LIVE! Spirit Panama Canal Journeys Cruise 4/17-5/3 Let’s Cruise!

TravelBluebird

Great evening so far!

Our hotel, the Miami Marriott BIscayne Bay is under renovation (it needs it; I’d call it a bit of a faded beauty at the moment with some peeling door paint and a bit of a mildewy smell in the room). Comfy bed though! And WOW the location!  Unbelievable views from the 23rd floor, including of our ship in port (it came down from Jacksonville so we don’t have a cruise getting off before we get on tomorrow).

AB68438E-EF34-40C2-9B74-73D33B2C1676.jpeg

728F2A06-1127-4823-A797-2D145E7A174D.jpeg

43C58CF3-3B22-48D6-B867-3E64E409CA41.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 3

OK...back to Miami.

We had dinner at Tony Chan’s Water Club. Well, it may be by the water with great water views (so we’ve been told), but there was a private party going on outside on the water so the drapes were completely closed (party seemed to have no affiliation with the restaurant, so no view for us.

However, the restaurant was convenient— in a mini-mall which is attached to a hotel (and just steps away from our hotel); the mini-mall had a coffee shop and some other restaurants and a liquor store if you wanted to buy a bottle of wine to take on the cruise.

Also, we weren’t REALLY there for the view, but for the Peking Duck, which the restaurant is known for.

The Peking Duck was fantastic! Its served as a 2-course meal; the skin done up traditionally with plum sauce and scallions in little pancakes, which is prepared at your table. Then the rest of the duck is taken back to the kitchen and is prepared into a stir fry with vegetables and a Cantonese sauce. The last time we had Peking Duck was in Hong Kong, 7 years ago.

The restaurant has been there since 1991 and has been well-acclaimed and awarded...the latest reviews say its not quite up to its earlier quality overall, which I think is due to the effects of the pandemic.  We could see it in that the restaurant wasn’t full; also they advertise a full bar and I ordered a Lemon Drop Martini, but evidently no bartender because one of the wait staff said she was learning to make the drink (it wasn’t great). Still, the duck was worth the trip for us, and the  wait staff was SO nice and very attentive.

If you visit Tony Chan’s for the duck, note that you may see an online price for $58.95 ,but the new inflationary price is $79.95 (that is for 2 people).

Back at the hotel; planning an early morning Easter service before we board!

01F450CC-7C32-482F-9670-9B4CB41D704A.jpeg

170703BA-6E32-4F4F-9437-4AFCFC120581.jpeg

F32FCA16-13F5-4762-979F-F8C93A8A0EC7.jpeg

67A0E324-846F-4320-B7BC-4CDBDCE791CB.jpeg

CCF371C0-1894-4D2E-AF95-63404C9CBC18.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Moviela said:

Wow, look at the size of that duck! I am not sure, but that might be a turkey. Have a great time in the morning.

😂

Honestly, I think it was the camera angle; I mean, it was a good sized duck but definitely not turkey sized!

Good morning! And Happy Easter!

We’ve had a lovely morning in Miami. Woke up with Macchiatos and light breakfast in a coffee shop in the little mini-mall off the hotel lobby (there are 3 coffee places, including a Starbucks for those so inclined!) and a wonderful walk on the waterfront path that runs in front of the hotel.

We catch our Lyft to the port in 1/2 hour!

John Heald over on Book of Faces posted some stats on our trip—there will be 1,931 Guests (less than I expected; full capacity is 2680). 

We are excited—we are just 2 negative COVID tests away from our Journey!

Some quick photos before we board, of the sunrise light over Port Miami, the coffee shop, and a couple from our walk and the mini mall. Next post will (if all things go as planned!) be from the ship!

E1406F84-976D-4A43-AA80-CA1834CA27F3.jpeg

E96BC090-5A80-4EAC-B27A-F7DBA23B8751.jpeg

B234F26B-9BEE-4B74-8D9A-C9FFE48DA216.jpeg

D634E3FC-5850-4B7A-9B04-6C91AA933A1B.jpeg

B71CE95B-45DF-4421-9BA7-30D78381A478.jpeg

464EE5B0-07AD-45DF-8279-80297D122695.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 1

Our reserved Lyft to the Port went without a hitch—we’ll, except for initially getting in the wrong HONDA SUV with a different driver named David.  Couldn’t check the plate cause it was Up in the air loading our luggage! Don’t be us, always see the plate number first! 

The Lyft cost us $11.71 Plus a generous tip.

We arrived at port at 11:15.  It is now 12:08 and we are awaiting the results of the embarkation COVID tests.  Lines have been organized and all indoors.  Test was a regular nose swab NOT the brain intrusion one!

