Will NCL start to accept proof of recovery? positive PCR tests weeks later?

Brooklyn1119

We have a cruise booked May 15th on the Breakaway with our children, one who is 2yrs old and unable to be vaccinated. She is required to provide a PCR test to board (no big deal) but we are currently recovering from Covid soooooo that means there is the risk that she will still test positive on a PCR test in 4 weeks. I know Carnival & RC are accepting proof of recovery with a positive covid test but currently NCL will not and we will have to cancel. We are travelling from Canada to Miami so we need to see if she tests positive ahead of travel which means paying for the test multiple times ($155+ea) 

Has anyone had any experience with still testing positive on a PCR weeks later? i know its a possibility but wondering how big of a possibility that we will have to cancel our much awaited cruise 😢 

You should be fine by May.  DH tested positive for 3 weeks  I was negative within the week.   If I were you I’d buy some over counter test kits and start testing the end up of month.   No need to go to lab/MD until you need the 2 day test prior to sailing

2 hours ago, negn said:

If I were you I’d buy some over counter test kits and start testing the end up of month

For the unvaccinated child that will require the more sensitive PCR test, this will provide little 'comfort'.  It is possible for someone that has had COVID to test positive on a PCR test for as much as 90 days after diagnosis.  Does this mean they will for sure?  No, but it's a possibility.  NCL, at this time, only accepts negative tests (PCR required for unvaccinated children, antigen is acceptable for adults).

Check NCL's Sail Safe page for the policies, there is nothing there regarding accepting "proof of recovery" besides a negative test.

https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe

Ask your health department for a letter for international travel, just in case.  Airlines are accepting letters with proof of the original infection (your childs first positive test within the 90 day time frame).   I would think cruise lines would have similar polices but have not seen it documented anywhere.

If your child had omicron, it seems to clear faster (I'm a contact tracer).   We're getting many patients that get tested after 5 days so they can return to work (even though that's not recommended) according to the new guidelines.

13 minutes ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

Ask your health department for a letter for international travel, just in case.  Airlines are accepting letters with proof of the original infection (your childs first positive test within the 90 day time frame).   I would think cruise lines would have similar polices but have not seen it documented anywhere.

It seems with NCL that proof of a negative PCR test (in the case of an under-12 unvaccinated passenger) is required, no exception.  See the FAQ on the Sail-Safe page - https://www.ncl.com/sail-safe#sail-safe-faq

Specifically, this...

Are Children allowed to sail on your ships if they are not vaccinated?

Children and Teens under the age of 12 can sail aboard our ships unvaccinated. All unvaccinated guests under the age of 12 will be required to bring proof of a negative NAAT test (i.e. PCR) result administered by a verified third party within three days prior to embarkation date. Failure to comply will result in denial of boarding.

Nowhere in that is there an idea that proof of recovery will be accepted in place of a negative PCR test.

11 hours ago, RunBikeCruiseDC said:

If your child had omicron, it seems to clear faster (I'm a contact tracer).   We're getting many patients that get tested after 5 days so they can return to work (even though that's not recommended) according to the new guidelines.

Carnival and RC are accepting the proof of recovery letter but NCL will not, positive PCR means denied boarding no exceptions so im hoping what you’re staying is true and omicron clears faster so thanks for that ☺️

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2022 at 7:34 PM, Brooklyn1119 said:

Carnival and RC are accepting the proof of recovery letter but NCL will not, positive PCR means denied boarding no exceptions so im hoping what you’re staying is true and omicron clears faster so thanks for that ☺️

Norwegian is NOW excepting notes of recovery from your doctor. This is a very recent change. It is all on their web site.

31 minutes ago, TVLady3 said:

Norwegian is NOW excepting notes of recovery from your doctor. This is a very recent change. It is all on their web site.

Unfortunately for that, though, the great majority of cases are now outside of the 90 day window, and nowadays most people appear to be limiting themselves to at-home tests so no proof of infection/recovery.