Sky Princess - blog as we sail - Mum, Dad & Teenager!

Maizie_Mouse

Day 2 

A day at sea & the clock went ahead 1 hour over night, slept really well, got up at what we thought was about 8.30 but really was 9.30 our phones hadn’t auto adjusted because not connected to a mobile network, anyway after a little confusion we headed up to Market place for breakfast, big mistake… so crowded & a bit chaotic we seemed to be walking round in circles to find a selection of food, I thought both ends would mirror each other but it didn’t unless it’s because we were so late up there. 

Nothing much on the patter that floated our boat (pardon the pun) so headed back to our room for a while, me & son had been taking travel sick pills regularly while going through B o B, there was a bit of a swell & you could feel a wobble at times but thankfully nothing more than that, I had been so worried based on my previous experience passing through B o B, not sure if it was the meds or just feeling so chilled out we fell asleep for a couple of hour’s.

while we were sleeping hubs went to try & sort out connections to medallion net, it just wasn’t working well for him on an iPhone I’m on android & managed to connect, a vital instruction missed off the instructions is once connected to the ship WiFi you had to open an internet page & type - login.com bingo it works, you have to come off WiFi on 1 device so you can log onto another if you are using a phone & iPad, not too bothersome now we know how to use it properly, you just have to go back to the landing page to reconnect that device you want to use.

Went to find hubs who’d found a quite spot to sit near future cruise desk to sip his Bloody Mary, feeding time again & as we were so close to Alfredo’s we joined the line there (hubs had already spied out buffet & he wasn’t inspired) waited no more than 10 mins for a table at about 1:45, it’s true what they say about those pizzas there were fab & pizza is not my 1st choice of food, I had the calzone omd! It was superb, I do have a few pics so will see if I can post before we leave port (currently in La Rochelle)

went up to the ice cream place on D16 for a cone, then just chilled for the rest of the afternoon until time to get ready for 1st formal night dinner, we’d booked table at Ciello for 6:40, didn’t feel over crowded in there, menu had plenty for all, son had medallion of beef, hubs & me had herb crusted roast leg of lamb, very tasty although could have done with a tad more on the plate, dessert son had crème brûlée, it’s his fav, I had caramel pecan cheesecake - yum & hubs had the sugar free semolina tart not my thing but he liked it.

by the time we left it was after 8 so headed to the show Rock Opera standing room only so only stayed for a little while but what I saw/heard it was great.

Headed to Bellinis for a drink & to play a couple of games I’d brought with. Nice evening just chilling & watching people go by, for those wondering how formal formal is, there were a lot of men in tux but there were plenty in regular suits or shirt & jacket & trousers, I think what ever you feel comfortable in will work, lots of ladies in long sparkly dress & plenty who looked very dressed up in shorter dresses or trouser outfits like me who’s not really a dress person, palazzo trousers sparkly top & I’m a happy bunny.

• Like 2

🍕 Pizzas 🍕

Hawaiin without the meat, vegetarian & calzone without the meat all were super delish & we'll defo go back for more before the cruise is done not just for the pizza but because I want turamisu 😊

Collage_20220411_171233.jpg

Edited by Maizie_Mouse
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

Hi CD is Andi sorry don’t know his surname, he’s from Devon seems a really nice & jolly sort chap 😊

Andi Sanders

FYI he was the CD on Regal when filming occurred for Cruising with Susan Calman (aired over the last two weeks on Channel 5/My5)

4 hours ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

Hi CD is Andi sorry don’t know his surname, he’s from Devon seems a really nice & jolly sort chap 😊

Thanks. I think he is Andi Sanders, and he was on the CD team on our Sky November 2019 transatlantic. He did his impresonation of Ms. Champagne. I heard he is going over to the Island Princess, I think later this month. (We are on the Sky, April 23 Norway Cruise).

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

The new carpeting is SO much better than the old gold with the white circles.  Can't stand that anymore.

Yes I find the decor is tasteful & neutral in lots of places. That 1 if things I had against NCL the decor was very loud when we did the Gem many years ago.

Just now, Suite Susie said:

Marie, how did you handle the covid testing?  Very interesting review so far, thank you. 

I booked test with DocHQ online for the day before, I booked about 3 weeks in advance, tests arrived within 2 days, very efficient service, logged on at 10am to do the observed test & we had the certificates by 10:30. Definitely recommend them.

• Like 5

Day 3 La Rochelle

Woke about 8 & we’d already parked up, not the prettiest of docks, pikes of sand & grit which resembled more or a building site! So after the previous days chaotic breakfast in the buffet we were going to go to breakfast in the MDR Estrella is the only 1 of the 3 that is open until 9am, only trouble is try to get the other 2 to shake a leg!

Got down there with 10 mins to spare a bit of a queue, perhaps others had same idea as us after the buffet experience…

A staff member came out & took us down to Ciello thought perhaps they were full, turned out somebody took I’ll & needed medical help so they were clearing the way, hopefully nothing too serious & they will be ok.

