Cabanas on the Nieuw Amsterdam

dave34

We are on the Amsterdam last week of may north bound Alaska,  thinking about a retreat cabana. Would this be a good ideal or bad for an Alaska cruise? First time with Hal and Alaska, appreciate anyones thoughts. Thanks 

9 minutes ago, dave34 said:

We are on the Amsterdam last week of may north bound Alaska,  thinking about a retreat cabana. Would this be a good ideal or bad for an Alaska cruise? First time with Hal and Alaska, appreciate anyones thoughts. Thanks 

Personally, I would pass on the retreat cabana.     Even when the ship is moving in warmer climates the retreat cabana can have a good wind.   In my opinion it will be cold.    

I've rented the cabana numerous times (all on Mexico or Panama cruises) and when you are sailing it's quite windy.   When in port it can get warm with no breeze.    On an Alaska cruise, being on deck is usually on the colder side (especially at the glaciers).     

The cabanas are great if you want some peace and quiet, but when it's chilly it's not much fun being wrapped up in blankets.

Just my 2 cents

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree it may be quite cold in Alaska.  I've only cruise to Alaska once, and that was before cabanas came along.  I ALWAYS book one for my Caribbean cruises.  That said, a friend of mine traveling with 3 generations swears by the Retreat cabanas they've booked for Alaska.  They seemed to get good use out of them, particularly when scenic cruising.  The fact that the stewards take such good care of their guests is a plus, too.  You just have to be sure you'll still enjoy it if it's cold out, and will you make use of it enough to justify the cost.

Sue/WDW1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dave34 said:

I can not speak for Alaska, but I will not cruise without a Retreat cabana. It gets me away from other people. I have one booked for Norway in July. 

• Thanks 1

The other thing I would consider is how many port days you have.   Alaska is one of the cruises that I get off the ship at every port.    Mexico, not so much.     

It's also a crap shoot on the weather.   I've been in Anchorage in short sleeves & shorts (and was hot).   The next day we went to Homer and I was absolutely frigid in the rain.    

• Thanks 1

I think for Caribbean great, but for Alaska, not even taking into account that it may be too cold, you can't see much from the Cabanas because of the glass in front of you and even if this was not an issue you  only see one side of the view.   You really want to be on deck with no obstructions to see the sights and you want to easily go back and forth from side to side since the entire point is to try and see everything.    This is why the aft cabins book so quickly - you can stay on your veranda and get the entire view.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

We booked an aft cabin and a retreat so we can see everything on our upcoming Canal Zone cruise to North , Central and South America and we love the view from our last cruise on the NS  !

1561078578_DSC04008(2).thumb.JPG.19170b57cdc2e601e7ba17e204c64f06.JPG

This is a family cabana just so the op understands these aren’t the regular ones.

• Thanks 2