Using ‘Cruise with Confidence’ program to cancel and rebook the same cruise?

Has anyone done this?

The Cruise with Confidence program states, “For sailings booked by March 31, 2022 that depart by September 30, 2022, you can cancel up to 48 hours before your sail date and get the full paid value in a Future Cruise Credit. You can use the credit for any sailing that departs within a year of your original sail date, or by December 31, 2022, whichever is longer. The options are nearly endless.”

My cruise fits all of these qualifications. All I have paid so far is my deposit for both staterooms. I just got a new Amex credit card that offers 2x points if I book through them.  (Not to mention the fare is about $20 less per person.) I am wanting to cancel my original reservation, send my 2 deposits to a Future Cruise Credit, then rebook through Amex, and apply the FCC to the new reservation. I won’t get my 2x points on my deposit amount, but I could get the balance of my cruise with 2x points.  (I have done a phantom booking to make sure more staterooms are available in the same category I’m needing.)

I think this works on paper from everything I have read, but I wanted to see if anyone has done this with success? Before proceeding I will also call RCC to verify that my booking is eligible. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, texasweather said:

I am wanting to cancel my original reservation, send my 2 deposits to a Future Cruise Credit, then rebook through Amex, and apply the FCC to the new reservation.

The original CWC prohibited using the FCC on the sailing from which it was cancelled - not sure that has changed.

• Like 1

Couldn’t you just call Royal and change the credit card on file before final payment? Wouldn’t this be a lot simpler and have the same effect? Your remaining balance would go on your Amex but your deposits would not. 🤔

• Like 3

Just now, Mrcar09 said:

Couldn’t you just call Royal and change the credit card on file before final payment? Wouldn’t this be a lot simpler and have the same effect? Your remaining balance would go on your Amex but your deposits would not. 🤔

And reprice while on the phone with them to get the $20/person rate difference. 

2 hours ago, Mrcar09 said:

Do you even need to do that? When it came time to make final payment on my cruise I simply entered the credit card information that I wanted it charged to. It made no difference which card I charged the deposit to.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the input!  In order to get the 2x rewards, it has to be booked through Amex's website.  Just using the card to pay for it won't give the 2x.  Oh well, I think it sounds too complicated to cancel and re-book, I'll just leave it as is this time around.