Giving up a balcony.....what to do??

TanyaTravels

My last cruise (and the only cruise) I was on I had a balcony and I loved it. My husband was not with me on the cruise in January....he did not think he would love cruising. Since I went and LOVED it he is now ready to go.

I have convinced hubby to go on a Carribean in April but could save alot of money by booking an outside vs. a balcony cabin.

Has anyone gone back to an outside after having a balcony????

You'll find many folks who will tell you that they will absolutely not cruise w/o a balcony. We were fortunate enough to be upgraded to a balcony 3 cruises ago and will admit we did enjoy it, but on HAL on a 7 day cruise, the cost of a balcony for the two of us is about $600-700 more than an outside.

For us that is not worth it. We don't spend all that much time in our cabin and didn't spend ALL that much more time in it when we had a balcony. Our shipboard tab for a week is generally in that same $600-700 price range, so I figure by foregoing the balcony we have paid the onboard tab and thus can afford to cruise more often.

Ultimately it comes down to how you want to spend your money. The other factor to consider is that depending on what line you are considering, the difference between an outside and a balcony is often not as much as HAL gets.

We have never cruised without a balcony, so cannot make the comparison. My wife likes to be able to open the door and get fresh air. Unlike the above poster, we spend a lot of time in the room, mainly on the balcony and love having breakfast there. It depends whrer you are going. WIll you be at sea, away from land with nothing to see like a transaltlantic cruise, or within sight of land like an Alaska cruise?

It boils down to your own preferneces - think back to your cruise - did you use the balcony? A lot? How would you do things differently with your husband than you did with your friend?

Whatever you do, have a great cruise and hope your husband enjoys it as much as you did!

Do you think you had an enjoyable first cruise and the balcony helped enhance that experience? Since this is your DH first cruise you might find his experience the same.

On our first and only cruise we had a balcony and relaxing in the quiet was very nice for us. When I was making our next booking there was no doubt we both wanted the balcony. Would I sail with out a balcony? Probably, if I was looking for a last minute get away and wanted to do it as inexpensively as possible. For our regular vacation I want as much special treatment as possible.

Good luck and have fun on whatever you decide.

We had an inside our 1st cruise , it was fine...

but the last 2 weve had a balcony,,

only because we love the fresh air and we are smokers..

we always book an inside 1st and then if the budget allows we upgrade....to a balcony.i would be happy with anything as long as we were going....

theres always decks to go stand on for air :D

you could always hope for an upsell or upgrade from the cruisline....

Never!!! You can't make me! ( insert Darth Vaders voice here), Come to the Balcony side Luke. Not going to happen, no way. Once you've had balcony you'll never go back, at least I won't. I think you get the picture. I found the trick to saving $ on a balcony is to book early. I booked our Jan. '07 cruise @ 6 weeks ago and the price has already gone up $50.00 / person. So I've already saved $100.00, go me. It's nice having that extra "room".

This will be our first cruise and after looking into the costs, etc. I decided we could have a balcony on Carnival for the same price as an inside on other lines. Being our first one, I thought we probably won't know the differences in the lines and we will have a wonderful time no matter what!

Having a balcony is important to dh because he just likes to unwind and relax (just coming off of calving season and 80 hour work weeks for 5 months).

I figure the trade off will be worth it for us!

We've had plenty of both. I would only book a balcony if the price was right. For us, we've only paid about $50 pp (if that) for a nice balcony since we've been Diamond status. If not, I would take the money and have fun with it. I sure wouldn't pay $700 for an upgrade. That's crazy. Frankly, it's a big money maker for the cruiselines now. They are pretty small. Don't get me wrong, I love them, but paying a lot of money for one, no way. Gimmeee the money and I'll pick up some nice jewelry in port.

i do the cost compaison as well. if the difference in cost for the balcony will pay for a nice tour or a great souvenier from the ports i can be very happy in a inside cabin. i also think of the savings as '' i paid for the hotel room with that extra money'' or '' it paid for the transportation to and from the ship ''. as mentioned above, i am not in the cabin that much and there are plenty of places to set and see the outside world a short walk from your cabin to a deck with all the windows. turn on the tv in the cabin to the station that shows the camera at the front of the ship and you can see what the weather is like before you leave the cabin when you wake up. for me a balcony is great but not a '' absolute neccesity ''.

just to clear up some confusion - the cost for a balcony on HAL is roughly $600-700 TOTAL for the 2 of us, not each. And while I respect the opinions of those who won't go w/o one, for us it isn't worth it..

then again, I drink knob creek rather than ten high.. NOW you're talkin about the important things in life.. *S*

The cost difference is $800 on the spcific Princess cruise we are looking at in April.

I think we may go with the outside cabin, $800 could be our bill at the end of the cruise anyway!!! We are planning to go to the Bahamas for a week after the cruise so need to save where we can.

