Italy Cell Service Question

cruz_happy

We are traveling to Rome prior to boarding cruise.  Someone suggested to me to go to a local cell phone store there (any) and buy a sim card (e.g., $25 prepaid card) to put into your phone for local service.  She said this worked great & they were one of the only ones on their group trip that was able to get reception since it was a local number.  

Has anyone tried this?  Does this work?  (Sounds logical & that it would work.). If you've done this before, how did it work for you?  Would this "local" sim card extend for use in Spain (ship stops in Spain & France too)?  Or would these be considered international calls as well, do you know?   What downsides did you experience?

TYIA.

This is certainly a very common tactic to obtaining coverage in foreign countries.  The most important thing to know before you leave is whether your phone is "locked" by your local service provider in the US.  If you purchased it directly from the phone company and are still making payments on it, then it very possibly may be "locked".  This means it will only work on the current phone company's network.  Call them or use their website to figure this out.  Most companies will "unlock" them at some point, but you may have to call to ask about it.  Once it is unlocked, it is then free to be used with other company's (including foreign carriers that support that model of phone) cell service.

Many European cell providers span multiple countries.  Research those in advance and pick one that provides service in your desired countries.  I'll defer to others to recommend specific companies as I'm not that familiar with Italy, Spain and France companies.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Yes, it will work if your phone is 'unlocked'.  Also if you purchase a sim with data it will also work across the EU. It will work in any EU country, but not Europe, as it is an EU directive that permits us to 'roam' across the EU and use our phones as if we were in our (EU) home country.  So a sim card purchased in Italy will work in France, Spain, Greece etc.  

9 hours ago, cruz_happy said:

Thank you both for this input. You have been quite helpful.  I will begin my research.  Sounds promising. 

A few tips that I think are still valid.  You'll get a better deal at a retail store in the city itself as opposed to one in the airport.  So unless you really, really need the service as soon as you land, go into town and then get one near your hotel.

Not all companies offer the same thing to you.  Decide how much data you might need/want and where you might need/want to call.  The various companies offer different combinations of these for different prices.  Prices vary between companies for the same packages.  

In the store, they will likely perform the SIM card switch and activation for you if you ask them to.  That makes it much simpler than you taking it back to your hotel and doing it yourself.

Keep your original SIM card in a safe place as you will need to re-insert it upon return to the US to resume your current service.

• Like 1

I had an unlocked iPad Mini that I'd take with me to Italy before I got a smartphone.  I'd just go to the TIM store downtown Rome on Via Tritone and buy a cheap data-only card.  Did everything I asked it to do, including being my GPS for driving from Rome-Florence and hitting some Umbrian and Tuscan sights along the way.   The TIM store always put the card in for me.