port to a main square near the bus station on the edge of the old town which the driver had assured us was a good starting point.  And it was.

We first went around the wonderful market, wandered a bit in the old town, looked at the big clock, then had lunch.  Thnere are many many bars, cafes and restaurants around the town to choose from.After that we went by the towers at the port area and took the little water bus across to the other side.  (it shuttles back and forth between the two sides). Bit of a busmans holiday going on a wee boat trip, but it was a pretty little ride as it ended by going through some of the huge marina.  Once on the other side, we walked back, stopping to visit the Automaton Museum which also has a Miniatures museum attached. These were quite fun to watch.  Continued walking further on from there until we came to one of the little bridges which we crossed to get back to the older part of town once again and the square where we had started from.Tthere were taxis there and we once again shared with a couple who were also headed back to the ship.

It was a really nice but low key day as we never like to overfill our days.  La Rochelle is actually a holiday destination and a very pleasant town to while away a few hours. There should be lots of info and photos online.

If willing to use a rental car, it is also possible to go from la Rochelle to  nearby ile de Re- a famously chic and fashionable holiday spot for French celebrities and others who can afford to stay there. It is famously "casual" and folks get around on  bicycles.  We did look at going there but without a rental car it was too complicated so we stayed in town..  Access is via a toll bridge

Thanks, that sound like a perfect day to me, I like low key.

7 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Yeah -- no thanks. Not happening!  🤣

Google maps makes it out as about an hour and forty minutes each way, and that's without getting to where I could pick up car (no pickup in the port apparently, it's industrial and 5 km from the city).

And here I thought you were a brave adventurer 😸  Too bad the rental place isn't closer.  

No ancient ruins around the port???? 🤣

I'm going to be doing a lot of those hour-and-change drives - there are some places were trying the train just isn't going to work for me.  After doing a car pickup IN ROME and driving through to get out to the autostrada and driving on those windy roads in the Dolomites which have no guardrails, I'm pretty OK with what I end up with.  

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

And here I thought you were a brave adventurer 😸  Too bad the rental place isn't closer.  

No ancient ruins around the port???? 🤣

I'm going to be doing a lot of those hour-and-change drives - there are some places were trying the train just isn't going to work for me.  After doing a car pickup IN ROME and driving through to get out to the autostrada and driving on those windy roads in the Dolomites which have no guardrails, I'm pretty OK with what I end up with.  

Nope, no significant ruins. 😔  However, I did find out that Saintes, which is closer, has some nice ruins including an amphitheatre, baths, and an arch. So guess where I am going now?  It's only an hour by train.

(Has nothing to do with being brave, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I just don't like driving. I'd rather have a root canal than do it on vacation!!!)

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Nope, no significant ruins. 😔  However, I did find out that Saintes, which is closer, has some nice ruins including an amphitheatre, baths, and an arch. So guess where I am going now?  It's only an hour by train.

(Has nothing to do with being brave, I'm not trying to prove anything to anyone. I just don't like driving. I'd rather have a root canal than do it on vacation!!!)

My "brave adventurer" comment was a jest.  You know that.  I just had to say it because I know you hate to drive on vacation!! 

• Haha 1