We have had inside, outside and a balcony. For me, I would save that $600-$700. That would just about pay for one person's charge for another cruise! Go up top and enjoy the outside with the other people. You see your DH every day! Yes, it is romantic, yes, it is nice to hang out there, but . . .

Have a great cruise, no matter what you decide to do.

I have yet to have a balcony so am going by what some friends who have cruised a lot say--and I think I've read the same advice on one of these threads. If you're on a port intensive cruise the cost of a balcony is questionable. If you're on a cruise with lots of sea days a balcony is a big plus.

With that in mind we first had booked a balcony for our transatlantic cruise next fall but have now upgraded to a JS.

At this point in our lives, we need a balcony. Why? Because we have two girls who're not -- in our opinion -- old enough to be in a separate cabin, not even an adjoining cabin. Having a balcony essentially "doubles" our cabin space much less expensively than a suite. It gives us a space to have some adult time. It gives dad a place to disappear to while the girls are dressing.

In the future, we will probably go with inside rooms or oceanviews so that we can cruise more often. If I were going with a non-balcony for just myself and my husband, I'd probably choose the promenade rooms on the Voyager classes.

I just can't see the point to spending the extra money....but that's just me. The way I look at it is $700 is another cruise! I don't spend much time in my room anyway...if I want breakfast outside, I'll go upstairs and have it.....and it won't cost me $700.

I will however pay the extra $30 per person for an atrium view vs inside on RCI Voyager class ships.....I just love those rooms :) I will have my third atrium view room in May :)

Jen

Adventure of the Seas….. 68 days and counting!

Jewel of the Seas 2005

Explorer of the Seas 2004

Voyager of the Seas 2002

Monarch of the Seas 1994

I just can't see the point to spending the extra money....but that's just me. The way I look at it is $700 is another cruise! I don't spend much time in my room anyway...if I want breakfast outside, I'll go upstairs and have it.....and it won't cost me $700.

I will however pay the extra $30 per person for an atrium view vs inside on RCI Voyager class ships.....I just love those rooms :) I will have my third atrium view room in May :)

Jen

Adventure of the Seas….. 68 days and counting!

Jewel of the Seas 2005

Explorer of the Seas 2004

Voyager of the Seas 2002

Monarch of the Seas 1994

jen, these cabins sound great. and for just $30 more. i saw them on the special they had about cruise ships on the travel channel. it looked like a great cabin to have. have a great cruise :)

I think it all depends on what you see as value. We've had a balcony before, it was nice, but not a deal breaker for us. We love to cruise and can do so more often if we save money by booking an inside, or more likely, an outside cabin. If a balcony is $600 more for the week, forget it, there is a great big balcony upstairs. But, if we can find a good deal within our budget, then we go for it.

Our next 7 day cruise, we booked a JS aft cabin for the 4 of us cheaper than we could book 2 inside, bottom of the barrel cabins on another line. We'll put up with the teens in our cabin for the opportunity to enjoy the aft location. The typical balconies are no larger than a ledge with 2 chairs and a small table, not large enough to warrant the extra charge. So, we all have our own perceived value.

What would be ideal, for us, is an ocean view with the capability to open the window. Now, those would sell like hotcakes!

Hi,:) the question is a good one and does not have a right or wrong

answer. Everyone who has replied has given you their own experiences

and reasons and we all have different budgets as well.

I have sailed inside, outside and balcony as well. Normally I sail

solo and to be totally honest, I cannot afford a balcony. The 2 sailings

I did have them were on specials. I never look for them and am just

glad to be on the ship. I know alot of folks think that is a stupid reply,

but for me, it is the truth. Both times I had balconies I rarely used

them.

So I just don't stay in my cabin. I had people tell me after that

first balcony I would never go back to an inside...that is not true.

I have found cruising to be the vacation in the world and if booking

an inside or window puts me on more cruises that is AOK with me:D

Jen, I totally agree with your comments too. I am just one of those

people, even when I did have a balcony I just didn't use it much.

I would rather be out and about...but that is just me as well!

My last cruise (and the only cruise) I was on I had a balcony and I loved it. My husband was not with me on the cruise in January....he did not think he would love cruising. Since I went and LOVED it he is now ready to go.

I have convinced hubby to go on a Carribean in April but could save alot of money by booking an outside vs. a balcony cabin.

Has anyone gone back to an outside after having a balcony????

No.

But a balcony is only worth the extra money if you make use of it. For us, we do. It's as much a part of our cruising experience as any other ship amenity. We breakfast on it each morning, we have pre dinner cocktails on it in the evening. When we want quiet time away from the crowds we have a balcony to go to.

If you select your cruise early the price is very reasonable. If not, sometimes you can catch a decent deal waiting until last minute. You'll have very little cabin selection left, but sometimes they'll reduce the rate a bit - though I always seem to make out better price wise by booking very early.

Archived