Handicapped accessible cabin/ Scooter question on Summit

cruiser61262

Could someone possibly share a photo of where they charged their scooter in a standard handicap accessible veranda cabin on the Summit or any M class ship.

My mom is fretting about being able to charge her scooter and having enough room in her cabin.  Thank you

If she is in an accessible cabin it should have plenty of room.. it is designed to handle wheelchairs.. so a scooter should be no problem... I found a video for a cabin on Connie which is also an M class ship video of accessible cabin on Connie...same class as summit

If she is in a regular cabin that could be a problem because I believe the beds are by the bathroom...making it a bit tight to pull a scooter into the room. I am told that if you have one of these cabins..the steward can take your scooter and charge it overnight... We have not sailed on an M class... we usually are on S class and use a regular cabin with bed by the veranda..it is a bit tight..but manageable...

Edited by kearney

1 hour ago, kearney said:

If she is in an accessible cabin it should have plenty of room.. it is designed to handle wheelchairs.. so a scooter should be no problem... I found a video for a cabin on Connie which is also an M class ship video of accessible cabin on Connie...same class as summit

If she is in a regular cabin that could be a problem because I believe the beds are by the bathroom...making it a bit tight to pull a scooter into the room. I am told that if you have one of these cabins..the steward can take your scooter and charge it overnight... We have not sailed on an M class... we usually are on S class and use a regular cabin with bed by the veranda..it is a bit tight..but manageable...

Thank you!  I have seen that video.  Unfortunately, I wish that had shown the actual entrance into the room so that we could get an idea of turning radius.  She is in room 7143 which is an accessible room. It is larger than the standard room.  This is her first cruise since my Dad passed away and he used to take care of things like this for her.  She just worries about EVERYTHING, so I was hoping to show her a picture of how other people parked/charged their scooters to put her at ease.

1 hour ago, cruiser61262 said:

Thank you!  I have seen that video.  Unfortunately, I wish that had shown the actual entrance into the room so that we could get an idea of turning radius.  She is in room 7143 which is an accessible room. It is larger than the standard room.  This is her first cruise since my Dad passed away and he used to take care of things like this for her.  She just worries about EVERYTHING, so I was hoping to show her a picture of how other people parked/charged their scooters to put her at ease.

I understand... I am a bit of a belt and suspenders person... now that my husband needs the scooter... I am always trying to think ahead of exactly what to expect so that there are no surprises... a do not handle stress that well...so the more I can anticipate things the better... 

• Like 1

I use a scooter on every cruise and ALWAYS get a handicapped cabin. I have taken over 50 cruises. One time, about 6 years ago, I made a mistake and got a regular cabin, my scooter didn’t fit in the cabin. I asked guest services if I could put my scooter somewhere over night and was told they couldn’t put it any where but in my cabin. I had to park it in my bathroom, which I couldn’t use when the scooter was in the bathroom. On cruise line websites it states wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, etc., must be in the passengers rooms. In a handicapped cabin there is a plug on the wall right by the bathroom door. You can turn your scooter around by the bed. In a standard cabin there isn’t any room to turn your scooter around. Hope this helps. Candie

In the past, we have had both 7141 & 7141, and in June we have 7137 - all are the same(pre renovation ). In May of 23 we have 7141 again,  my wife’s wheelchair is a full size and easily able to turn around near the bathroom. 
On our two cruise in fall of 2019(pre & post renovation) we had cabin 9146, accessible Aqua, and there was not an electronic door opener; maybe someone knows if the other cabins had it installed, very difficult to exit cabin.

Hal

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HS2BS said:

In the past, we have had both 7141 & 7141, and in June we have 7137 - all are the same(pre renovation ). In May of 23 we have 7141 again,  my wife’s wheelchair is a full size and easily able to turn around near the bathroom. 
On our two cruise in fall of 2019(pre & post renovation) we had cabin 9146, accessible Aqua, and there was not an electronic door opener; maybe someone knows if the other cabins had it installed, very difficult to exit cabin.

Hal

We were in an Accessible Sky Suite on Millennium in October.   There wasn't an electronic door.    We didn't request and accessible but were given one as a move-up a couple days prior to the cruise.   There was a large area by the front door and the veranda was accessible with a ramp.

I correct myself, the accessible cabin in Aqua is 9164(middle aft on deck 9) not 9146. Jim, I followed your review when you were on and you did a great job! 
The missing electronic door does make it difficult to get into or out of the cabin without help. Why Celebrity “cheaper out” on the door during renovations doesn’t make it any more convenient for people with disabilities.

Hal

As each renovation occurs on any cruise line, the amount of handicapped rooms seems to decline and the ease of the room seems to decline too. No offense to anyone else but I feel we are forgotten, not just on cruise ships, but every where. Candie