Celebrity vs Royal Caribbean

OCVTSGIRL

Like so many people here have said, it really depends for us. When it's just hubby and I we prefer Celebrity for the ambiance, the food, the overall upscale elegance. I'd say it's more restful, but our last Celebrity cruise was port intensive with maybe one sea day? That was not my idea of restful! Even if it was absolutely spectacular. Next time I do that kind of itinerary, I'll definitely shoot for a couple of sea days.

We took twelve of us out of NY on Anthem this past November. It was the Anthem's first sailing back in the US after the shutdown and it was a bit rocky. But it really was perfect for us. There was always something for everyone. I haven't yet been on an Edge class ship, hoping to go for my 60th in a few years, but the entertainment on Harmony of the seas was astounding. I think the Aqua theater is, so far, the best show I've seen at sea. But, having said that, Oasis class ships are huge. I think of the ship as the destination, not the ports. But the young adults loved everything on board.

Royal is go-go-go and has activities and entertainment all the time. It can be loud and hectic, although the Solarium is my go-to and it's always peaceful.

I think you can't go wrong on either, but the experience is different.

Edited by 2Long2NxtCrz
typos

We have only ever sailed on Royal though pre pandemic we had decided we would prefer a quieter environment and planned a Celebrity cruise but after one medical emergency and two cancelled due to covid everything was delayed.

This past November we took a last minute 3 or 4 day cruise on Royal as I had some time off and this what fit my schedule.  That was enough to remind us why we sought out Celebrity and would probably be the last time we scheduled for ourselves on Royal! And honestly it's more about the fellow passengers than RCCL, though they do not enforce the rules as they should or use to. 

We just got off of our first Celebrity cruise this past Sunday and we LOVE IT! 

The ship, the atmosphere, the dining choices, the more mature passengers, no theme park. And they had me at "Sir, I'd like to remind you that shorts are only allowed in the dining room on the first and last nights."  Ha!!  

Of course right now with sailing at 50 to 60 % capacity is a huge treat.  Not a crowded spot anywhere and plenty of deck chairs to go around! 

It was very refreshing to see manners and etiquette in place and not ONE selfie stick in sight.

• Like 1

Its real simple - RCCL's primary market is families, and they cater their offerings to them.  Celebrity's primary market is adults, and they cater their offerings to them. 

Celebrity is also considered a more premium, or luxury, line than RCCL and now offers most of their pricing as Always, which is inclusive of gratuities, wifi, and standard beverage package.

The two loyalty programs are reciprocal in that your tier status benefits on one allows the similar tier benefits when sailing on the other.  The levels are "capped" in that Diamond, Diamond+,  and Pinnacle on RCCL= Elite on Celebrity; and Élite, Elite Plus, and Zenith = Diamond on RCCL.  The first reciprocal tier levels are Platinum & Select. Points are not shared and points earned on each remain with each loyalty club's accounts.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

On 3/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, OCVTSGIRL said:

I am a Royal Caribbean Diamond member who hasn't sailed a Celebrity ship in a really long time.  I was wondering if anyone has sailed on both and how they compare.  I'm pretty sure my Diamond status will be accepted on a Celebrity ship but I don't know how beneficial that is.  Looking to sail out of Cape Liberty in NJ.  Thanks...any thoughts and/or experiences are greatly appreciated.

also Diamond and have been sailing more Celebrity lately.  Agree with the various posting above.  To me, RCL says "Caribbean" (kids, fun, sun, party) while Celebrity says  "Europe" (adults, culture, less rug-rats.)  Although on the last X cruise we did (pre-covid) someone's little four legged fur baby took a poop at an elevator door....... so there can be excitement on Celebrity 😅