Antigen tests now required for cruises departing from Spain.

I think all of us sailing in the next several months on RSSC  need some clarification on the current RSSC COVID TEST.REQUIREMENTS- recognizing these requirements are subject to change.

It appears there are now two testing requirements for several upcoming cruises- testing at the port and testing 72 hours prior. While the port testing is clear and unambiguous the 72 hour requirement is confusing. Is it 72 hours before embarkation or 72 hours prior to departure starting your trip?

To illustrate- I am on a cruise that departs July 13  from Rome. I am departing the US on July 6 using RSSC Air in order to spend some time in Italy prior to boarding the ship. Will the test 72 hours prior departing the US on July 6 suffice or do I need to get a test in Italy up to 72 hours prior embarkation?

The answer is significant as it will impact RSSC responsibility if someone in your party tests positive at the port.

I am sure my situation is not unique.

If there is someone from RSSC monitoring this site or if any of you have the definitive answer, I,  and I am sure many others, would appreciate clarification.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

43 minutes ago, ruthe17 said:

I think all of us sailing in the next several months on RSSC  need some clarification on the current RSSC COVID TEST.REQUIREMENTS- recognizing these requirements are subject to change.

It appears there are now two testing requirements for several upcoming cruises- testing at the port and testing 72 hours prior. While the port testing is clear and unambiguous the 72 hour requirement is confusing. Is it 72 hours before embarkation or 72 hours prior to departure starting your trip?

To illustrate- I am on a cruise that departs July 13  from Rome. I am departing the US on July 6 using RSSC Air in order to spend some time in Italy prior to boarding the ship. Will the test 72 hours prior departing the US on July 6 suffice or do I need to get a test in Italy up to 72 hours prior embarkation?

The answer is significant as it will impact RSSC responsibility if someone in your party tests positive at the port.

If there is someone from RSSC monitoring this site or if any of you have the definitive answer, I,  and I am sure many others, would appreciate clarification.

My understanding is that it is 72 hours before embarkation.

27 minutes ago, ruthe17 said:

It looks like to me, from the notification i received, is that at the moment a further test at the port is only for departures from Spain. Regarding the test needed before boarding, is that any cruise that originates from any non U.S port can not be taken no earlier than 72 hours before embarking. So if you are due to embark on Wednesday July 13th then the earliest you can take the test is Sunday 10th July. So it looks like you will have to take the test while you are in Rome. As i'm sure you are aware these protocols could change before you go. Hope this helps.

You are still required an antigen of no more than 72h to board the vessel, in addition, Spain is requiring all passengers to arrive with an antigen of no longer than 24h, my recommendation is do it at the airport before flying over or at a local pharmacy, if you test positive at the terminal, you will be denied boarding.

If you take the RSSC required rapid antigen test at the pier, any earlier test would be pointless at this time (not needed for country entry if fully vaccinated).  Of course if you WANT to take a test on your own before beginning your travel to the ship for peace of mind that's your call.  

2 hours ago, audobon_tx said:

If you take the RSSC required rapid antigen test at the pier, any earlier test would be pointless at this time (not needed for country entry if fully vaccinated).  Of course if you WANT to take a test on your own before beginning your travel to the ship for peace of mind that's your call.  

Not quite true. As I understand it, if you test positive at the pier you will need to show that you tested negative before leaving home to ensure the cruise line will refund you if your insurance denies a claim. Also, the test before you fly saves you the wasted time and money for the flight/hotel if you are positive, not to mention the cost of quarantine in the foreign country. Test first and quarantine at home.

18 minutes ago, CJANDH said:

Not quite true. As I understand it, if you test positive at the pier you will need to show that you tested negative before leaving home to ensure the cruise line will refund you if your insurance denies a claim. Also, the test before you fly saves you the wasted time and money for the flight/hotel if you are positive, not to mention the cost of quarantine in the foreign country. Test first and quarantine at home.

Like I said, peace of mind.

5 hours ago, whatte said:

You are still required an antigen of no more than 72h to board the vessel, in addition, Spain is requiring all passengers to arrive with an antigen of no longer than 24h, my recommendation is do it at the airport before flying over or at a local pharmacy, if you test positive at the terminal, you will be denied boarding.

Where have you got your information from regarding Spain requiring all passengers to arrive with an antigen  test of no longer than 24 hours. This is news to me and Regent have not informed me of this requirement and we board Voyager next week.

Edited by seasickphil

Antigen test at pier not just for Spain embarkation.  According to Regent’s Health and Safety Requirements by Voyage web page “All guests sailing on voyages commencing in Italy, Spain and France will be required to undergo a Covid 19 antigen test at the terminal prior to embarkation.”  This was posted on March 22 for the Explorer cruise departing from Rome on April 10th.

7 hours ago, seasickphil said:

Where have you got your information from regarding Spain requiring all passengers to arrive with an antigen  test of no longer than 24 hours. This is news to me and Regent have not informed me of this requirement and we board Voyager next week.

European Health Committee and local regulations for the Catalonian region in Spain.

2 hours ago, whatte said:

European Health Committee and local regulations for the Catalonian region in Spain.

That is only if you are not fully vaccinated, everyone taking a Regent cruise have to be fully vaccinated.You  just need to fill in Spains PLF no more than 48 hrs before arriving in Spain. No Covid tests required.

• Like 3