First Cruise - Alaska!

nursinadream

Hubby and I will do our first Oceania cruise this summer in Alaska first week in July.  Who's cruised these waters?  Would like to know about the 3 sea days; Inside and Outside Passage and Hubbard Glacier.  No balcony for us so we'll be on deck for viewing.  Are these the days for fleece and rain gear, in general?  A few friends reported they pulled out shorts and T shirts to be on deck on occasion.  No matter, we'll be ready for lots of new experiences.

When I browse at the Alaska cruises it shows a lot of available cabins (PH, OS, etc are all waitlisted).  Is that accurate?  Do I assume it will not be a full ship?  Or maybe lots of last minute shoppers grab these cabins?

I have learned a lot here on CC.  Happy to report that by using a TA we scored a $250 each toward our Final Payment.  Totally unexpected.

Thanks for reading.

Deb

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nursinadream said:

Hubby and I will do our first Oceania cruise this summer in Alaska first week in July.  Who's cruised these waters?  Would like to know about the 3 sea days; Inside and Outside Passage and Hubbard Glacier.  No balcony for us so we'll be on deck for viewing.  Are these the days for fleece and rain gear, in general?  A few friends reported they pulled out shorts and T shirts to be on deck on occasion.  No matter, we'll be ready for lots of new experiences.

When I browse at the Alaska cruises it shows a lot of available cabins (PH, OS, etc are all waitlisted).  Is that accurate?  Do I assume it will not be a full ship?  Or maybe lots of last minute shoppers grab these cabins?

I have learned a lot here on CC.  Happy to report that by using a TA we scored a $250 each toward our Final Payment.  Totally unexpected.

Thanks for reading.

Deb

We have sailed to Alaska several times and weather can be variable anytime in the summer.  You definitely should pack layers.  We often have had blue sky and sunshine where short sleeve shirts were necessary.  If the weather is rainy and windy during a sea day,  there are many wonderful indoor areas for viewing - particularly Horizons!

You will have a great time on O in Alaska!

• Like 3

Presumably you are on the 10-day itinerary, given your stops.  There are always tradeoff with Alaska, as there are lots of ships to fit in during the summer.  The "inside passage" term gets thrown around a lot, but nearly all sailings from Seattle go around to the west of Vancouver Island, missing some of the more scenic parts (but the ones sailing from Vancouver that go east mostly do the narrowest section in the dark, so...).  Assume there won't be much to see during the main part of the inside/outside passage days, and that there is some potential for the water to be a bit rough.  Long evenings, so you might have scenery till 10pm, though; I enjoy the sail-in, sail-out.

Weather is variable could be cold and rainy, could be warm and sunny.  I've cruised Glacier Bay with lots of people swimming and sunbathing in the outdoor pool.

You should have time to get up closer to Hubbard Glacier, which sometimes requires painstaking movement through the ice in the bay; the ships doing one-way north or south are on tighter schedules there.

By breaking out of the 7-day round trip schedule, you get good time in the ports.  

• Like 1

Well I am confused, what cruise are you on?  June 27 to July 8 or July 8-15?  Or something else?
I see open PH’s on one and all waitlists on the other cruise.  We used our balconies to be able to watch the calving from the glacier and then being able to “Warm Up” and drink room service Hot Chocolate or maybe a selection from Barista’s. Spending hours out on the upper deck is bone chilling at times when viewing the glaciers. Yes, Horizon’s is an ideal place to view from and remain warm and hear the presentations. 

Alaska , we have done several times and they are all special trips and yet different each time.  Some friends combined a trip on the Rocky Mountaineer but that usually goes in and out of Vancouver but it is very special.  We did Denali on one trip and that was great.  See, more trips to Alaska could be in your travel plans. 

Weather, the line I always experienced when I was in Anchorage was, “Wait 20 minutes and it will change”. You can slip from sunshine to pouring rain and mist and fog. Definitely layers, take your stateroom umbrella with you or carry a mini umbrella in a backpack whenever you leave the ship. We have definitely been drenched!

if you are visiting Hoonah, it is a great little port call, unique and beautiful. If you are up for a float plane photo trip in Ketchikan, contact Island Wings.  Michelle is a fantastic pilot and been up there 30 years.  She gives a great tour, including putting down on a lake to experience the quiet, the float plane landing and take off, really cool. Their prices were better than the ship tour prices for a longer tour.  

Alaska is special, ENJOY. 

Mauibabes

• Like 3

Well shorts and light  clothing might be good IF for the few days you have them ....but only on the ship.  Ashore your will be the center of attention  for Black Flies, Horse Flys, No Seeums, Mosquitos, gnats, yellow jackets ( aka:  "meat bugs)  and ticks    .. the quantity of which you have never yet imagined existed.....all looking for a fresh meal...  Pack a good bug spray.   All, until the first frost kills them all off; your the main attraction 

Good rain gear, pants and anorak are excellent in bug infested forests and meadows  North face or Sierra design   make super small stuff sacks they fit in. 

