Amalfi Coast Question

martyap

We are a group of 4 adults and 4 high school senior girls doing a private excursion from Naples cruise ship port. This is a Saturday in July and we leave Naples at 7:30am and return to the ship at 5:00pm. We are not stopping at Pompeii. We have some flexibility in the itinerary since this is not a shared excursion with fellow cruisers.

Our plan is to leave Sorrento as our last stop and have more time to browse, shop and enjoy a meal. Of the other towns Amalfi, Positano, Ravello is there one we should omit? Spend more time in? Any other sites/stops we should ask to include in the excursion? 
For the majority in the group it is our first time visiting this beautiful region in Italy. We understand that the driver is really not a tour guide but if there are stops we request they would possibly accommodate us. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thank you.

I'm afraid you are overestimating what can be accomplished by road in July, most especially on a weekend.

Best case, and I think this is being overly positive, it will take ninety minutes to drive from the cruise port in Naples to the town of Ravello using the SP1 mountain pass.

So let's say you arrive to Ravello at 9AM and spend one hour there.

The drive from Ravello to Amalfi, while only about five miles, can take 45 minutes to an hour.  It's a narrow, winding road being shared by cars and a lot of buses, both public ones making stops along the way and tour buses.  It's the only way by road to get from Ravello to Amalfi.

(note that there is no passing on any of the roads along the coast, so every time the public bus stops so does the entire line of traffic behind it.)

Which means you'd arrive to Amalfi between 10:45 - 11:00.

After one hour in Amalfi the real challenge begins, the drive from Amalfi to Positano.  You have a choice to make here, how much to walk/hike (remember that Positano is basically vertical) vs. time spent in the car to drive.  The one drivable road through Positano is one way in the direction heading toward Amalfi, so to drive it you have to double back.  For perspective, if you get out of the car and walk in from the first intersection of Via Cristoforo Colombo (the road through Positano) it will be nine and a half miles in the car from Amalfi.  If you drive to the other end of Via Cristoforo Colombo and drive through Positano it will be about twelve miles (depending on exactly where you have the driver drop you off in the town).  It may not sound like a big difference but you're looking at, again best case, one hour to the first intersection vs. 90 minutes to the second one.  No matter what you do there will be some walking and climbing in Positano unless you never get out of the car.

Sorry for being so long winded but it's hard to appreciate the traffic and how very long it takes to get anywhere along the coast.

So if you arrive to Positano around 1 PM and spend an hour there, you'll be hitting the road to Sorrento around 2 PM.  Once again, a trip of only ten miles will take up to an hour, arriving around 3 PM.

Now here's your problem.   You pretty much don't have time to get out of the car in Sorrento because the drive back to Naples will be at minimum 90 minutes, and any reputable car service will want to allow two hours to ensure they get you back on time.

All of which is to say that you can't cram all of this into one day by car in July.

Edited by euro cruiser

19 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

Now here's your problem.   You pretty much don't have time to get out of the car in Sorrento because the drive back to Naples will be at minimum 90 minutes, and any reputable car service will want to allow two hours to ensure they get you back on time.

One other problem with Sorrento is that it does enjoy its afternoon siestas, many shops close after lunchtime & re-open around 4pm to 5pm..

But you surprise me with "Ravello to Amalfi, while only about five miles, can take 45 minutes to an hour".

We lodged in Ravello a few years ago, also mid-summer, and to Amalfi was never a problem either by car or bus (bus avoided the parking grief & expense in Amalfi). Took about 15 mins by car, same as Googlemaps. But that was some years ago.

What are your thoughts on the option of taking the ferry between the cruise berths and Sorrento - about an hour, same as by road and no traffic snarl-ups - and meeting the van at Sorrento harbour ?

JB 🙂

Just now, John Bull said:

What are your thoughts on the option of taking the ferry between the cruise berths and Sorrento - about an hour, same as by road and no traffic snarl-ups - and meeting the van at Sorrento harbour ?

It's certainly more comfortable and faster, but I see two problems.  First, at least as of right now, the first ferry of the day isn't until 9 AM.  They can't afford to waste that much time, even though they'd be saving some with the ferry.  During the height of the season, when they will be there, it's very possible that an earlier morning ferry will be added but that leads to the second problem, the shops wouldn't be open yet.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, John Bull said:

We lodged in Ravello a few years ago, also mid-summer, and to Amalfi was never a problem either by car or bus (bus avoided the parking grief & expense in Amalfi). Took about 15 mins by car, same as Googlemaps. But that was some years ago.

