Boarding assistance

Mlcb1

Hi everyone!  I am going to be traveling with my dad in June on the Equinox in a sky suite.  He can walk very short distances but will need a wheelchair to board the ship.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  

Does the service start at the curb when you get dropped off?

If we board early,  will we be able to go directly to the cabin? We have rented him a scooter and it will be in the cabin.

At the end of the cruise, how far will they take him?  Will be have the use of the wheelchair until we get to the Uber pick up area?

sorry for all the questions. I am a planner and like to know ALL the details 😂

There are turquoise-shirted folks who will push him all the way through the terminal.  Then he'll be handed off to a Celebrity person who will roll him right to the cabin.  I have a $5 for each pusher.  Same in reverse disembarking.

• Like 1

The weakest part of the assistance program is getting one when you arrive at the port. I have had to run ahead and grab a chair. We use Park N Go and when they drop us off with the porters... the last cruise... I told the porter we needed a wheelchair.. and he quickly located one of the port employees with a  chair. If I recall at Ft Lauderdale.. I believe there was a bench near the porters... so in a pinch..one earlier trip I had my husband sit there while I went for help.  As I say.. this is the weakest spot in the process. Once you get a chair..the port personnel will take him all the way through check in to the gate and from there a crew member will take him onto the ship. I generally tip both... 

At the end of the cruise... those needing assistance getting off..meet in Sushi on 5 on S class and they will again take you off when your bad number is called. Once again a crew member will take you part way and a port person will take you the rest of the way. Another weakness in the system in. Ft Lauderdale... is that you will be taken down an elevator and you often have to sit and wait for quite a while until someone is available to take you down. I offered to do that for DH, but they wouldn't allow it unless I owned the wheelchair... liability issues...union rules..not sure which. But they will take you all the way through customs and to the outside. Now I do not know how long they will stay with you until say an uber driver shows..but they will get you outside. Makes sure guest services knows you need assistance getting off the ship..  I think they keep a list and staff accordingly.

I see you plan on renting a scooter. A few thoughts: if you are not in an accessible cabin...try to get one with the bed by the window/veranda... that way there is more room to park the scooter in the cabin. Also.. when you arrive at your cabin the scooter will be either in the cabin or just outside. On the last sea day, I would ask the room steward if you can get a wheelchair... this way you can more easily leave the scooter in the cabin and get your father down to sushi on 5.  DH started using a scooter a few years ago after partially successful surgery to reattach his quad muscle... it has made a world of difference.

• Like 1

Adding to Kearney's thoughts, we've had to wait on embarkation for a wheelchair,  usually leaning against a column, because the benches are full. Once, in the heat,  I gave up waiting and went in and found a wheelchair.  I pushed for awhile,  and then someone became available.   

On disembarkation,  you can ask if a pusher would meet you in Luminae or the Retreat if that is more convenient.  I get my mom to breakfast in the rented wheelchair,  then I take it back to her cabin for collection.  This has worked well 90% of the time.  

• Like 1

Thank you all for the information. This is great information. Especially about having the use of a wheelchair on disembarkation day. I had not thought about the fact that we have to leave the scooter in the room. 😀

thanks again. It is greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Mlcb1 said:

Thank you all for the information. This is great information. Especially about having the use of a wheelchair on disembarkation day. I had not thought about the fact that we have to leave the scooter in the room. 😀

Remember there are other things that can make life a bit easier for him too. For example, I requested a stool for the shower post surgery. Not only was it useful in the shower I was able to sit down to clean my teeth to! 

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Mlcb1 said:

Funny story about a cruise we did on Harmony of the Seas... on the last day we went down to get coffee... I went back to the room to get our carry on bags. The plan was for DH to bring back the scooter to the room.. before we were heading down to the place to catch a wheel chair... While I was gone and DH was enjoying his last cup of coffee...someone took the scooter. So when DH was ready to go back to the cabin...he noticed that it was gone... Well we panicked for a moment until I was able to talk to a member of the crew who told us that it was likely just gathered up by the rental company. However I was still a tad nervous until I was able to confirm later that this was what happened...

1 hour ago, kearney said:

Funny story about a cruise we did on Harmony of the Seas... on the last day we went down to get coffee... I went back to the room to get our carry on bags. The plan was for DH to bring back the scooter to the room.. before we were heading down to the place to catch a wheel chair... While I was gone and DH was enjoying his last cup of coffee...someone took the scooter. So when DH was ready to go back to the cabin...he noticed that it was gone... Well we panicked for a moment until I was able to talk to a member of the crew who told us that it was likely just gathered up by the rental company. However I was still a tad nervous until I was able to confirm later that this was what happened...

I would have panicked also!  Glad it worked out in the end. 😀