Dress in layers that can be added or subtracted     Avoid cotton as it  is a poor insulator and absorbs moisture   Need a cheap fast rain coat?    Bring a black plastic garbage bag in case. cut a hole for arm and head.   People will laugh when you put it on... for about 30 seconds....  till they are soaked. cold and miserable. .  Bring a hat and a bandana     

Going north the inland passage is all done at night    Going south it is done in the day time.     Cool and misty in the morning with  fog.     When ship is moving expect a 25-30 mph wind on deck   Outside passage  west of Vancouver Isl  is big swells and whales all day.    Straights of Juan de" Fuka "  ( also pronounced more bluntly  by sailors)    is big water all of Puget sound meets the Pacfic current it can be interesting with 20-30 ft swells. common.

HAve fun

france maine, ak 2017 292.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 322.JPG

france maine, ak 2017 289.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

Well I am confused, what cruise are you on?  June 27 to July 8 or July 8-15?  Or something else?

We are on the Jun 27 departure.  Did I read that right?  All those cabins are available?  We do stop at Hoonah.  I've read about it alot and the aborigninal tribe  Tlingit that are there.  We're doing a jeep safai through the Chicagof island.

Deb

We've also been a couple of times and have another trip booked. Alaska is awe inspiring.

You will have daylight until after 10 and if you have a late departure you will indeed be able to see the shoreline as you sail away.

You might have rain but June and July are fairly dry, or as fairly dry as things get in Alaska. If you have waterproof, not water repellant, shoes and outerwear, you can go anywhere and do everything you want. You don't really need heavy winter attire. Take a fleece jacket.

A great place to be as you leave Hoonah is on the aft. The channel is narrow and there's no telling what you will see as you sail away. I even saw a bear on the shore!

Enjoy your first cruise to Alaska.

• Like 1

Cruised to Alaska twice and loved it. Most times around a glacier will be cold. Layers needed. Always be ready for rain. 

Take a tour on a helicopter or float plane. Very expensive but you will remember it on your death bed.

The sea out from Seattle usually has swells that can cause seasickness so be ready if that bothers you. 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 8:46 PM, mexicobob said:

Cruised to Alaska twice and loved it. Most times around a glacier will be cold. Layers needed. Always be ready for rain. 

Take a tour on a helicopter or float plane. Very expensive but you will remember it on your death bed.

The sea out from Seattle usually has swells that can cause seasickness so be ready if that bothers you. 

Not sure of the flight route  but the #1 flight is Ketchikan- Misty Fijords    buy ashore in Ketchican  about $100 cheaper than in the ship. ..... best plane is a De Haviland Otter   A turbo prop ;  better than the Beaver model ....  which is older and has, well a  number of incidents.   Stay away from Cessna Float planes. and Light Twin engine   In Alaska  it good to know your aircraft types..... I can mean your life...  It has for many.   .Sky Caravan by Cessna  is the Cessna exception     but not a float plane.

• Like 1

Totally agree on the misty fjords float plane!  We live near Seattle and wholeheartedly recommend Merino wool socks, stocking caps and underlayers.

Don't send for ship laundry, but this stuff is the ticket for comfort in this climate For all but the t shirt weather.  expensive. But you may find yourself wearing it more and more. We think its the best stuff on earth for clothes. 

Rain jacket is not negotiable,  even a disposable poncho or trash bag hack will do, but don't go without. Bug spray too. 

Binoculars got used too, I've brought for other trips but used the most in Alaska. Mainly Bears. Don't need a closeup. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/31/2022 at 8:46 PM, mexicobob said:

The sea from Seattle going out Juan De F*3@a Straits is rough and headed north.    Puget Sound going north via the Inside passage is glass... water ski ocean... until  you exit the north end of the inside passage  , tip of Vancouver Isl.     Between there and Price of Wales island  you have a gentle roll around  breakfast time 

If departing Vancouver for the inside passage north bound... you want to hit the Terrace cafe OUTSIDE. for dinner that first night..  You will catch the sunset and watch the mountains close in and the sky become stars...maybe even a good moon if its  in phase.

GET a  national Geo map ( waterproof)  so that you can identify stuff, mountains and islands.... be your own navigator...if you bring a cheap compass you can pinpoint what is what......... Makes the trip more intresting.....  and being on deck gives you a 360 degree theater..... Use the cabin as little as possible  to get the feel.    It is a huge nature show...   all yours

As for Rain  the furthur north you go past Juneau the dryer it gets.     There is this  sign in Ketchican "    Welcome th Ketchikan rain festival  Jan 1-Dec31

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1