HAL gifts cards at a discount

Euby

Just a word to the wise: If you are counting on travel protection from your Sapphire Reserve credit card, any part paid for with discount cards will not be covered -- even if they are bought with the same card. I have this from the vice president of our Chase branch!

For any other card's protection, inquire of your carrier!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KarefreeKaren said:

Yes, just did it last week—they were able to input the numbers through automation and a revised amount due invoice was sent that day.  Also, did it about a month ago and all went through.  

Thanks.  

24 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Just a word to the wise: If you are counting on travel protection from your Sapphire Reserve credit card, any part paid for with discount cards will not be covered -- even if they are bought with the same card. I have this from the vice president of our Chase branch!

For any other card's protection, inquire of your carrier!

That is correct. Any amount spent on a gift card goes back to the gift card with no consumer protection. This is true of any credit card (not just CSP). 

Also make sure your travel insurance recognizes gift cards. Most don’t. So if you are buying CFAR insurance you’d be high and dry. 

In addition, the consumer is not protected by normal credit card protection either (example- failure to deliver).

Just ask anyone with a bed bath and beyond gift card because they are worth zero now. https://www.giftcards.com/gcgf/bed-bath-beyond-giftcards

I will use HAL gift cards close to sailing for on board purchases since in the event of cancellation on board purchased are refunded anyway. 

Gift  cards are definitely buyer beware. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Not exactly. 

You are correct I was referring to the way you pay with them.

And yes if you get money back that you paid with that card, the money will go back on that card. So always save the card info until you have completed that cruise that you have applied the money to.

Edited by Gail & Marty sailing away
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2022 at 11:28 AM, Chickadee910 said:

Hit my limit of 5 for the month.

5 hours ago, SUESEABE said:

Ditto!!

Hi, I have a question for both of you since you are hitting your limit with cards each month. Are you insuring your trip thru an additional travel insurance policy?  For things lost luggage? Cruise delays?  Medical evacuation?

If so, what insurance company is covering you if you have paid for the cruise via gift cards? I am unaware of any insurance policy that will reload gift cards and it is my understanding that that would be money lost. I hope to be wrong.

I almost had occasion to find the answer to whether travel insurance will pay cash for cruises paid for with the gift cards.  My hubby was in isolation for 4 days on our TA on NS.  I filed the insurance claim and gave them all proof of the payment using the gift cards.  However, HAL quickly gave us the future cruise credit and hence I told the insurance not to bother with that claim.  The insurance did reimburse us for some medicine bought at the medical center onboard, but that wasn't bought by gift card.

I did love getting that 10% off the cruise by using the gift cards.  Not sure I'll do it again for the final payment on the next cruise just due to this uncertainty as it applies to travel protection.

Edited by Native Floridian 26
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

I almost had occasion to find the answer to whether travel insurance will pay cash for cruises paid for with the gift cards.  My hubby was in isolation for 4 days on our TA on NS.  I filed the insurance claim and gave them all proof of the payment using the gift cards.  However, HAL quickly gave us the future cruise credit and hence I told the insurance not to bother with that claim.  The insurance did reimburse us for some medicine bought at the medical center onboard, but that wasn't bought by gift card.

I did love getting that 10% off the cruise by using the gift cards.  Not sure I'll do it again for the final payment on the next cruise just due to this uncertainty as it applies to travel protection.

I agree.  Right now I have a reason for carrying cancellation due to cause.  If I didn’t have that reason I would forgo the travel insurance and use the gift card and my annual medical policy. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SUESEABE said:

@BermudaBound2014 Yes, I have Allianz Travel Insurance, also have a Travel credit card which carries a lot of insurance.

Thanks for replying. Since you stated you hit your gift card max for the month, are you paying for any portion of your cruise fare with gift cards??

Just so I’m clear- your stating that your the insurance policies provided by your credit card and Alianze will reimburse your losses back to the gift card?

If you use gift cards to pay for any part of the cruise fare, I was taught that any insurance provided by a travel credit card (or Allianz’s) becomes  null and void.

In other words, what policy are you buying (and what CC are you using) that will reimburse cruise fare back to a gift card? 

Thanks 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I agree.  Right now I have a reason for carrying cancellation due to cause.  If I didn’t have that reason I would forgo the travel insurance and use the gift card and my annual medical policy. 

thanks for sharing your strategy. Just so I'm clear, You would go with no insurance for trip delay? Baggage lost? etc? Knowing that any insurance policy will not refund to a gift card?? 

That is the what I’m contemplating, buying alianze emergency health coverage and self-insuring the rest of the cruise fare. 

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

thanks for sharing your strategy. Just so I'm clear, You would go with no insurance for trip delay? Baggage lost? etc? Knowing that any insurance policy will not refund to a gift card?? 

That is the what I’m contemplating, buying alianze emergency health coverage and self-insuring the rest of the cruise fare. 

I would forgo insurance except my annual medical and only because it is so ridiculously cheap.

I have an elderly parent (90s) who I may need to rush home for and that is the only reason I carry trip insurance.  I am not a person who buys a new wardrobe for vacation so if my luggage gets lost I just wear Walmart (happened twice while on business).  If I get stuck somewhere so be it , I can find a way home sooner or later.  