The wait is a little stressful.  No tears or upset people here in the waiting area so far. 🤞

• Haha 1

We both got our negative tests very quickly—within 5 minutes!

Rooms ready immediately when we got on board!

Went to the muster station,  got Guy Burgers no line (yum hot and fresh) my Fun Ship drink, ran around and explored the ship (I don’t think it’s fancy enough—more Rococo 😂) and all luggage was at room andante 1:30  we are now unpacking!

65293F87-AE99-467C-934E-216A50C8D06F.jpeg

134A3DDF-0DDF-46E2-BCDD-58DA3F7C06EF.jpeg

7E14098E-6564-4010-A6C9-F06FF43EF78A.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, workfromship said:

Thanks for the Covid testing update! Glad to know the testing process will be painless! My wife and I are currently en route to the port for our 1pm embarkation time. Looking forward to getting onboard!

How did it go?  We couldn’t tell if the line was getting longer or not as we got inside

Our time from step out of the Lyft to on board was 1 hour 10 minutes with an 11:30 boarding time

46 minutes ago, TravelBluebird said:

How did it go?  We couldn’t tell if the line was getting longer or not as we got inside

Our time from step out of the Lyft to on board was 1 hour 10 minutes with an 11:30 boarding time

It wasn’t too bad! We got there at 12:40 for our 1pm boarding time. The line stopped moving for a good 30min and at one point and there was a long line that spanned outside of the building. Once we got through the baggage check, the line moved much faster though. We got the Covid results text at 1:55 and we were onboard 10min later. So I think our boarding time was not much longer than yours!

2 minutes ago, workfromship said:

It wasn’t too bad! We got there at 12:40 for our 1pm boarding time. The line stopped moving for a good 30min and at one point and there was a long line that spanned outside of the building. Once we got through the baggage check, the line moved much faster though. We got the Covid results text at 1:55 and we were onboard 10min later. So I think our boarding time was not much longer than yours!

That is awesome! And it was so nice to have the luggage so early too!  I’ve only heard of 1 couple so far that didn’t pass the test (they think it was lingering from an earlier case of COVID). 

See you on board; say hello to hubby and me if you see us!

Done packing; having the rest of my Fun Ship in room and on balcony, which I saved in my Kleen Kanteen tumbler (with silicone tipped reusable straw; kills 2 birds with one stone) still nice and cold!  Hubby is napping and after more ship exploration and then the sail-away party!

Our evening plans include MDR, the Welcome Party, and 1 or 2 of the comedians’ shows—we have Manny Acosta and Jimmy Della Valle tonight,

44297E94-5593-4086-A73F-8EB9F89D2F03.jpeg

43C38B2D-B860-4DDD-ABD9-5252441AF457.jpeg

Edited by TravelBluebird
Add photos!
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, NWACruiser said:

You will be blown away by the cruise through the canal.  I did it coming from the west to the east.  

Also, do you have plans for Cartagena?

We are so excited!

in Cartagena we are doing the Deluxe Walking Tour of Getsemani

We were on the March 26 and April 9 sailing out of Jax, just off Thursday. If you are fortunate enough to have Jovill for your room service waiter, be sure to tell him Miss Judy said hello! He was our room service waiter on both cruises, our cabins were 7298 first cruise and 5252 second. He remembered me from the first cruise, even the cabin number! Had great service from him. All the crew are awesome! Wish I were going along with you! Enjoy the Panama Canal it’s definitely an engineering marvel!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bostwick girl said:

Enjoy the Panama Canal it’s definitely an engineering marvel!

My great grandfather visited Panama in 1908 when many including President Roosevelt said the same thing. My grandfather wrote "Indoor plumbing is an engineering marvel, the canal is just a ditch."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

My great grandfather visited Panama in 1908 when many including President Roosevelt said the same thing. My grandfather wrote "Indoor plumbing is an engineering marvel, the canal is just a ditch."

OMG that is hilarious! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bostwick girl said:

We were on the March 26 and April 9 sailing out of Jax, just off Thursday. If you are fortunate enough to have Jovill for your room service waiter, be sure to tell him Miss Judy said hello! He was our room service waiter on both cruises, our cabins were 7298 first cruise and 5252 second. He remembered me from the first cruise, even the cabin number! Had great service from him. All the crew are awesome! Wish I were going along with you! Enjoy the Panama Canal it’s definitely an engineering marvel!

We intend to get room service coffee and light breakfast tomorrow so if our waiter is Jovill we will pass on your greeting!  Service overall, so far, has been wonderful!

• Like 1