Top tips for Iona?

Jonesthecat

When we were on Iona the formal night was the 2nd night of the week.

We ate at the beach house which was Mexican and was very good.

Other than that we ate in the MDR every night and for breakfast each day. We had no issue with the food.

Getting drinks was only a problem 1time in Brodie’s it was packed, and also in the Crowsnest.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, davecttr said:

What night was whatever they call the formal night ? 

I see the two smaller MDR's on Arvia will be an american Diner and a relocated Olive Grove so I expect Iona to convert as well, eventually.

I am going to revert back to my childhood for the meals experience with the main meal at lunchtime and snacks in the evening. Hopefully no queues.

Dave, it is now showing the black tie nights on our itinerary on cp for our holiday in October.

Good idea re the food. I love the idea of being served in the mdr, but a three course meal is too much to eat. Also even if you have a table for two you still have to wait for them to serve you the same as if you were sitting at a larger table. So if you only want a main course, you have to wait until the tables nearby have finished their starters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, emam said:

Dave, it is now showing the black tie nights on our itinerary on cp for our holiday in October.

Good idea re the food. I love the idea of being served in the mdr, but a three course meal is too much to eat. Also even if you have a table for two you still have to wait for them to serve you the same as if you were sitting at a larger table. So if you only want a main course, you have to wait until the tables nearby have finished their starters.

I was also advised that because I inject Liraglutide daily my digestive system has slowed down so I don't feel hungry very often and some snacks may be better than 3 large meals per day.

EDIT - took some time to find cruise personaliser , tere must be an easier way

Edited by davecttr

On 4/10/2022 at 9:11 AM, Dobbers said:

Hi, we would highly recommend the Keel and Cow. It’s an extra charge but excellent food and service. For lunch we often used the Quays as the fish and chips were delicious and also a decent range of salads.

On sea days the Skydome was very busy and we did see towels on seats quite early in the morning 🙄 nice area to sit if you use the buffet for breakfast.

Iona is a beautiful ship and we really enjoyed her despite the size.  Would recommend looking at the deck plans before going so you have a good idea of where you’re going once onboard.
Enjoy your cruise

Hi how early can you use the pools and hot tubs please

Another Iona query. We are toying with the idea of a cruise on her and like the look of the seaview cabins. Some pics show sofa on window side of bed and some on wardrobe side. Would prefer it by window but have no idea how to find out which cabins have that set up. Can anyone help there please?

Hard to work out unless you have been on her . I tried to work out then you get confused with starboard and port side can change some connecting cabins etc .If you want to pick a cabin no someone might have been on her .We had cabin 10704 bed was next to balcony with connecting door nobody in that one 10702 was opposite near wardrobe if that helps

18 minutes ago, Bin man said:

Hard to work out unless you have been on her . I tried to work out then you get confused with starboard and port side can change some connecting cabins etc .If you want to pick a cabin no someone might have been on her .We had cabin 10704 bed was next to balcony with connecting door nobody in that one 10702 was opposite near wardrobe if that helps

Thank you Bin man. We are not interested in a balcony as it will be a winter cruise. I will just have to hope someone pops on here who has stayed in one. We don't mind if it's port or starboard for that time of year.

I'm not good at explaining. If you look at the plans where the two doors are (indented) if the dent is on the left of the cabin the bed is by the window. If it's on the right the sofa is by the window.

We had cabins 12524 and the bed was by the window and my mother had 12526 with the sofa by the window. 

I hope this helps but I am sure someone could explain it better than me!!

Screenshot_20220426-124601_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Just 47 said:

Can anyone tell me when can you book the spa on iona please,can you do it before sail date or have to book it on the ship thank you

Hi

You have to book your spa/Retreat/Thermal Suite slot(s) once you are onboard. Get your cruise card as soon as you can - it’ll be on your cabin door - then get to the Oasis reception on Deck 6 just past the art gallery. 

Hi

Is there an easy to read summary of the different restaurants available on Iona for Breakfast, Lunch and Evening Meal?

I am thinking something which would specify dining opening times/buffet or service/cuisine type/included or at extra charge

I am a newbie to P&O (Norwegian Fjord Cruise in July) so I am not at all familiar with the names of restaurants being mentioned in various threads, especially when people are advising booking tables for some restaurants early.

Note we are also travelling as a group of 14 and for evening meal we would love to dine at the same time on the evening understanding that we might have to split onto more than one table. If certain restaurants above would be difficult for big parties, it would also be useful to know this.  Thanks in advance. 

If you can get a paper brochure either from a local travel agent or request online from P&O, there is a two-page spread near the back of the brochure that lists all eating places and has them divided into included and extra charge.

Restaurant timings are variable and subject to change and I've never seen them listed. The daily programme delivered to your cabin does however list opening times.

With regard to your party size, it might help to talk to the main dining room manager and/or the front desk of any venue you are interested in.

4 hours ago, CruiseBoy72 said:

Hi

You have to book your spa/Retreat/Thermal Suite slot(s) once you are onboard. Get your cruise card as soon as you can - it’ll be on your cabin door - then get to the Oasis reception on Deck 6 just past the art gallery.