Kindle Paperwhite/Kindle Oasis and Princess Medallion Net/WiFi

BabySarge

I had an interesting kindle-medallion issue recently on the Ruby.   I had used my kindle for several days, no problem.   Towards the end of the cruise, I went for a good read, and was informed by Ms. Kindle that “You have no books in your library “.  Really? I have over 200 books. 
At no time did I try to down load a book or connect the kindle online. When I hot back and connect that the home internet, my books still existed in the cloud and I was able to down load to the kindle.   BTW, I also have Kindle app on my iPad with only a few books downloaded.  Those books survived the great book burning .

On 4/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, memoak said:

I use kindle unlimited and will download 10 books before I sail.  If it is a long cruise I may return and download more while in port. I would not trust the shipboard WiFi 

Thats what the DW and I do too. We always keep about 10-15 unread books for a 2 week cruise. That generally can get us through. So far we have not had to download any additional books, even on a 16 day cruise. 

On 9/26/2022 at 11:39 AM, ReligBookFreak said:

It's NOT a Kindle or Amazon problem. It's the way Princess has configured the Medallion Net. It will NOT work with ANY Kindle. I double-checked with the IT guys onboard the Sky Princess, and they said kindles are NOT compatible with the Medallion Net.

Alan

Bingo, its a difference in how the authentication is being performed. On general WiFi, like at your home or other spots, authentication is taking place either in the AP itself or relatively closely as part of the WiFi network itself. With Medallion Net, you connect to it normally for shipboard access (Intranet), but to get through the firewall to outside world (Internet) you have to go through a browser based authentication which has to look up your credential in its database and update said firewall to allow your connections to the outside world.