A much more civilised breakfast experience, looked at menu decided what we all wanted, juice, tea & coffee came, another came round with muffins & danish while we waited, it was a little slow & by the time we got our main breakfast we were all starving. We will try buffet again to see if it was a 1 off or if it’s just crazy all the time at breakfast.

back to room because we now had mobile network coverage again hubs needed to make a couple of calls before we got off. They were issuing tickets for the shuttle & said that later in the morning when rush had gone you no longer needed a ticket, I thought by 11 we’d be ok, nope still calling ticket groups, so collected a ticket sat by Bellinis with a coffee to wait, the clock was ticking by & we’re still waiting, at 12:40 we’d had enough so went to give tickets back so someone else could have them & they said it could be any time now we got called, so we gave it another 15 mins & yes we got called along with anyone else waiting to get off..

it was a lovely warm sunny day & once we’d done the 25 min bus ride we just wandered around the streets, only stayed off about an hour, headed back to bus & was back ship just after 3, went straight up to Market place for a quick bite to eat, not too much though as we had Crowne Groll booked for dinner as our anniversary treat because we didn’t go out to celebrate last week on the actual day because of trying stay covid free.

Before we set sail Captain came on to apologise for late departure, a few tour buses were stuck in traffic (always good to take a ship tour if arrival time back to ship is close to departure time - nothing would stress me out more seeing it pull out & we’re not on it…) and to explain what happen with the shocking shuttle bus arrangement in the morning, apparently they had ordered 20 buses from French Tourist Board to come only 11 were sent, because of covid a lot of bus companies closed so they couldn’t send more, then drivers had to have 45 min break every 4 hours & because some had come a long distance they needed their break just as a lot folk were wanting to get off - at least we know know, but why they never told princess this in advance of the day at least alternate arrangement could have been made!

Crowne Grill did not disappoint, we all had the black & blue onion soup without the blue cheese on top, we had filet mignon, New York strip & veal chop, it was all delicious, then dessert creme brûlée honeycomb cheesecake for me, triple chocolate treasure for son & apple & rhubarb for hubs, but we couldn’t eat until they sang happy anniversary to us & had given us a chocolate dessert box treat (now way we’re we attempting to eat that as well so we asked to take it back to our room & we’ll have it tomorrow). We booked to go again next week, we ended up with some onboard credit, more about that later in the week.

the was a lot of rocking & rolling in the B o B quite a few unsteady people walking past as we sat in the bar area of the grill, we’d missed the start of the show, tonight was the ventriloquist that should have been on Saturday but turns out he’d lost his voice, as much as I wanted to see him (I’d read on other threads he was good) I didn’t feel to comfortable with all the sway, so decided I’d be happier just chilling on the bed.

tomorrow is another day in Bilbao, weather expected to we warm & sunny so my 2 can crack out the shorts 😀 

the internet has been pretty stable for us, able to get emails through, son on TikTok or YouTube  & search web if needed but most important for me WhatsApp with pupdates from my friend who’s looking after my fur baby. The app on the other hand for me on android seems to freeze but hub on iPhone has better results. I end up using the tv to book the restaurants. We used iPhone for crew chat tonight to report a semi power outage in our room & when we got back after dinner it was fixed 😊

Edited by Maizie_Mouse

I’m enjoying following along on your cruise,  hopefully you will find a breakfast schedule that works for you.  We usually do okay in the MDR, As we are early risers, if it’s prime time a pastry from the cafe, or Bistro Sur mer is a good option. 

I’ve never not had an issue in La Rochelle, and the different ships, different companies always blame it on the French Drivers! 

just a tip, for others who may be sailing later in the year, go past the shuttle queue, building and there are regulated taxis, fixed fee, but I can’t actually remember the cost.  We chose that option when the queues are long. 

enjoy Bilbao. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pink-belle said:

I’m enjoying following along on your cruise,  hopefully you will find a breakfast schedule that works for you.  We usually do okay in the MDR, As we are early risers, if it’s prime time a pastry from the cafe, or Bistro Sur mer is a good option. 

I’ve never not had an issue in La Rochelle, and the different ships, different companies always blame it on the French Drivers! 

just a tip, for others who may be sailing later in the year, go past the shuttle queue, building and there are regulated taxis, fixed fee, but I can’t actually remember the cost.  We chose that option when the queues are long. 

enjoy Bilbao. 

They were not allowing people off said there was no other way to get from Port & I definitely didn't see taxis out there it was only coaches. 

I'm desperate for a decent cuppa tea, usually it the tea so I bring my own but they have twinning son board but they use uht milk & it tastes awful 🙁 will see if I can get small carton of fresh milk when we get off today & keep in room fridge 

• Like 2

Turns out our mini power outage last night was because of my hairdryer, I brought my own because I hate those little piddly ones where you have to keep your finger on the button to keep it blowing, looks like curly hair for rest of the trip! Not sure how it took 2 nights for it to blow a fuse! 

Edited by Maizie_Mouse
  • Haha 1