'Sail away, your way'

Bgees

On the Iona again 2nd April and have received the 5 days to go email. One thing I noticed was the section about the 'Sail away, your way'.

I don't remember this being mentioned in October. In fact. I don't remember there being any sail away events on board. Possible change due to relaxation of Covid rules or did I just miss it last time? (A real possibility...)

As we set sail, we like to mark the moment with Sail away, your way… your chance to take in the lovely views and celebrate your holiday, your way. Whatever your musical tastes we’ve got something to suit your mood with four unique Sail aways: Serene, Stylish, Spirit and Spontaneous. From chilled spaces and acoustic sounds, to a music list curated to suit the backdrop on deck, you’ll find these offered in different venues across the ship. Or perhaps you prefer a quiet moment of reflection from the comfort of your cabin? Whatever you choose, our new options are created especially for the well-being of all on board, so you can find your perfect Sail away.

Gosh that just sounds to me like they are going to have music playing in different venue but no organised sail away. I mean there is music playing in venues around the ship anyway so no different from a normal day. Perhaps that was just written in response to everyone asking about sailaways. 

2 hours ago, Bgees said:

On the Iona again 2nd April and have received the 5 days to go email. One thing I noticed was the section about the 'Sail away, your way'.

I don't remember this being mentioned in October. In fact. I don't remember there being any sail away events on board. Possible change due to relaxation of Covid rules or did I just miss it last time? (A real possibility...)

As we set sail, we like to mark the moment with Sail away, your way… your chance to take in the lovely views and celebrate your holiday, your way. Whatever your musical tastes we’ve got something to suit your mood with four unique Sail aways: Serene, Stylish, Spirit and Spontaneous. From chilled spaces and acoustic sounds, to a music list curated to suit the backdrop on deck, you’ll find these offered in different venues across the ship. Or perhaps you prefer a quiet moment of reflection from the comfort of your cabin? Whatever you choose, our new options are created especially for the well-being of all on board, so you can find your perfect Sail away.

This has been in place since the first short staycations last year for the restart. 

Here's a screengrab for the Iona maiden sail away from the Horizon.

Screenshot 2022-03-28 153117.jpg

55 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

This has been in place since the first short staycations last year for the restart. 

Thanks for posting but what a load of marketing-speak twaddle...

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Monorail Orange said:

Geez that sounds very cringey. At least in that naff-PR speak.

Then again, it fits with Iona - it comes across to me that they're trying too hard to make her 'hip 'n' trendy' whenever they can.

I would just add, this was also the same on Britannia when we were on her last year prior to Iona's maiden, and as far as I know will happen on board Britannia on our upcoming Easter cruises.

47 minutes ago, jaydee6969 said:

I would just add, this was also the same on Britannia when we were on her last year prior to Iona's maiden, and as far as I know will happen on board Britannia on our upcoming Easter cruises.

Presumably won't be quite the same on the two smaller ships 🤞🏻

At the risk of being controversial, I think it’s quite a good idea 😂

We avoid the normal sail-always like the plague, but could be tempted with something a bit different, especially if it doesn’t involve singalongs or flag waving 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I agree.

When I started sailing with P&O in the 1990s organised  "sail aways" did not usually happen, apart from Southampton where a band played on the Quayside and we had streamers to throw as we sailed out. A few years later the great British sailaway arrived, initially as a one off to show support for the people of Gibraltar in their fight to stay British. Then someone at P&O realised that there was money to be made by encouraging passengers to gather on the open decks and consume drinks from the bar........

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaydee6969 said:

I think they’ve missed one S out. 

SAIL AWAY YOUR WAY - SOZZLED

Sozzled offers a private spot for you to consume the crates of wine you’ve lugged on board, in the seclusion of your own cabin.

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, Denarius said:

I agree.

When I started sailing with P&O in the 1990s organised  "sail aways" did not usually happen, apart from Southampton where a band played on the Quayside and we had streamers to throw as we sailed out. A few years later the great British sailaway arrived, initially as a one off to show support for the people of Gibraltar in their fight to stay British. Then someone at P&O realised that there was money to be made by encouraging passengers to gather on the open decks and consume drinks from the bar........

We remember the large brass band on the quayside and the streamers when we first departed Southampton on our first cruise with P&O in 1996. A special moment that we’ve never forgotten. The streamers soon disappeared and the brass bands got smaller and smaller until they vanished as well. Now the ship just leaves Southampton without most people even being aware until they see the scenery moving outside!. Leaving a port mid-cruise isn’t quite the same thing somehow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

We avoid the normal sail-always like the plague, but could be tempted with something a bit different, especially if it doesn’t involve singalongs or flag waving 😂 

Don't disagree at all that it is a good idea for the larger ships with lots of venues. Just over-hyped copy as usual. The last time I sailed away from Southampton on Aurora it was still relatively traditional, with music on the aft decks (no flag-waving or embarrassing songs) and waiters along the Promenade selling glasses of bubbly. Whilst it is no longer the occasion it was, I still enjoy hearing the announcement from the bridge explaining that all the pre-departure checks have been completed and we are about to slip our lines. I'm usually to be found on the Promenade, leaning over the ship's rail watching all the departure activity on the quayside. I do hope they will continue in the same vein on the smaller ships.

• Like 2

Totally agree with you Britboys - a little recognition of departing makes the start of the journey seem a little more special. I'm also not one for artificial singing and flag-waving (we're not leaving for a foreign war) but like the feeling of being with others who are also taking the same journey aboard the ship. A glass of something while watching the coast moving past is nice to do.

• Like 3