Can I live without a balcony??

DALSAL

Ive booked the Splendour for July 16th cruising from Venice with a balcony..as I see my cost mounting quickly(airfare is as much as the cruise),Im wondering if I can live without the balcony.Im so spoiled to one,especially on the at sea days.

The ports are Venice,Ephesus/Kasadasi Turkey,Athens,Dubrovnik Croatia.Then two days at sea...

Any ideas out there? Thanks,Dot

For my first 15 cruises, I didn't have a balcony. Then we had a balcony for the next 2 cruises, then back to a regular outside cabin. I mean, they are nice & I enjoy them, but unless I could get a really good deal, a regular outside cabin with a picture window is fine with me.

I guess its just a personal preference.

Sure you can live without one. They are nice and lately we've been getting them because they are a good deal for Diamond C & A, but if push came to shove, we could get along fine without one. I've found that on the ships with balconies (most of them are now) there is quite a lot of extra room on the regular decks outside. I envy you taking a Mediterranean cruise. Get up on deck when you come into Venice. You'll get a much better view. Have fun! Boy, am I jealous!

LOL...thanks for both of your quick responses :) I know,I know..but its so easy to just pop outside and see whats going on:)

Actually,the cruise leaves from Venice,so no getting up on deck as its coming into Venice.Thats one reason why Im thinking of all trips I should have one here because the ship seems to be sailing in a passage way of sorts (Im sure it has a proper name).So,Im wondering if its that close to land I might need the balcony...LOL here I go trying to talk myself into one again! Dot

If you plan on sailing in the Medeterranian again sometime, then maybe you could skip the balcony this cruise, but if it's a once-in-a-lifetime trip (like ours was!), you really ought to get a one if at all possible--we regret not having a balcony last year on our med cruise...

I can't imagine doing a Mediterranean cruise without a balcony! I'll admit I'm biased. I wouldn't do any cruise without a balcony but that's my personal preference. We spend a lot of time in our cabin and on our balcony.

So, while you may be able to live without a balcony, I would not! :p ;)

My vote is to stick with the balcony! :cool:

It's sounds like you are looking for justification from us on one direction or the other.. (keep it or downgrade).. as a mole that stays in INSIDE cabins I'd say "save the money".. but you need to decide if the extra space would be worth it base on how much time you'd plan on being in the cabin or on the balcony. I enjoyed the breakfast in the dining room where I'd meet other cruisers... so would not opt for room service on a balcony.. if that is something you'd enjoy, it might be worth it ... for you.

tommorre1... saw your name as a responder and expected "woof woof"

Yeah, I'm feelin' kinda mellow... I'ts my youngest Granddaughter's 4th birthday today, and I kinda promised the DSLW I'd behave at the party, so I'm getting into the "nice" mode this morning.

But, don't worry, I'll be back in form Monday!

We sailed the Med without a balcony. We did spend a lot of time up on deck, and the departure from Venice is a wonderful experience--I think about it almost everyday, it's one of my fondest travel memories. The price difference for us was $2,000 , and there was just no way I could justify that, not with how expensive all of the tours are in port. We just made adjustments, we were up early every morning to see our arrival into port--Naples was very beautiful. Somehow the colors there are very different, everything has a golden glow , especially at sunrise or sunset. I know we would have loved having the balcony, but we had a wonderful trip without it, and it just means you have more money leftover toward the next cruise! I know you will have a wonderful trip, however you do it.

I can't wait to get back myself--and I wouldn't need a balcony to do it!

Ive booked the Splendour for July 16th cruising from Venice with a balcony..as I see my cost mounting quickly(airfare is as much as the cruise),Im wondering if I can live without the balcony.Im so spoiled to one,especially on the at sea days.

The ports are Venice,Ephesus/Kasadasi Turkey,Athens,Dubrovnik Croatia.Then two days at sea...

Any ideas out there? Thanks,Dot

Can you live w/o a balcony, that question was answered for me on a trip to New York a few years ago. When I was riding the subway one night I saw more than a few people sleeping in a subway car because it was warm in there and it was 15 outside. it was the only place they had to go to keep warm. I guess it is a question only you can answer.

I can live without a balcony but I can't live without a window. My husband is somewhat "frugal" so for our last cruise, we had an inside cabin and it was awful (especially after being on a number of cruises where we had outside rooms or balconies). As long as there's some natural light coming into the room, I'm happy!

Oh, what the heck. You're spending thousands of dollars already, so what's a few more hundred. If you don't get one you'll be second guessing yourself until the day you leave and beyond. There is nothing like having some coffee delivered by room service in the morning and starting your day off outside enjoying it, but that's just me...

*Oh, what the heck. You're spending thousands of dollars already, so what's a few more hundred.*

$1600. more to be exact! :) I dont use room service and I dont drink coffee on the balcony..I just like to run outside and see what Im missing!

Im going to try to find some cheaper air monday when Im off work, and then I will decide what to do.

I know it might sound silly to some,but Im so glad I had a balcony for Alaska and I was thinking that this might be the same situation...scenery I probably wont want to miss! Thanks,Dot

I don't think you should equate the European sailing with Alaska; there are no days comparable to the inner passage, and while you do skirt some Islands and coast lines I don't think you would miss the balcony on this cruise. It is indeed personal in the end, and alot depends on how much time you plant to spend in the cabin.

sandbag,thank you,thats what I wanted to know..I was looking at the map,and it looked like it was an inside passage way of sorts...So,if its mostly open seas and not that much scenery to see,I think I might be able to resist :) Thanks,Dot

*So how many hours do you expect to spend on your balcony.......

say 20 hours..........that is $80 / hour.........*

That says it ALL! Im changing to an inside cabin! And,Ive already got the airfare down $570. :)

*So how many hours do you expect to spend on your balcony.......

say 20 hours..........that is $80 / hour.........*

That says it ALL! Im changing to an inside cabin! And,Ive already got the airfare down $570. :)

Which is the reason we seldom book balconies, we'd rather cruise more often and also cruise to nicer spots.

You will enjoy the Med and I predict Dubrovnik will be your favorite port...:)

Archived