Formal night on a 7 day cruise

nyold

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it on the search page. On a 7 day cruise with Zaandam, do you know when the formal night would be? Even an approximation is ok. We would like to reserve one night on the Pinnacle Grill, but we want to make sure we're in the MDR on the formal night (to participate in the festivities, and also not to miss out on the good food ^_^), so if we know which night to NOT do Pinnacle that would we awesome.

Oh thank you. So is there one night where the MDR offers better food than others? This will be my first HAL cruise, but on RC usually there is a "lobster" night on the MDR, so that's why we don't want to miss that.

They are called 'Gala Night' now, and although the suggested dress is more formal, the requirement to dress formally is no longer there. There are two Gala Nights on a 7-day cruise. 

Usually, depending on itinerary and length of stay in ports, the Gala Nights are the second night aboard, and night before the last one on board. 
Without knowing your itinerary I can't be more specific about when your Gala Nights will be. 

• Like 1

It is this:

Sat, June 4, 2022 Montreal, QC, Canada -- 5:00 pm
Sun, June 5, 2022 Quebec City, QC, Canada 7:00 am 5:00 pm
Mon, June 6, 2022 Fun Day at Sea -- --
Tue, June 7, 2022 Charlottetown, Canada 8:00 am 5:00 pm
Wed, June 8, 2022 Sydney 8:00 am 5:00 pm
Thu, June 9, 2022 Halifax, NS, Canada 8:00 am 4:00 pm
Fri, June 10, 2022 Bar Harbor, Maine 7:00 am 5:00 pm
Sat, June 11, 2022 Boston, Massachusetts 7:00 am --

The "popup" night from Pinnacle to Rudi Sel de Mer is June 8th. So I'm thinking to do it on June 6th since we'd be bored after a whole day at sea and we can have an early dinner (and 2nd servings at the buffet 😆)

No formal nights but 2 "gala" dinners in MDR. If your cruise begins on Sunday, for example, the gala nights are usually Tuesday and Friday. Tuesday is the second full day of the cruise; Friday is the next-to-last full day. I guess it is probably the same calculation if you leave on another day. (Others: correct me if I'm wrong. I'm not great at counting.)

• Like 1

It's always up to the Hotel Director.  I have had different gala nights on identical itineraries.  Sea days tend to be preferred for Gala nights if they align with the itinerary.  They will not typically fall on nights when the ship will be leaving port late or overnights.

The only 'knowns' are that gala nights will never be the first night nor the last night. 

Also, dining reservations folks on board are extremely helpful about moving reservations if you happen to have booked on a night that turns out to be a gala night.  

• Like 2

The last lobster I had on a cruise ship was dinky and over cooked.  Now they want to upsell you the good lobster in addition to your regular dinner.  Gala (aka formal) nights are not what they used to be. I don't think you need to stress about missing out on a big juicy lobster. 😉

• Thanks 1

@nyold On your fun sea day , you will be sailing through the Gulf of St Lawrence.  We enjoyed being able to see the sights on both sides of the waterway. It really was one of the most interesting parts of our journey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

The last lobster I had on a cruise ship was dinky and over cooked.  Now they want to upsell you the good lobster in addition to your regular dinner.  Gala (aka formal) nights are not what they used to be. I don't think you need to stress about missing out on a big juicy lobster. 😉

The only lobster you will see on a hal cruise is if you pay for it.  It might be available for free on a longer cruise.

• Like 1