Googlemaps is notorious for underestimating travel times, especially in this case because they use a fairly simple algorithm that does not take into account traffic.  It's not many miles and there is only one traffic light, as I recall, so they miss the realities.  

But for the sake of furthering the conversation, that's assume that I'm being overly pessimistic and it only takes 20 minutes to get from Ravello to Amalfi.  That really doesn't make a big change in the overall picture, unfortunately, but it does make it more plausible to look at the ferry option between Amalfi and Positano.

Edited by euro cruiser

Another way to buy some time is to take the ferry back from Sorrento to Naples.  The last Alilauro of the day, on the current schedule, departs Sorrento at 16:25 (4:25 PM) and arrives to Beverello (adjacent to the cruise port, a less than five minute walk to the ship) at 17:10 (5:10 PM).  There aren't ferries on the weekends currently but generally they are added in the summer, so if this option opens up that buys them a lot of time in Sorrento that they wouldn't have if they take the car back.

After all that, I think the option that gives them the greatest possibility of getting what they want is to use the car service to drive from the port to Ravello in the morning and take them on to Amalfi.  Next the ferry from Amalfi to Positano and meet the driver there for the leg from Positano to Sorrento, followed by the ferry from Sorrento to Naples.

If they do this and pay attention to their timing, they can adjust throughout the day based on their interests.  If Amalfi turns out to be not as interesting as they hoped, they can move on earlier to Positano, for example.  The elements to plan around would be the ferry schedules.

In Sept 2019, our Naples stop was 7am-7pm.  I hired a private driver for the day (8hrs) and added an additional hour.  We were picked up at 8am and dropped off at 5pm.  

I knew what I wanted to see and do. But prior to the cruise the car company had suggested doing a loop starting with Positano, in order to get ahead of the traffic.  Wise decision. 

So we drove immediately to Positano, stopping 3 or 4 times along the way for photos.  Wandered around Positano for an hr or so, then caught the ferry to Amalfi.  Highly recommend the ferry; outstanding views!  We had an hr or so in Amalfi then met our driver and went to Ravello.  We took the drivers suggestion and had a sit-down lunch at a restaurant above Ravello.  In hindsight we should have just grabbed a pizza to go;sitting in a restaurant for an hour plus was wasted time that could have been spent exploring.

Spend an hour or so in Ravello (visited Villa Rufolo), then took SP1 thru the mtns back to Naples.

Fantastic day. For me, the highlight was the ferry. Seeing the villages from the sea was so beautiful.

(We skipped Sorrento; no interest in shopping and read that the other villages had more character )

Hope this helps. Good luck with your decision. Have a great cruise !

Edited by mapleleaves
  • Like 1

I will be on the Celebrity Beyond in October.   We do not stop in Naples, however, I'll have 2.5 days in Rome prior to the cruise.   Is it worth it to take the train to Amalfi Coast for the day from Rome?

Also, we will make stops in Portofino and Florence.   We are looking at ships excursions but are there places to see near the port?   Any must sees in these ports?

Thank you.

I personally would never give up a day from Rome in such a short visit, but that's me.  For perspective, it would take three-four hours to get there from Rome, and another three-four hours to get back.

The port for Florence is Livorno, 160 km/100 miles away.

Portofino is a tender port, once on land you're in Portofino itself.  If you want to get around the area the ferry is probably the best way to go.

Edited by euro cruiser
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lib0007 said:

I'll have 2.5 days in Rome prior to the cruise.   Is it worth it to take the train to Amalfi Coast for the day from Rome?

From my perspective my answer is No. As lovely as the Amalfi coast it isn't worth the travel time. Even though we have visited Rome a few times we find there is always more to see and enjoy. We are going again in July for 5 days and I have already filled up the days.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lib0007 said:

I will be on the Celebrity Beyond in October.   We do not stop in Naples, however, I'll have 2.5 days in Rome prior to the cruise.   Is it worth it to take the train to Amalfi Coast for the day from Rome?

I agree with the others who have said it is not worth trying to do the Amalfi Coast in a day, taking time away from what is really the bare minimum in Rome. 

hope it's okay to tag on a question of my own...

we will be in Salerno port in July from 7am-6pm on RCL cruise.

Here are our plans.  Using Rome In Limo:  pick up at port at 7:30 and go to Pompeii. Then on to Sorrento and Positano, then back to the port.   

I really really don't want to miss Positano. I don't know much about Sorrento.