The geoblue annual health coverage is excellent and incredibly cheap. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I would forgo insurance except my annual medical and only because it is so ridiculously cheap.

I have an elderly parent (90s) who I may need to rush home for and that is the only reason I carry trip insurance.  I am not a person who buys a new wardrobe for vacation so if my luggage gets lost I just wear Walmart (happened twice while on business).  If I get stuck somewhere so be it , I can find a way home sooner or later.  

The geoblue annual health coverage is excellent and incredibly cheap. 

Thanks gf- do you prefer geoblue or alliance?

4 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thanks gf- do you prefer geoblue or alliance?

Yes.  I started with them in my pre-Medicare days as I never bought regular health insurance- never had a need for it.  Thankfully I asked on the insurance board and Steve pointed out that not all travel insurance will accept a claim from someone who does not have home insurance- who would have known!  He recommended Geoblue (blue cross). I have been pleased.  They get a lot of praise on the insurance board. 

• Thanks 1

thank you- I have a call into Steve. I’m thinking of an annual medical health policy specifically to cover cruise travel internationally. The rest of my travels are within the USA and I have bcbs. 

I like the idea of saving 10% on the gift cards, but cruise lines are in a precarious financial position. I like to keep my options open. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

On 6/8/2022 at 4:47 PM, pmjnh said:

Yeah, that seems like one draw back...however, if you are cancelling for a covered reason with travel insurance, would you not receive cash back from the insurance company? Afterall, they wont know that you paid with gift cards.

1 hour ago, fox02554 said:

Dee, thanks for the repost...not ever having made a claim, is this a question the insurance companies make when /if is a claim is made? ie, what form of payment did you use.....Aside from credit card insurance, i mean...i will ask my TA about this as we generally purchase our Travel insurance through her company, but we have been considering an annual travel policy through one of the other companies 

Edited by pmjnh

13 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Hi, I have a question for both of you since you are hitting your limit with cards each month. Are you insuring your trip thru an additional travel insurance policy?  For things lost luggage? Cruise delays?  Medical evacuation?

If so, what insurance company is covering you if you have paid for the cruise via gift cards? I am unaware of any insurance policy that will reload gift cards and it is my understanding that that would be money lost. I hope to be wrong.

Yes we have a  additional travel insurance policy because our trips are over 90 days at a time ..

22 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Just bought 5 today from AARP

This thread started a long time ago.  I am not a member of AARP.  In reading through this thread, it's a bit chopped up trying to decipher what/how to go about getting these gift cards.  I looked at the links that people provided but the website ONLY shows a few gift cards.  That may be because I am NOT an AARP member.  

I am going to book a long voyage and this discount would be nice to use.

You posted that you "Just bought 5 today from AARP", and that was 22 hours ago according to your CC post.

I don't really want to join AARP unless I can buy these gift cards because I do get discounts for hotels, restaurants, etc through other means.  But again, these gift cards sound like a great deal.

Saying that, am I NOT seeing the Holland America gift cards on AARP because I am not a member, but once I become a member I will be able to still purchase the gift cards?  Are the gift cards in a particular section of the AARP website?  Finally, any hassles with buying them?  Thanks for some clarity on this.

9 minutes ago, AKJonesy said:

This thread started a long time ago.  I am not a member of AARP.  In reading through this thread, it's a bit chopped up trying to decipher what/how to go about getting these gift cards.  I looked at the links that people provided but the website ONLY shows a few gift cards.  That may be because I am NOT an AARP member.  

I am going to book a long voyage and this discount would be nice to use.

You posted that you "Just bought 5 today from AARP", and that was 22 hours ago according to your CC post.

I don't really want to join AARP unless I can buy these gift cards because I do get discounts for hotels, restaurants, etc through other means.  But again, these gift cards sound like a great deal.

Saying that, am I NOT seeing the Holland America gift cards on AARP because I am not a member, but once I become a member I will be able to still purchase the gift cards?  Are the gift cards in a particular section of the AARP website?  Finally, any hassles with buying them?  Thanks for some clarity on this.

You do NOT have to be an AARP member to buy the Holland gift cards.  I think you do have to sign up for the AARP rewards to have an account.

Here is a link. Not sure it'll work for you.  

https://www.aarp.org/rewards/redeem/#sort-by=default

Edited by Native Floridian 26

5 hours ago, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Yes we have a  additional travel insurance policy because our trips are over 90 days at a time ..

and will this additional insurance policy pay back anything put on your gift card? If so, name of policy please.

It is my understanding that travel Insurance does not support gift cards. 

Gift Card 10% Deal

I tried the route for AARP Rewards which doesn't seem to work unless you are a AARP Member, so I guess I have to think about that.  I don't even know if that is available because no where on the website does it say whether the 10% off HAL gift cards is available.  Again, I am not a member.

I tried using the HAL gift card site which takes you to buyatabonline and NOTHING there that says there is any discount as well before you agree to terms and give them all of YOUR information.  Plus the telephone number they have at the bottom of the page doesn't work.  

I'd like to do this but unless I KNOW there is a 10% deal, I'm not jumping through hoops for nothing.