first time doing "my time" dining

tmc057

Probably a stupid question but - The last few times I have taken a cruise we have always had a prebooked dining time & table. But late dining was all booked up so we chose to do 'my time' this cruise. But I have no idea how this works. Do I need to make reservations each day? Or do I just show up at the maitre d to be seated anywhere at any time? Anything else I need to know?

Just now, tmc057 said:

Do I need to make reservations each day? Or do I just show up at the maitre d to be seated anywhere at any time?

You can do either, but, on a busy ship at a busy time, you'll probably wait a while for a table. You can emulate late dining by booking at the same time every night pre cruise.

• Like 2

You can walk up to the My Time Dining room any time you want during the posted hours and wait like you would for any restaurant on land. OR, you can make a reservation time through your Cruise Planner. I normally pick the same time each night on cruise planner for My Time. We have requested the same wait staff at times if we really liked the team on night one. Other times we have just gone at the same reservation time and took whoever they put us with. I have done this route if I know we will have signature dining some times or won't go each night. Great experiences both ways.

Edited by MellowMel
  • Like 3

Book whatever times are available pre-cruise if you don't want to just show up.  When you get onboard go to the dining room that is open and the host can move things around if you need to.  In the past we didn't like the new policy of 6:30 earliest reservation and they move it to 5:30.  They moved the times later so they could squeeze in an early-early fixed seating at 5 or 5:15.  

And if you like to eat at the same time with the same table/waiters, the Head Waiter in your area can arrange this or you can stop by the checkin desk when you leave the first night.  Normally waiters move to different stations between cruises.  For our B3B our Head Waiter arranged for us to have the same window table with same waiters all three cruises.  And she volunteered to set up our dining for our next B2B cruises on Symphony.

• Like 2

We were on Independence last week and had MTD.  We made our reservations when we boarded (app kept choking for us).  The reservation desk was at the entrance to the Windjammer.  We booked the same time each evening but did not always get the same wait staff even though we asked.  

The atmosphere in MTD is extremely rushed and crowded.  Check when you get onboard and ask to switch to late dining.  They usually hold back a few tables for each dining time and will likely be able to accommodate you.  You can also phone RCCL ahead of time and ask to be waitlisted for the late dining which will also help.

We prefer a table for two.  Much quicker dinner experience same food.  

Book what is available you can show up if your pre-cruise booking turns out to conflict with something you want to do.  When you show up you still get into the you have a reservation left side, and they will work you in pretty quickly.  At least that has been our experience.  IE the experience when you arrive just before your scheduled MTD time or any time, has been pretty similar.  

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 6:05 PM, LeeW said:

Book whatever times are available pre-cruise if you don't want to just show up.  When you get onboard go to the dining room that is open and the host can move things around if you need to.  In the past we didn't like the new policy of 6:30 earliest reservation and they move it to 5:30.  They moved the times later so they could squeeze in an early-early fixed seating at 5 or 5:15.  

And if you like to eat at the same time with the same table/waiters, the Head Waiter in your area can arrange this or you can stop by the checkin desk when you leave the first night.  Normally waiters move to different stations between cruises.  For our B3B our Head Waiter arranged for us to have the same window table with same waiters all three cruises.  And she volunteered to set up our dining for our next B2B cruises on Symphony.

We typically eat dinner early, but I switched from early seating to MTD because the port says we’d likely be ready for dinner later than the sea days. I regretted my decision when I saw in my cruise planner that MTD started at 6:30. But it sounds like reservations just start then, but we could show up to eat earlier and just wait for a table? What time does the MTD dining room open? We’ll be on Oasis if that makes a difference.