Sky Princess - blog as we sail - Mum, Dad & Teenager!

Maizie_Mouse

Hi all

I’m hoping to get a blog post as we sail on the current cruise that left Southampton on 9th April 2022 heading to France, Spain, Gibraltar  & Portugal. Feel free to pop on any questions about the ship & I’ll try my best to reply.

So we booked this cruise just after Christmas as a special holiday to celebrate our 25th Wedding anniversary, we added Princess Plus as we felt it was a good deal especially as it included tips.

Please excuse any typos I may have missed, predictive text & auto correct sometimes thinks it knows best 😅

Day1 - Embarkation day.

Having read of the embarkation troubles on the cruise before us I was a little worried but it would seem Princess had sorted out any issues they had.

We arrived at the Terminal at 10:30 for an 11am checkin time, we joined the CPS car parking line, waited about 20 mins until they got to us, checked the car, got  cases & off we went, dropped the bags & went inside to checkin. The line looked big but actually moved very quickly. All docs checked, medallions on, we were directed to a row of seats, we were called row by row to proceed to security and that was it, we were on the ship by 12.

We had a little wander round to find our cabin but it wasn’t quite ready, so headed back down to the International Cafe for a light lunch, nice selection of sandwiches, little pies & sweet treats as well as teas & coffee’s.

We went to see if room was ready & it was, bags down quick wipe round with antibac wipes just to be sure, very happy with the cabin, we have a mini suite on deck 12 I wanted a bit more space & a guaranteed sofa bed for my son (he’s too big for a bunk!) I will try & post pics if the medallionNet will allow it to upload.

Met our room attendant Way-Ann from Bali very friendly & brought us our welcome on board glass of champagne just because we had a mini suite, don’t mind if I do…

Went for a wander up to the pool area, hubs & son were hungry again so had a slice of pizza, the we had an ice cream, all were good.

Back to room & cases had been delivered so started to unpacked, sail away delayed by about 45 mins because of a delay getting baggage on board, stayed on balcony for sail-away & chatted to our neighbours either side.

Hungry again, thought I’d better try book a table, too late earliest I could get was 8.20 so went to the buffet but then made sure I booked for 2nd night before we went to bed. A fairly decent selection of food some of which was on the menu in the main restaurant. I had some roast fillet of beef, oh my days is was divine literally melt in the mouth. Desserts on the other hand were a little poor. 

Went to the shops to check out the Chanel event which turned out to be a non event, thought I’d pic up my fav perfume at a slightly reduced price, didn’t even have it, disappointed as after No.5 It has to be the next most popular alas no Coco Chanel for me here.

Went on to the photo shop to get son a wrist strap for his medallion the lanyard was annoying him, $12 for a silicone strap not too bad. Headed on to the theatre for the 1st show which according to the patter should have been Gareth Oliver a ventriloquist (previous cruise said he was good) instead we had a very lame comedian who’s name I can’t even remember! Afterwards went to a bar for a glass of wine then decided it was time for an earlyish night, it had been a long day.

Edited by Maizie_Mouse
  • Like 6

22 minutes ago, phabric said:

Following along.

Which terminal did you from? Mayflower or QEll?

How many passengers on board?

Out of Mayflower but back into QEII. Not sure how many on board, doesn’t seem manic except for the buffet at breakfast this morning, we were later because of mixup with clocks, thought our phones had gone ahead the hour but they hadn’t so when we got up there it was after 10 & mega busy but perhaps others had same issue with the time 🙈 seems to be a much older crowd considering it’s school hols.

Can you please post a picture of the sofa bed open? Or at least comment if you can get to the balcony if it is open. DD does not mind upper berths but the larger cabin would also be a plus. Also interested in how comfortable he thinks it is. 
Thanks and enjoy your cruise. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SSAtlantic said:

Can you please post a picture of the sofa bed open? Or at least comment if you can get to the balcony if it is open. DD does not mind upper berths but the larger cabin would also be a plus. Also interested in how comfortable he thinks it is. 

Having problems getting photos on at mo, but in regards to sofa bed yes you can get out to balcony when it is made up, it the length of the sofa as opposed to coming out in to floor space, son slept really well, he said it was quite firm. Hope that helps. 😊 I will post a pic if & when it will allow me, it’s probably more to do with strenght of the medallionNet.
When we are in port tomorrow I’ll see if I can tether my phone to get a better signal.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

Having problems getting photos on at mo, but in regards to sofa bed yes you can get out to balcony when it is made up, it the length of the sofa as opposed to coming out in to floor space, son slept really well, he said it was quite firm. Hope that helps. 😊 I will post a pic if & when it will allow me, it’s probably more to do with strenght of the medallionNet.
When we are in port tomorrow I’ll see if I can tether my phone to get a better signal.

That's awesome - I will be on the sofa bed on the next Sky cruise so glad it was a good sleep for your son!

• Like 2

Can you ask Guest Services if B2B cruisers need a Covid test between the two cruises?

