Room next to The Bridge”

NiceAunt

Has anyone ever stayed in a Cabin or a Suite toward the very front of the ship that “shares a wall” with “The Bridge”?    Cruise Consultant saying everything is electronic so shouldn’t be noisy.   I only care about noise at night when trying to sleep.  Thoughts? 

I think the area called "The Bridge" on the ship maps includes officer cabins between the passenger cabins and the actual bridge with all the instrumentation, etc. We had the Behind the Scenes tour on our last cruise in 2019 that included the bridge where all the action happens. It was much smaller than the grayed out area on the ship maps and was very quiet.

Edited by oceanmom

I was curious about this as well. We have a room very close booked on our next cruise. I'm curious how much they can see of our balcony area. Might be a little odd in my bathrobe with my morning coffee.

7 hours ago, NiceAunt said:

Has anyone ever stayed in a Cabin or a Suite toward the very front of the ship that “shares a wall” with “The Bridge”?    Cruise Consultant saying everything is electronic so shouldn’t be noisy.   I only care about noise at night when trying to sleep.  Thoughts? 

The bridge itself is only a part of the area that is grayed out on deck plans, as noted above.  The bridge at night is occupied by 4 people, all who try to keep noise down to allow them to hear the "beeps" and "blips" that they need to hear to perform their duties.  The area aft of the bridge proper is reserved for deck officers, and senior officers.  Since the deck officers work shifts that go round the clock, they are sleeping at times when the other officers are awake, so they all tend to be quiet in their cabins to respect their colleagues.  That is also reinforced on cruise ships by being trained to respect the passengers living nearby.  If you hear any noise coming from this area at night, things have really gone sideways, and you need to hear that noise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On our very first cruise ever, we were on the old Statendam, in what is now called the Pinnacle Suite (back then it was the Penthouse Suite).  The living room wall adjoined the officers cabins on the other side, and eventually up to the bridge.  There was no problem with noise.  However, back then there was no smoking permitted in passenger cabins, but apparently, officers were permitted to smoke in their cabins.  So a couple times we smelled smoke in our living room, that either came through the wall or through the ventilation system.  I assume now a days, the officers are not permitted to smoke in their cabins so this would not be a problem.  We have never smelled cigarette smoke in the last 8+ years when we toured the bridge area on behind the scenes ships tours.

To answer scokely's question, on most HAL ships the bridge "wings" extend quite a ways out from the ship.  If someone is in that part of the bridge they can see most balconies on that side of the ship.  I am often out on my balcony in my bathrobe or pajamas watching us dock and there is always bridge personnel and often the captain himself on the bridge wing.  I can see them so they can see me.  It doesn't bother me a bit.  I often see other people in bathrobes on their balcony.