Airlie Beach, Cairns & Port Douglas cruise ports

We are a family if 4 and we have booked on Coral Princess for end of June this year, we realise  we’ll be on the first cruise ship into those ports in two years.

Looking for suggestions about what to do in each port - we want to visit the GBR from one of those ports. But also Daintree and Mossman Gorge really appeals from PD.

Many thanks for any suggestions. 

Lou :)

I haven't been to Airlie Beach before but I've heard the reef trip is very good.

For Cairns I recommmend the Skyrail / Scenic Train trip to Kuranda. On the Skyrail part make sure you get off at the way stations and have a look around. 

I recommend the Daintree for Port Douglas.

We're booked on that cruise too.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

You can go on the ship's tour to Hardy Lagoon from Airlie Beach. I have done this trip. It is excellent, but expensive. It is a long slow catamaran trip to the pontoon on the reef. This trip cannot be done independently because of the timing.

Other options - there is a croc-spotting trip. I haven't been on that one so I can't comment. There is a swimming lagoon in the park at Airlie Beach, but it is so-so, not as lovely as the one in Cairns. Otherwise there isn't too much in Airlie Beach, but they usually have a market operating on cruise ship days.

Cairns - Maybe the Skyrail trip to Kuranda. This can be done independently by pre-booking, particularly the rail section to return to Cairns. You would need to take a taxi to reach the Skyrail depot on the northern outskirts of Cairns. The railway station where the heritage-listed train returns to, is within walking distance of the ship. There is plenty to do in Kuranda.

Other options in Cairns include Fitzroy Island, Green Island (the coral isn't as good as at Hardy Reef or what you can see from Port Douglas).

Port Douglas - You can go snorkelling at either Low Isles or the Outer Reef. I recommend a company called Reef Sprinter. I have gone on their trips a few times and found them great. They take only 14 people on their jet boats so you need to book early. Because the trip is by jet boat, it doesn't take hours and hours to reach the reef. If you do the reef trip from Airlie Beach, consider something else for Port Douglas.

Other options for Port Douglas - Crocodile-spotting trip on the Daintree River or a trip to the Daintree world-heritage listed rainforest. There are also trips to Mossman Gorge but if it was me, I would prefer either or the other two options. Tours will be available to purchase on the dock at Port Douglas.

You might like to join us on the Roll Call for this cruise.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1