Someone presently on the Discovery (North America cruise) were told Princess cruisers no only need a COVID’s test between cruises on a B2B.

Thanks for all the info and taking timeout of you hols to update us.

We are looking at Enchanted Princess for two weeks in July and I was wondering if you know if Camp Discovery is fully open? We are hoping that the children can do the usual thing of heading off when they wish to have some fun as they did on our last Princess cruise on the Sapphire.

On Iona for the last two times we were on they only worked in bubbles with set times each day that our children could attend. Times were random and meant that we never used the kids club despite this being a favourite activity for our children pre-covid.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, phabric said:

Can you ask Guest Services if B2B cruisers need a Covid test between the two cruises?

Someone presently on the Discovery (North America cruise) were told Princess cruisers no only need a COVID’s test between cruises on a B2B.

I did a b2b on the sky a few weeks ago, you had to do a Covid test for the 2nd cruise, this was done free of charge in the vista lounge 

1 minute ago, antsp said:

I did a b2b on the sky a few weeks ago, you had to do a Covid test for the 2nd cruise, this was done free of charge in the vista lounge 

The person on the Discovery last week were told no test between B2B cruises maybe it’s only for USA cruises

3 hours ago, SSAtlantic said:

Here's what the sofa bed a d 4th berth look like when made up in a Mini-suite aboard the Royal class ships.

It does not fold out and block the balcony - and if you're only using the sofa bed, obviously there's no ladder impeding any space at all.

571d6a53ab6fd472193693.jpg

• Like 2

As we got off Sat the last count I heard(you get different numbers every time you ask) for this one was 3700 with a 400+  kids

Sounded a bit high for the total as they were still selling cabins late last week.

Good they have got embarkation sorted probably less covid with the masking up.

Given up on CPS as they are too expensive.

Max £5pd West Quey with taxi max £10 each way 14n <£90 and less hanging about in the CPS queues.

3 hours ago, phabric said:

On the Sky  now and those on the next cruise to Norway need to do the covid test on return to Soythampton

3 hours ago, shipper23 said:

Can you tell us the policy of wearing masks onboard and also if there is a kettle in the cabin

Thank you

Currently masks must be worn at all times in indoor public places, lifts, corridors et etc can be removed for eating & drinking. Tbh I've not seen too many not adhering to this, so fingers crossed we can all enjoy an isolation free cruise. 

There are kettles on Sky for all the English departures. 

6 hours ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

We arrived at the Terminal at 10:30 for an 11am checkin time, we joined the CPS car parking line, waited about 20 mins until they got to us, checked the car, got  cases & off we went, dropped the bags & went inside to checkin

Does that mean that there was already a long queue of cars in the CPS parking line when you got there?  We are also in the first Arrival Groups for our cruises in May and June so trying to work out when CPS start processing passengers and if others are getting there extra early?

4 hours ago, Bgees said:

Thanks for all the info and taking timeout of you hols to update us.

We are looking at Enchanted Princess for two weeks in July and I was wondering if you know if Camp Discovery is fully open? We are hoping that the children can do the usual thing of heading off when they wish to have some fun as they did on our last Princess cruise on the Sapphire.

On Iona for the last two times we were on they only worked in bubbles with set times each day that our children could attend. Times were random and meant that we never used the kids club despite this being a favourite activity for our children pre-covid.

Kids clubs are running although my 14 Yr old has no interest in going 🤦🏼‍♀️ they left the welcome pack in our room with the full 2 weeks itinerary. No mention of bubbles. 

Some have posted from thd last cruise that there was supposed to be 400 kids on this cruise, but I've not seen too many, maybe they all hiding 😂

1 hour ago, dides said:

Does that mean that there was already a long queue of cars in the CPS parking line when you got there?  We are also in the first Arrival Groups for our cruises in May and June so trying to work out when CPS start processing passengers and if others are getting there extra early?

There may have been people turning up before their time slot. There might have been 35/40 cars it was also have been a way to slow down amount of people going into terminal at once. We got to the terminal 10.30 & were going to take detour to get a coffee but decided not to, glad we didn't or it would have been later that we boarded. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

Currently masks must be worn at all times in indoor public places, lifts, corridors et etc can be removed for eating & drinking. Tbh I've not seen too many not adhering to this, so fingers crossed we can all enjoy an isolation free cruise. 

There are kettles on Sky for all the English departures. 

So have all the “sip and cover” signs gone now? They were in virtually every venue last week.

1 minute ago, Eglesbrech said:

So have all the “sip and cover” signs gone now? They were in virtually every venue last week.

Can't say I've seen any sip & cover signs but have seen staff asking people to put mask on if they walking round without. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maizie_Mouse said:

Can't say I've seen any sip & cover signs but have seen staff asking people to put mask on if they walking round without. 

Hope you are having fun. Glad things have relaxed a little from the last cruise.

Random thought, Try the chocolate desserts, I am not a pudding person but they are pretty good. I mainly prefer cheese for dessert and while they only offer Gouda and  Brie every single night, if you ask they have many more choices available.

• Like 2