Is this plan doable? should we just skip Sorrento and go straight to Positano?

The Rome in Limo tour says it stops for lunch in Sorrento then a bit of free time, then on to Positano. 

Thanks for any insight and tips/recommendations. 

8 hours ago, biksgirl said:

Here are our plans.  Using Rome In Limo:  pick up at port at 7:30 and go to Pompeii. Then on to Sorrento and Positano, then back to the port.   

The Rome in Limo tour says it stops for lunch in Sorrento then a bit of free time, then on to Positano. 

Yay Salerno! (Used to live there)

the suggestions make make a lot of sense....going the farthest and working your way back.....

i would study up on what the towns are like, as if I had an option for the cities on the coast, I wouldn’t want to go to Sorrento, to me it’s just a big town on a cliff with tourists and shops, I would go to the Amalfi coast right after Pompeii.  I kinda strongly dislike Positano as all I can ever find there are expensive shops and a lot of walking, though it is very pretty! My choices would be for Amalfi and Ravello, as Amalfi seems more like an historical quaint town with some shops in it and my fav hike on the coast, and Ravello has the grand houses and gardens with the views.  

Its really all about what you want to do, and my opinions are from what I like and when I have visited instead of what you want to do and what your research helps you learn.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

The port for Florence is Livorno, 160 km/100 miles away.

Yes, Florence is inland

Cruise ships no longer sail the 60 miles up the River Arno to Florence because they kept getting stuck under the Ponte Vecchio 😉 (joke)

Top 10 Facts about the Ponte Vecchio in Florence - Discover Walks Blog

JB 🙂

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, biksgirl said:

It seems logical, I just don't know that it takes reality into account.

You will waste some time at Pompei because the site doesn't open until 9 AM.  Unfortunately, this is the only segment of your day in the car that won't involve sitting in stop and go traffic so you'll get there at least a half hour before opening time, possibly more.

If you take a guided tour, or even if you tour on your own, the minimum amount of time you'll spend in the ruins is two hours.  

If you get back on the road at 11 AM in July it will be between 60 - 90 minutes to Sorrento.  Mapping programs do not sufficiently take into account traffic, which is hard to explain if you haven't been there.  Much of the road down the Sorrentine peninsula is one lane in each direction and it's the only option, so you wait.

The drive between Sorrento and Positano, while unbelievably only ten miles, will take at least one hour and I would not be surprised if it required 90 minutes.   Your driver may suggest the less crowded route via Sant'Agata, you'll move easier but you won't really save that much time.

The last leg, assuming you don't stop anywhere else, will eat up two to two and a half hours to travel about 26 miles.   In this case google maps almost reflects reality, it assumes you'll travel at about 17 miles per hour, on average.  I think that's optimistic.

I suspect that the car service is suggesting Sorrento as your lunch stop because (1) they know how long the drive will take from Sorrento to Positano and they don't want hot, starving, unhappy passengers and (2) they know how crowded Positano will be in July and how difficult it will be to find a place to eat.  Sorrento is larger and offers more options.

It doesn't sound like a pleasant day to me, but I don't like sitting in cars for hours and hours.

• Like 1

@Kathscof @eurocriuser I really appreciate the time you took with your detailed replies. I had no idea about the driving and all the time it we will be sitting in a car. 

the reasoning for lunch in Sorrento makes sense now with the long drive. Ugh, seems like I have a lot to think about. Perhaps I can reach out to Rome In Limo to see what other options we have. 

Is it possible to drive from Pompeii to Positano directly? or is it just the one main road and we would be passing Sorrento anyways? 

another thought...is it possible to take a ferry from Sorrento to Positano? Then perhaps another one back to the Port?  Would this save anytime?

thanks

Edited by biksgirl

Okay, now I see how I screwed  up.  I was answering biksgirl, not the OP, so the comment still stands.

Back to your next question, you don't have to go all the way to Sorrento if you drive directly to Positano from Pompei but it's still the same roads, minus the last three miles into Sorrento.  It would save you some time.

A ferry from Sorrento to Positano won't save time because the ferry has to go all the way out around the point, so it takes a full hour.

A ferry back to Salerno will save time vs. driving on the coast road, so maybe you part ways with the driver in Positano and take the ferry back from there.  You still have to drop Sorrento, and worry about whether or not you'll find a place to eat in Positano. 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2022 at 4:09 AM, biksgirl said:

I would definitely go with tour company suggestion, let them know what you want to do and ask then to plan it in the best way. Have fun planing 🙂

• Like 1