Soda

kurioskitty

Question I know you were allowed 12 cans of soda per person on embarkation day. What I’m wondering is when we get to port in San Juan if I find my brand of soda could I buy another 12 pack and bring it a board and bring it to my room? Has anyone done this in the past six months? Thank you!!! 

11 minutes ago, kurioskitty said:

when we get to port in San Juan if I find my brand of soda could I buy another 12 pack and bring it a board and bring it to my room?

You absolutely may. My experience is not within the past six months, but we have done this twice at ports on two different Carnival cruises and we haven't even gotten a second look when we board.

9 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Yup. Sure can, and that's true for any port of call you stop at on your cruise. 

I love this and "you absolutely may" as comments. For most, if not all cruises this is true. We've done this more than a few times.

So, what is the real policy from Carnival at https://www.carnival.com/help#section-0 ?

Here is the text: Bringing Liquor and Beverages On Board - Embarkation

On embarkation day, a small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, energy drinks, juice, and milk), packaged in cans or cartons, may be brought on board and must be in the guest's carry-on luggage. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less, per person.

Ah, technicalities... Anyone ever been denied?

1 minute ago, sthrnbll said:

Is it true it's Pepsi now and not Coke?? I'm from Georgia. We don't drink Pepsi lol

Yes. No coke on Carnival ships. It's been this way for the past 2 years. 

We can’t stand Pepsi. So for our February cruise we brought a 12 pack of cokes on board. Then in Aruba we bought more cokes and brought them on board midweek. It was perfectly timed so that we always had our coke fix satisfied 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, cruisinqt said:

We can’t stand Pepsi. So for our February cruise we brought a 12 pack of cokes on board. Then in Aruba we bought more cokes and brought them on board midweek. It was perfectly timed so that we always had our coke fix satisfied 

I'd love to know where you found the Cokes in Aruba...thanks!! 🙂 

8 hours ago, sthrnbll said:

Is it true it's Pepsi now and not Coke?? I'm from Georgia. We don't drink Pepsi lol

The policy change was January of 2020 right before the pandemic hit. The change also included Pure Leaf iced tea and Starbucks bottled iced cappuccinos.

16 hours ago, a4ofspades said:

We always rent a car when in Aruba. There’s this large grocery store we like to go to whenever we’re there but I can’t remember the name. It’s on the main road going into town as you’re leaving the port. It’s on the right hand side of the road and it’s hard to miss. 

• Like 1

In San Juan, you don't even have to go into the city, there is a small store inside the terminal on the ground floor that sells soda, water, etc.

A lot of the retail stores in the ports have coolers in the back of the store with soda, water, vitamin water, etc.  In St. Thomas, we always go to a pharmacy located in the stores at the port that is similar to a Walgreens or CVS to purchase snacks, soda, water, energy drinks, etc.  So, you don't have to specifically search for a "grocery store".

I'm not a big Pepsi fan but I love Dr. Pepper and Carnival doesn't offer it on their ships (that I am aware of).  Also, I love Captain Morgan and they only have Bacardi Spiced Rum on board which is horrible.

8 minutes ago, tattoos said:

In San Juan, you don't even have to go into the city, there is a small store inside the terminal on the ground floor that sells soda, water, etc.

A lot of the retail stores in the ports have coolers in the back of the store with soda, water, vitamin water, etc.  In St. Thomas, we always go to a pharmacy located in the stores at the port that is similar to a Walgreens or CVS to purchase snacks, soda, water, energy drinks, etc.  So, you don't have to specifically search for a "grocery store".

I'm not a big Pepsi fan but I love Dr. Pepper and Carnival doesn't offer it on their ships (that I am aware of).  Also, I love Captain Morgan and they only have Bacardi Spiced Rum on board which is horrible.

They do offer Dr. Pepper.  We cruised last week and it was an option.  First time my son tried it.  I told him he wouldn't like it.  He loved it. 
Of course, everything I told him he would like he didn't...

I'm with you on the Bacardi. 

Edited by 1kaper

1 minute ago, 1kaper said:

They do offer Dr. Pepper.  We cruised last week and it was an option.  First time my son tried it.  I told him he wouldn't like it.  He loved it. 
Of course, everything I told him he would like he didn't...

I'm with you on the Bacardi. 

The Dr. Pepper is hit or miss.  It all depends on the embarkation port and which distributor they're using.  In the metro Philly area, Dr. Pepper is distributed through Coke.  If it's on a Carnival ship, then the distributor used in the embarkation port has Dr Pepper connected with a Pepsi distributor since that is the exclusive distributor on Carnival since the new contract that started in January of 2020.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tattoos said:

They have Kraken, which is a better spiced rum than the two you mentioned, IMHO 

4 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

The Dr. Pepper is hit or miss.  It all depends on the embarkation port and which distributor they're using.  In the metro Philly area, Dr. Pepper is distributed through Coke.  If it's on a Carnival ship, then the distributor used in the embarkation port has Dr Pepper connected with a Pepsi distributor since that is the exclusive distributor on Carnival since the new contract that started in January of 2020.

Ah.  Well, we sailed out of Galveston. 

1 hour ago, 1kaper said:

Ah.  Well, we sailed out of Galveston. 

I think Galveston is the only port that you'll get Dr Pepper.  I think Dr Pepper is connected with Coke in FLA.  If I'm wrong, someone will correct me.

20 hours ago, a4ofspades said:

We found a grocery store downtown. From the port it is a few streets back and a bit to the right. It is on Havenstraat Street.

• Like 1