Celebrity trip stopping Marseille ,Corsica and Nice and going on to Italy

hobgoblin

• 5 weeks later...

You don't say which port in Corsica, but most likely Ajaccio. In Ajaccio our ship docked in town, so very easy to DIY here.

There have been threads on Ajaccio and Corsica before, also multiple threads on Marseille, Nice and Villefranche (sometimes NICE is actually VILLEFRANCHE, a nearby town).so the easiest way to get maximum info is to use the SEARCH facility.

The search facility is very easy to use. Go to  (this) France forum , but not to your own thread.   Log in, and just below your user name, you will see the empty search box.  Input the word  Ajaccio or Corsica (or both at different times), or Marseille or Nice or Villefranche should this apply, tick "on this forum" from the drop down underneath the box, then hit the little magnifying glass.  All previous threads containing that word will appear in the results and you can read them at leisure.  Obviously you only enter one of your ports at a time.

Works the same way for ports in other countries too. Simply go to the correct forum for the country your port is in, then do as above.You mentioned Italy so you might wantto search that forum too.

There is also lots of online info for all your ports. Try the usual cruise port info websites for docking info, distances  etc (whatsinport, cruisemapper, cruise crocodileand others) ,,Tripadvisor and local tourist info  websites and anything else which comes up when you internet search something along the lines of"?????"  Tourist Info". or even onlythe name "?????" 

Edited by edinburgher

• 2 weeks later...

All Celebrity ships are too big to dock in the Port of Nice, so they actually mean anchoring off Villefranche. Look it up on a map.  Absolutely beautiful. Get a tender to shore. You can DIY local bus/train to many interesting places if you don't want to walk around  Villefranche. Trains are very cheap. I don't recommend the local bus serve at Villefranche these days, as they are full of people to/from Monte Carlo all the time. But still very cheap if you want to do it. Trains are better but can still be very crowded.  Corsica on Celebrity will probably  be Ajaccio so you can DIY. Lovely town, full of history, beautiful scenery and  good local food market 10 minutes from when you get off the ship, also Napoleon's birthplace nearby.  Marseille for the Celebrity ships,  unfortunately you will be at the new cruise port which is horrible and a long way from the heart of Marseille. DIY- if you know how - otherwise you need the ship shuttle into town. Marseille is truly interesting, however if you have never been to this region before, a trip to Aix-en-Provence or to the Luberon may be what would appeal to you more.

• Like 2

In 2019 we used Italy Tours from Villefrenche to visit Eze, Monaco, Monte Carlo, and so much more beautiful areas! Highly recommend this company & tour! We were in Monte Carlo when the World Yacht Sales were taking place! All the rich and famous were there!

https://www.italytours.eu/shore-excursions/french-riviera-shore-excursion/

We spent a week in Nice over Easter so here’s my views on that stop.  Villefranche  is really pretty with lots of waterfront cafes. It’s a stunning port. The must do, is the hilltop village of Eze. I cannot stress this enough, go there as early as possible. We were there at a quiet time and loved it but I did say to my husband that it would be horrible in the summer once all the cruise ship tours descend. The streets are so narrow, as you would expect from a medieval town. If you like to hike and fancy something different, you can walk around the Cap Ferat directly from Villefranche. It’s a flat coastal walk and you walk by fancy villas and end up in the lovely village of St Jean Cap Ferat. I did not care for Monaco - it’s full of ugly high rises and I have no interest in designer shops or yachts. However others may like it. Nice is a better choice. There’s an old town, the promenade, lots of big squares and it feels authentic.  The public transport along the coast  is so cheap, €1,50 a journey but the buses  are crowded, especially the Monaco bus which is number 100 Nice to Menton.  Menton is also lovely btw, just at the Italian border. Have a great trip.

• Like 1