Short Break Arcadia

paulatsea

30 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

We’ve only been to Guernsey once on a cruise (as part of a Baltic cruise on Oriana, for some bizarre reason) and luckily the tenders were able to operate. However, there was a thread on here a few years ago about this subject and it appeared that a sizeable proportion of planned calls here were cancelled. Whilst Guernsey is pleasant, it’s a shame that cruise ships can’t get into Jersey, which is much nicer IMHO. 

Aww don’t say that, we’re going to Guernsey for 4 nights in June by condor ferry! We’ve been before, I’m just hoping it’s lovely and sunny.

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

Aww don’t say that, we’re going to Guernsey for 4 nights in June by condor ferry! We’ve been before, I’m just hoping it’s lovely and sunny.

Don’t get me wrong. Guernsey is very nice. It’s just that we prefer Jersey. Lots more to see and do. As I’ve said, it’s a great shame that cruise ships can’t get there. There’s an ‘Island Hopper’ air service between the islands which is quite an experience. Very small aircraft where you sit right behind the pilot, who turns around to give the pre-flight briefing 😂 

• Haha 2

We did the WW2 Occupation trip once and it was brilliant. The underground Hospital was a real eye-opener. 
We’ve been lucky - managed to get ashore on all 3 stops there. We arranged to meet a former neighbour there once which was great. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Don’t get me wrong. Guernsey is very nice. It’s just that we prefer Jersey. Lots more to see and do. As I’ve said, it’s a great shame that cruise ships can’t get there. There’s an ‘Island Hopper’ air service between the islands which is quite an experience. Very small aircraft where you sit right behind the pilot, who turns around to give the pre-flight briefing 😂 

The last sentence makes me feel queasy!  Funnily enough it was a flight to Jersey that put me off flying! 
Our Condor ferry stops at Guernsey first and then goes onto Jersey - sounds more civilised! 

I really want to do the WW2 Occupation trip as would love to visit the underground hospital, however, my husband as a fear of coach trips after a bad experience a few years ago, can anybody who’s previously done this trip please advise me on what the coach trip is like, are there any hairpin bends or steep drops at the edge of the road, does the coach go over any long high bridges. He suffers really badly with anxiety which was made worse after an excursion whilst in Ville Franche which resulted in us getting the train back , any help appreciated.

46 minutes ago, Stokie33 said:

I really want to do the WW2 Occupation trip as would love to visit the underground hospital, however, my husband as a fear of coach trips after a bad experience a few years ago, can anybody who’s previously done this trip please advise me on what the coach trip is like, are there any hairpin bends or steep drops at the edge of the road, does the coach go over any long high bridges. He suffers really badly with anxiety which was made worse after an excursion whilst in Ville Franche which resulted in us getting the train back , any help appreciated.

I don’t recall any steep drops, but don’t take my word for it! I think the first part was a trip around the island, visiting some gun emplacements and a stop for refreshments at the Pearl of Guernsey. Then to the Underground Hospital. I suffer from mild claustrophobia but I was fine - you can make your own way out at any time and it’s not really ‘underground’, just walk in. The last stop was the  Military Museum - again it’s advertised as underground, but it’s walk in. Remember, they’re small buses and can easily cope with the narrow roads. It’s nothing like the hairpin bends in Norway! And no long bridges in Guernsey! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stokie33 said:

We went to the hospital on the local bus.  I think it was £1 or £2 each, each way, with a short walk from the bus stop.  About 7 or 8 years ago, so I would expect the price to be a bit more now.  Don't recall any bridges or steep drops.  Might have been a couple of tightish bends, but this was due to the roads being narrow in places.

We are booked on this cruise as well on early saver fare balcony.  Will be interested to know what we are allocated. At present we have Aurora 19 nights in August (if we go!) and 16 nights Xmas/New Year, and 19 nights Arcadia next year. Looking to see how it all works out! with the current covid situation. My husband has already had covid and being vulnerable he coped very well just a cold he said! I am also vulnerable and had my fourth vaccine so a little apprehensive of going, but we have done over 30 various cruises mostly P&O and since seen many changes over the years!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We went to the hospital on the local bus.  I think it was £1 or £2 each, each way, with a short walk from the bus stop.  About 7 or 8 years ago, so I would expect the price to be a bit more now.  Don't recall any bridges or steep drops.  Might have been a couple of tightish bends, but this was due to the roads being narrow in places.

We did this as well, just the tour but very good value!

On 3/29/2022 at 9:38 AM, P&O SUE said:

I'm sure you will love Guernsey and the ferry is fine. There is no option for large ships to berth on Guernsey and shallow waters and rocks don't help. The currents can also be quite strong, which is why it is hit and miss for tendering. I've managed to get ashore half of the cruise calls I've made. Your Condor Ferry will be fine as, hopefully, will the weather...

• Like 1

On 3/29/2022 at 10:43 AM, Selbourne said:

Rumour also has it that Jersey really doesn't want large cruise ships anyway...

On 3/30/2022 at 10:37 PM, Britboys said:

Rumour also has it that Jersey really doesn't want large cruise ships anyway...

It's not that, it's due to the tide and how much it dries out meaning the tender ride is very long. MSC Orchestra tried it I believe a few years ago (pre COVID) and found the tend ride too long and chnahed to Guernsey (I believe that was what happened) but anyway, only smaller ships with shallow drafts can use Jersey unlike Guernsey where they is a deep water anchorage, that doesn't exist in Jersey. They would benefit highly from the big ships and St Aubin's bay where they anchor is much more sheltered than Guernsey. 

• Thanks 1